Replacing snap fasteners

Notices

Replacing snap fasteners

Old 05-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing snap fasteners

Hi Guys,
The plated stud snaps for the cockpit and tonneau have been partially worn to the brass and I would like to change them to Stainless, any hints on drilling out the rivets? (101 of them) Would you replace them with new rivets? or the screw style? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:36 AM
Registered

A sharp drill bit and and a long life on your cordless drill will work. Literally just drill down the center of the rivet. The head will come off first and allow you to push the rivet through and release the snap. Honestly. All my boats have been screws on the snaps, never used rivets. Make sure you use like a flare rivet so it expands behind the fiberglass and isnt pulling on just the area surrounding the hole. When it gets brittle, and you go to pull on it, the rivet will come out if you are just using an Avex style rivet.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:07 PM
Registered

Thanks Jay,
I might use screws, do you use any type of epoxy or sealant in the holes before screwing them down? I am also ordering a new cockpit and tonneau cover from Nordic (less the buttons) have you done any button work...press N snap setting tool looks like the best one for the money?
Old 05-05-2012, 01:36 AM
Registered

I have replaced snaps before on the hull, and very little work with the snaps on the cover themselves. The "set" I had picked up was the type you hammer the center of the snap in with the two halves pushed together, seemed to work okay. On the hull, I normally fill the whole with a putty. I have some that I got from West Marine that I cant for the life of me remember what it is called, but you clean the hole up, and a little of the surrounding area, and then you scrape the stuff in to fill the hole. I let it sit overnight and the next day it is good to drill. Drill a pilot hole for the screw and then install. Good as new! I hope this helps!