Rage through hull depth finder performance

Notices

Rage through hull depth finder performance

Old 09-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rage through hull depth finder performance

Rage owners, do your through the hull depth finders work only when off plane or also when on plane?
Old 09-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Registered

Mine works only off plane, and even then sometimes it doesn't work that great. Mine is glued just under my motor.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:15 PM
Registered

never works
Old 09-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Registered

Mine in my Heat never works either...
Old 09-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

good for 10 mph, thats it
Old 09-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Registered

Good under 30MPH
Old 09-06-2012, 01:51 PM
Registered

Mine is worthless above 25mph in my Heat and even when it seems to be working I dont put much trust in it.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depthfinder transducers do not work well in shoot through applications on cored hulls, and ours are. Mine is erratic too.
The coring attenuates the outgoing and incoming signal.
One thing I have noticed is (and on other boats I've owned) hard bottoms return a better signal than sandy or muddy bottoms.
There is a fix for this if you want to get into it.........
You can remove the coring below your transducer, until you get to the fiberglass laminate. Then epoxy the transducer directly to the fiberglass. If you do this, make sure the coring is glassed or epoxied all the way around the transducer, so water can't get into your coring. You should see a huge improvement in depthfinder performance.
Several bass boats I've owned in the past have a small area in the rear of the pad that isn't cored. Sometimes as small as 2" x 2". I just glassed in a puck style transducer there and they would work at all speeds, even up to 80/90, not that I was looking at them at that speed.
The alternative is a transom mount, but they look awful, and are susceptible to impact damage from lake debris.
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 09-06-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
Depthfinder transducers do not work well in shoot through applications on cored hulls, and ours are. Mine is erratic too.
The coring attenuates the outgoing and incoming signal.
One thing I have noticed is (and on other boats I've owned) hard bottoms return a better signal than sandy or muddy bottoms.
There is a fix for this if you want to get into it.........
You can remove the coring below your transducer, until you get to the fiberglass laminate. Then epoxy the transducer directly to the fiberglass. If you do this, make sure the coring is glassed or epoxied all the way around the transducer, so water can't get into your coring. You should see a huge improvement in depthfinder performance.
Several bass boats I've owned in the past have a small area in the rear of the pad that isn't cored. Sometimes as small as 2" x 2". I just glassed in a puck style transducer there and they would work at all speeds, even up to 80/90, not that I was looking at them at that speed.
The alternative is a transom mount, but they look awful, and are susceptible to impact damage from lake debris.
Regards,
Steve
Thanks Steve and all. I had no idea that the Rage was a cored hull. That explains it. The shoot through the hull transducer works fairly good in my old bass boat up to about 2/3 throttle then I get a lot of air.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rage
Thanks Steve and all. I had no idea that the Rage was a cored hull. That explains it. The shoot through the hull transducer works fairly good in my old bass boat up to about 2/3 throttle then I get a lot of air.
Depthfinder performance is critical on fishing boats, and that is why most of those manufacturers make some provisions to accomodate their customers in this area. I guess it must not be a high priority for perfomance boat manufacturers, because very few of them have functional depthfinders.
Given the high cost of high performance propellers and drives, and the low water levels on a lot of our lakes, maybe (????) some smart company would look into how the fishing boat companies do it .
Best Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 09-08-2012 at 11:16 AM.