My Nordic had a growth spurt! >

My Nordic had a growth spurt!

Notices

My Nordic had a growth spurt!

Old 03-29-2014, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Nordic had a growth spurt!

Or something else is going on. I was getting the ole girl clean for first time this season and I noticed that the rub rail has gaps in it now. Between pretty much all the sections, there is a 1/4" or more gap. It was not like this last year, none of the sections are loose, but it seems to have shrunk. What in the devil is going on here. Is Texas heat that bad that it destroys even rub rail? Or am I just cursed to die from nickel and dime OD. I do not like replacing parts without knowing why something happened so I may ensure it does it not happen in the future.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:29 PM
Registered

My 1990 Nordic Venture has the same problem... I haven't come up with a solution yet.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Jay, As you probably know, we just had one of the worst/coldest winters in recent history. We had a week here in TN where the highs never got above single digits. I think it was cold in TX as well. The plastic in our rub rails does expand and contract. Butch's '96 was developing rub rail gaps so we replaced the entire rub rail, which was a pretty good job. It does look great now.
I have one of these gaps going on as well on port/left side around the back seat. It annoys me, but noboy else has ever said anything about it.
I have replaced my rub rail insert twice because they usually yellow over time. As far a the hard rail next to the hull goes, you can just wait to see what it looks like after you get some hot TX weather and it expands back. It may still leave a small gap. You could fill it with white silicone,
or you can replace some or all of it. You can buy the hard rail and the insert from the factory.
Regards,
Steve
Old 03-30-2014, 12:09 PM
Registered

I need I replace the rubber on my 06 Rage due to gaps as well. I have one pure of the PVC track that is bad as well. Called nordic and the track and tuber where reasonably priced. Mine said shipping would be $110 dollars though? $110! How is that possible in the US?
Old 03-30-2014, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Just food for thought, my rub rail insert had a 1/4 gap last fall on the back section centered on the swim platform, I actually was able to walk the boat front to back with my bare hands pulling towards stern then did the same on the other side and was able to close it back up, its still tight though my boat never sees under 60 degrees.........and a magic eraser will keep them looking new, except for the yellowing

Last edited by blownhammer2000; 03-30-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:32 PM
Registered

Rage- I would assume the high rates arebdue to the length, but I agree, still a lot of mula.

Blown- the rubber insert is in good condition, it's just the actual rail that is the problem. Kind odd since there are screws every 6 inches.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:18 PM
Registered

acetone works well to remove the yellowish discoloration
Old 04-02-2014, 11:06 AM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm

I've had pretty good luck with Soft Scrub to keep my rubber insert looking reasonable.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:13 PM
Registered

Spoke w nordic today and have decided to replace the entire rub rail insert and all. $658 shipped! Ouch! Has anyone used a taco brand rail for their rage? They have some real close to the nordic rail. Haven't pulled the trigger yet but need to by Monday. Boat is going to shop to take care of some Knicks and a extensive buff job.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:29 PM
Registered

658 just for the insert, or for the channels AND the insert. I bought the rubber insert last summer for a heat, was $250 I think. (just the insert)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.