Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Nordic
Anybody ever here how this ran? >

Anybody ever here how this ran?

Notices

Anybody ever here how this ran?

Old 11-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Chris. Just noticed your chart on prop slip. Had to put a 1 inch spacer on mine , and still have prop slip of about 13%. Should have went with the 1.5 spacer?? Still better than the 18% slip I had before. Hopefully will test before the year ends. Please let us know how the 5 blade works for you. I think that will be my next try,

Ken
Old 12-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 28 OB ran 94 with 900 HP(700 ft. elevation and 90 deg temp, 2 people). Keep in mind that the OEM's (Merc & Illmor) use a different HP standard than the after market. My 900 or the Teague 800 would be about 20-30 hp lower if measured using the same standards as the OEM. Also the Merc 600 is able to correct for altitude changes. So, the other engines will lose more hp due to atmospheric conditions. You need to keep all the variables in mind when comparing. I think upper 80's is about right for an 800. Might see 90 under really good conditions. My slip was always around 14% after a 1" drive spacer. Never tried the 1.5" spacer, it was 17% before the drive spacer.

Bob

Last edited by bobl; 12-01-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bobl,

Thanks for the info.

You are correct in that my boat with the 600sci seems to always run about the same, regardless of temperature or elevation. It also is only about 2mph slower loaded with fuel, gear, and people, than it is empty.

Chris
Old 12-03-2008, 10:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by KMNT598
Ran 86 on gps, with 5 people and full tanks of fuel. Blew up outdrive on last run, new teague plat drive with gear change
(1.35) and 28 labbed bravo prop. Being easy on the drive, so far 87 on gps, still not wide open. Hope to see 90, but will see.
Welcome aboard the Nordic forum Ken. Nice looking Heat. Lonnie Fluent told us about your boat at the 2007 East Coast Nordic Regatta. I asked him how it was running, as I've wondered how a setback box would work on these boats, and he said in classic Lonnie style, "it's running in the 90s, but we are still working on it". I recall they also removed the inner lift strakes behind the step, "for more lift". How did that work out?
13% is not a bad slip % on these boats, BTW. You might want to try a 5 blade (the Hydro P-5X works well) if you haven't already.
How does your boat handle at WOT with the setback box?
Best Regards,
Steve
Old 12-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe Ken's is a different boat. That boat went to IMCO and had their box, transmission and drive. I also saw Ken's boat being built in 2003.

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
Welcome aboard the Nordic forum Ken. Nice looking Heat. Lonnie Fluent told us about your boat at the 2007 East Coast Nordic Regatta. I asked him how it was running, as I've wondered how a setback box would work on these boats, and he said in classic Lonnie style, "it's running in the 90s, but we are still working on it". I recall they also removed the inner lift strakes behind the step, "for more lift". How did that work out?
13% is not a bad slip % on these boats, BTW. You might want to try a 5 blade (the Hydro P-5X works well) if you haven't already.
How does your boat handle at WOT with the setback box?
Best Regards,
Steve
Old 12-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bobl
I believe Ken's is a different boat. That boat went to IMCO and had their box, transmission and drive. I also saw Ken's boat being built in 2003.
Ditto...
Done to reduce lift for ski racing .
Old 12-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bobl
So it has the standard bottom? Makes more sense to me anyway. How did the Imco boat run? Maybe that was the one Lonnie was talking about?
Steve
Old 12-04-2008, 05:05 AM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Dave, you need to change your avator to say "w 598's". How's thing progressing?
Old 12-04-2008, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Going Good Linnie...
I think all the dirty work is done with my projects so it will be time to start the fun stuff pretty quick.
-I should be getting all the stuff back from the shop to put the 525EFI Whipple motor back together in the next couple weeks.
-My personal blocks and pans are with Desert Rage for the custom paint and all my machine work is done. Jim V is still working the Pro1 heads but I expect to have them back in the next two weeks.
-The Bulldogs for the Slingshot have been torn down and the conversion to 900+EFIs with the brand new 4.0 Whipples is underway. The blocks and everything are going to the shop tomorrow. The Canfield heads are going to Jim next week for a full exhaust and chamber port.

Desert Rage (Jon) is helping me out in a big way with these projects thank goodness. Just not enough hours in a day!!
In my spare time I'll probably start a thread on our Flame overhaul with the upgrade to 700hp 588s

Give me call when you get a minute. I'm still beating myself to death over this 4150 to Dom deal I've talked with the top carb guys in the country and they are split down the middle on this (like me).

Thanks,
Dave
Old 12-04-2008, 08:06 AM
Chris
Gold Member

Dave,

My weigh in on the 4150/4500 carb situation, on my BoB Maderia speced 548, is that I tried every carb I could get my hands on while my motor spent a week sitting on a dyno. The annular discharge 1050 equaled the best 4150 on the bottom end, and whooped them on the top end. It also had the smothest, most consistant AFR curves, and broadest overall torque.

Chris

Last edited by CB-BLR; 12-04-2008 at 08:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Anybody ever here how this ran?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.