1996 Scandia Engine Bog

Notices

1996 Scandia Engine Bog

Old 07-04-2021, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Scandia Engine Bog

Hello All, hoping to get some help.

I have a 1996 Nordic Scandia with the 7.4litre 454 with the 2 gas tanks (closed bow).

On 2 separate occasions in the last 3 years (we don’t get a very long boating season in Ontario) I’ve had an issue with the engine bogging shortly after takeoff. When it happened the first time, I had it serviced and they said everything seemed ok. They replaced spark plugs and it worked great all of that and last summer but then it happened today. The consistency is that it seems to happen shortly after starting and takeoff- never midway through the ride. Also, the gas tank reading was dropping when it was happening (from full to empty). Boat runs perfectly aside from this and I get about 20-30 hours per year on it.

Has anyone dealt with this before? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

PS- love the boat. Can’t imagine driving anything other than a Nordic now. Great performance and timeless design!
Old 07-04-2021, 08:36 PM
Registered

Just to add- I don’t know that it’s specific to one of the 2 tanks (haven’t had enough time to assess). It actually happened twice today. The first time I left it for about 3-4 seconds and it just got through and ran normally without issue.

Then at the end of the day on the ride home it happened again and I tried to let it get through it again but the engine shut down. I flipped to the other tank and it fired up and we were fine.
Old 10-11-2021, 10:10 AM
Registered

Default Bog

I was plagued with this the first season i had my scandia. Check your anti siphon valves. You have one in each fuel tank all the way towards the rear of the boat on top. It is the 90 degree elbow that is screwed into the tank for fuel supply. I had similar condition and I ordered two new ones before I checked mine. When ibremoved mine they were full of debris. One side seemed practically clogged the other wasn't quite a bad. Replaced them and three seasons without a hiccup ......

I likely could have cleaned them but I chose to replace just to be sure.

It's common on all sorts of boats. boats hope it helps