rage trim tab high speed questions >

rage trim tab high speed questions

Notices

rage trim tab high speed questions

Old 03-13-2013, 01:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rage trim tab high speed questions

ok guys i am looking for input from guys who have rages that run 85+ mph... i have one with single external steering and no tabs. and get chine at 80 on up . it is a 502 procharged stock drive set up and im wondering how much guys with fast rages use thier tabs if so what angle/ set up length etc. Are they truely a necessary? and is it unrealistic and unsafe to atement 90-95 mph without them. whats the setup and or cure for me wanting a safer stable boat at these speeds? thanks.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:18 AM
Registered

im in search of input on setups on fast rages, drive length , prop etc that could contribute the the cause and cure to this problem of my boat. i always ran a stock merc 30p prop. tell me what you fast rage owners have !! thanks guys!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:22 PM
Registered

My rage has the merc racing trim tabs, dual external steering and merc 525 it was tested by power boat magazine in 2009 by Bob Teague running it at 82 MPH and he reported the rage was rock solid even docile. I personally haven't had it running that fast since I boat at a higher elevation but i have never had any chine walk even with the trim tabs all the way up. My boat when tested was running a Bravo 1 26 pitch prop. I know others have faster rages so they could probably help a little more, I don't recall them saying there boats were unsafe at 90mph.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:08 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Suggest you talk to the guys at Hydromotive.

Basically the larger the pitch which causes more stern lift pushing the bow down which initiates the porpoising and chine walk..

By switching down to a smaller pitch prop or one with less lift such as a Hydromotive Clever style as opposed to a Bravo (both are 4 blades), the handling problems go away... but rpm increases and you are at your limiter now. Actually a supercharged engine does better at higher RPM... some would
also suggest upping the limiter... Hydromotive will explain why. ( runs cooler) and your max torque point moved up and you want to maintain a 1000 rpm spread between max torque rpm and max rpm.

Depending on RPM with the smaller wheel you may also have to move to a 1.36 gearing in your out drive. That will spin the smaller prop 400+ more rpm a WOT throttle, thus allowing for the smaller prop. However at some point you over power the hull design ( larger K Tabs can help there.).

So the option are

1) A prop with less lift such as a hydromotive clever.

2) Running the boat at higher RPM

3) Changing the I/O gear from 1.5 to 1.36.

You simply can not keep going to a larger prop and not incurr handling problems such as chine walk and porpoising per my experience w/o growing the hull... the stuff they never tell you when you are buying all that power!

Last edited by Velocity Vector; 03-14-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:26 PM
Chris
Gold Member

x2

Single engined v-hulls handle better with smaller pitched props...for lots of reasons.

I suggest going to a 1.35 gear aproximately... and going with a smaller pitched props.

Chris
Old 03-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a Rage that ran well over 80. Full hydraulic steering is the ticket to getting one to handle. Just external still has cable play, giving you the chine walk.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:44 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by bobl
I had a Rage that ran well over 80. Full hydraulic steering is the ticket to getting one to handle. Just external still has cable play, giving you the chine walk.
I agree with that statement and also assume anyone going over 70 already has Hyd steering or should anyway.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrstix
ok guys i am looking for input from guys who have rages that run 85+ mph... i have one with single external steering and no tabs. and get chine at 80 on up . it is a 502 procharged stock drive set up and im wondering how much guys with fast rages use thier tabs if so what angle/ set up length etc. Are they truely a necessary? and is it unrealistic and unsafe to atement 90-95 mph without them. whats the setup and or cure for me wanting a safer stable boat at these speeds? thanks.
Do you need tabs, in a word no. I have already been through this exercise like BobL and others on this forum and I wish I had been aware of the forum when I was upgrading my Rage. I started with a safe stock 496 and very soon figured out I needed to go faster. Next step was a whipple supercharger...WOW! My 70mph boat was now going 85! Then the handling issues began. I took advice from people that did not know and installed single ram external steering. Complete waste or time. Next up came the trim tabs, another waste of time (although I do use them from time to time to level the boat). The boat still handled like a POS even with the tabs dropped a bit (which slowed me down). Finally we installed full hydraulic dual ram steering and all my handling issues went away. One day on the water to make my point to non believer in the passenger seat I took both hands off the wheel and put them as far above my head as I could reach-at full throttle! Look Ma no hands! I have since upgraded my whipple for another 75hp and still have no handling issues. Forget the tabs and get the dual ram hydraulic steering and you will be good to go.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:14 PM
Registered

thank you guys!! this is exactly what i was looking for .. ill save the money that would be wasted on tabs and buy steering. any suggestions on best brand or deal to go with? and i do have a hydo 28 prop with no bell that i have not gotten to demo yet to see if it helps any as well.