Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Northeast US
Good winter reading for boat owners especially NE area boaters. >

Good winter reading for boat owners especially NE area boaters.

Notices

Good winter reading for boat owners especially NE area boaters.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good winter reading for boat owners especially NE area boaters.

IMO This is a must for all boat owners but especially for the guys in the north east.

Its a book By Kate Yeoman called Dead Men Tapping.
Great read, and has many coast gaurd rescue stories from the north east some that have had good results and some botched.
The main story is of the Heather Lynn II and how it was hit by a tug and barge on Jefferies Ledge off glouster MA.

There are some stories from CT and maryland etc. Even a tie in for one of the lost sailers who decided NOT to get on the andrea gail the boat that went down in the movie perfect storm.

I have always had a deep respect for the Sea since I was a kid when one of the boats from our marina in CT got hit by a barge at night, Two families were lost.

This book will defiantely give you some respect for the sea and especially make you think about whos in the wheel house of other boats out there.

With all the nasty accidents this year its good reading to make you think twice about how invincible you may feel out on the water.
I know many of the accidents this year were racing related and we all know what can happen and expect when we Push the envelope things may go badly, but there were alot of senseless ones this year too.

You can learn alot about the coast gaurd and thier rescue practices from this one too.

I have nothing to do with the sale of this book I just thought it might be a good read in the down time over the winter.