Calling all Supercharged guys! >

Calling all Supercharged guys!

Notices

Calling all Supercharged guys!

Old 07-04-2015, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all Supercharged guys!

Hey guys. So... speed. It's what we all want, it is the reason for being. I want more! Currently sitting at 72mph GPS pretty much all the time with some serious slip numbers. Now, I could dial her in properly, but we all know how speed is. It's like crack! So why not supercharge. One thing I love about the 500EFI is the turn key operation. I change the fluids and impeller and run her all season. No issues. I don't want to lose that.

So, the question is to all the S/C guys. Is your setup reliable, turn key and worry free? Are you whippled or procharged? I figure if I have to swap my prop, I should just do it once. Any insight, info, or comments welcome! Oh, and speed gains, numbers etc would be nice too Thanks guys!
Old 07-06-2015, 08:55 AM
Registered

Almost a 100 views and no a single ounce of insight? The purpose of this thread is to build a positive case for supercharging so in can do a PowerPoint presentation for the wife. She needs encouraging guys! Lol
Old 07-07-2015, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Jay,
This is a complicated subject, and probably why no one has replied. I have been down the Procharger road.
Unless you have someone to reprogram your ECU, which is a MEFI 3 if I am correct. I would leave it alone.
The Whipple is a better engineered piece, and they will swap or reprogram your ECU for you. They are also more expensive.
I currently run a Blower Shop billet 871, as do some of my friends. MY 575 came with throttle body EFI, and is capable of
working with roots style blowers, with some modifications.
You may be able to find a used system. Your current numbers are correct for a Heat with a 500EFI and 4 blade Bravo prop.
I think you can pick up few MPH and some efficiency by having your prop worked, or testing some 5 blades. The Hydromotive P5-X is very consistent on our boats.
If you do add horsepower, and run 75+, I would make sure to add full hydraulic steering, if you don't already have it.
our testing indicates it takes about 17 horsepower to gain 1 MPH on our boats. So 170 HP should get you into the low to mid 80s,
depending on your load and conditions. Increasing horsepower is also harder on your drive. Something to consider.
If you have an XR, you'll probably be ok if you don't run it hard during plane off or hard acceleration on plane.
Best Regards,
Steve
Old 07-07-2015, 06:54 PM
Registered

Yeah, it seems there are a ton of "while I'm at it" situations that pop up. I would like to breach the 80mph mark at the least. My engine is about due this year for a top end refresh. Whipple would definitely be nice, and they do pop up for sale once in a while. I swear I looked at their website not long ago and the stage 1 setup was a lot less than they are now. From what the numbers you listed tell me, to break 80 I would need at least 600hp. (500 at 470, and rounding to needing 8mph). That complete with a 5 blade prop should yield those numbers.

The little bit of research I have done, it seems heads, cam and tune may get me there, and remain reliable since it's still an NA application, but that is the limit of the 500 intake. And the cost can get damn near to a supercharger. But the heads need to come off anyhow. I can do all that myself, minus machine work needed, but have access to a shop and machinist willing to work for food. The NA route is definitely on the table if it can achieve what I want, and can't hurt if I force some air into her later either. Maybe I need to rename the thread lol.

Amazingly enough my 500 was coupled to a B1X, not an XR... i have add on hydraulic, but not to the helm. so funds must be set aside for that as well. Gonna work on selling a testicle still to fund this all. Thanks for the reply Steve. Did you end up keeping the Heat?
Old 07-07-2015, 09:05 PM
Registered

Hi Jay,
Still have the Heat and glad i do. It is still a fun to be out and cruising around. Even when I tow the old girl around I still get waves, honks, and thumbs up. Not getting the tit shots we used to get :/. Maybe the bar is just too high here...we have a Mystic here now, or maybe it's the gray hair?
You are correct, 600HP is the # to run 80. if you decide to NA, that is pretty easy to hit with today's technology, ie 540", more compression, more cam, aluminum heads (I have Darts) ,more fuel/bigger injectors/bigger throttle body. The boat doesn't care where the 600 comes from NA or SC. If you do plan to eventually supercharge, keep the compression down to 9 to1 or less.
Regards,
Steve
Old 07-07-2015, 09:14 PM
Registered

Haha, yeah, in an Army community, the ole girl brings the lookers for sure. Down in Travis amidst the Cigs, Fountains and the like, she isn't quite as impressive to on lookers sadly. But I think she is the most gorgeous of them all.

I am gonna look into my options. The name of the game is reliability. Nothing like turning the key and the engine starting over on the first crank. Do not want to lose that. 80mph would definitely separate me from the herd where I boat. 72mph does the trick most times, but would like it to be a larger margin. That and I am short and losing my hair... gotta make it up somewhere.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:22 PM
Registered

And for any Nordic brothers, I highly recommend Ron Sporl in Birmingham for any hard parts and machine work you need. He has done excellent work for me and several of my my friends here.
EBM and Young Performance, both here are good for programming. I hear Mark Boos is good as well. I think he is in Kenner, LA.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:14 PM
Registered

Thanks Steve, you read my mind. Our localish guy just shut down shop sadly, so I was left wondering who can tune my HO.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:56 PM
Registered

I had aprox. 1000 hp procharger engine. Once I got it dialed in (I personally did all of the programming of the ECM) it was Check Oil, Turn Key, Change Oil and replace impeller every other year. After a few years friends of mine told me I should have the motor gone thru. During winter took motor out and took to shop. After two weeks got a phone call saying motor was ready and he was wondering why I brought it is since everything inside still looked perfect. The person that bought the boat ran it hard and the only thing he broke was the outdrive. I think the boat is now in Nevada

I now have a whipple engines with 120 hrs on them and have had no problems.

It is all in the setup. Set it up wrong and you will be buying new pistons, heads, blocks or all. Been there, done that.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:56 PM
Registered

What was the base for the procharger engine? Stock something or other or custom built?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.