Heat hatch modifications

Notices

Heat hatch modifications

Old 07-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heat hatch modifications

OK Guys,
Some of you have wanted to see how I rebuilt my rear hatch to flow more and accomodate the larger 871 BS blower I have installed.
Here you go. There are actually 2 things going on here.
1. The system I used to feed the EFI-flame arrestor by adding the middle rear intake. I matched the same size as the corner vents for some continuity in looks.
2. The Eddie Marine thin line billet vents were added to flow air through the engine compartment to further cool the compartment and engine induction.
I recently got reminded how much of a problem this is, and how well these systems work. Normally when we tie off together, or when I am anchored, the boat is facing upwind.
I was at Lake Cumberland a couple of weeks ago, and the boat was just drifiting with the wind to our transom. After a relatively short, moderate speed cruise, the air coming out
of these vents was surprisingly hot, so this does eliminate some hot air. I am sure at speed it is even more effective.
Best Regards,
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Heat hatch modifications-billet-vent.jpg   Heat hatch modifications-hatch-open.jpg   Heat hatch modifications-hatch-transom-view.jpg  

Heat hatch modifications-hatch-vent-efi-flame-arrestor.jpg   Heat hatch modifications-hatch-vent-front-view.jpg  

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 07-10-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a cool place for vents, I saw a 1200HP Nordic in CA with vents like that too. Would never work with my vortech, makes your ears bleed at idle already.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:11 AM
Registered

I have run a blowcharger, and it was a strange sounding contraption. Sort of like ball bearings whizzing around in a coffe can.
I've never run a Vortech, but some friends here do. They seem like a better engineered piece to me.
I do get a little more blower whine with mine with the seat vents.
Actually the ideal place to put some intake vents on the Heat and other Nordics is where the deck sweeps
up at back end of the windshield. I think the factory made some for Chris. You might want to check with Mike on that.
That way you wouldn't have any additional engine noise, and it's a natural high pressure area that should
work even better than my setup.
Regards,
Steve
Old 08-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Registered

Steve, what brand and size cleats did you replace the rear nordic ones with?

looks like you can squeeze an 8" in there if you did some 45* trimming on the cleat side
Old 04-08-2014, 12:19 AM
Registered

+ 1 to Ned's question. Steve what size/brand rear cleats are those?
Old 04-09-2014, 02:01 PM
Registered

Ned I talked to Mike Chandler at Nordic yesterday and he mentioned they are just using Atwood 6 inch pop up cleats now on the new Nordics.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:09 PM
Registered

yeah, the 6" is pretty small tho. barely enough for 2 x 3/8" lines... there's room for an 8" slimline cleat in the back but you'd have to get creative... that's what i plan to do eventually...
Old 04-13-2014, 11:49 AM
Registered

Those cleats are the factory pop ups with the Nordic logo, in Eddie Marine white billet bases, to match my other cleats.
They are just 6"s, and the one on the bilge vent outlet involve some some cursing to install.
The bases have to be shaved down on both sides, and repainted or powder coated.
Steve