CT River ( Western Ma.) >

CT River ( Western Ma.)

Notices

CT River ( Western Ma.)

Old 06-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CT River ( Western Ma.)

I see alot of CT River threads on here. All southern Ct area mostly. Great boating area, and I do try to get down there and out to Block, Greenport, etc. whenever time permits.
However, I know alot of folks hang out along the Western Ma. part of the river as well. Specifically, north of the Holyoke dam. Wondering who may be on this site. Thought we could check in here and say Hello and post some pics of the local scene as summer progesses. A lot of folks down river don't even know about this hidden jewel along some of the nicest scenery on the entire river. Plenty of action, and some great sandbars to soak in the scene as well. I run and older Powerplay, usually launch at Brunelles or Mitches, and find myself rafted up at the shallows most weekends. If you see me, say Hello and lets have a beer.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Registered

i go out of brunelles myself pretty much go where the scenery or party is. i run a white scarab. steve
Old 06-16-2009, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey guys I am also on the river And I believe I have seen both of you on the river. Our dock is on the left side going north just before the N Hampton bridge. Older Formula 242

Mark
Attached Thumbnails CT River ( Western Ma.)-pics-06-033-large-.jpg  
Old 06-17-2009, 04:50 AM
Registered

we park up in the shallows quite alot with a bunch of other boats we will have to get together sometime this sat. we are probably going to lower ct. river depending on weather. sun is open. steve
Old 06-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Registered

Glad to see we have a few locals on here. I'm an old river rat myself, and can still remember back 30+ years ago when the water was, shall we say "not user friendly." Boy how things have changed. Thats the beauty of a river. It'll clean itself out eventually as long as you stop dumping everything known to man into it.
We'll definitely need to share some cold ones up at the shallows. When the weekend is right, it's as good as anywhere else I've been, especially considering how close to home we are. I live in Granby, so its an easy drop at Brunelles for me. I also believe I have seen both your boats. Nice rides for sure. I wish I had some electronic pics available from last summer. I'll bet both your rides are in there somewhere.
Now if this damn weather would finally warm up, I might actually find my motivation. Looks like rain right through the beginning of next week.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:37 PM
Registered

You Betcha For A Cold One. This Weather Better Turn Around Soon. Steve
Old 07-07-2009, 08:28 AM
Registered

Default Bad Weekend only got worse

The high water at this point in the summer is really testing my patience... I finally get my mojo to finish up the boat for a Sat launch, and Lo and behold, ramps at Brunelles and Mitch's are closed. Finally on Sunday, Brunelles opens up, so out we go. Current was pretty strong, but made the best of it up at the shallows. Water is still over 7 feet deep in that area.
Not much fun for the kids, or adults for that matter.
Now the fun part. Noticed on the way home I was losing some power. And at idle , the motor was pretty lumpy. Anyways, got Monday off, and decided to go back out with just the wife for some sun... Damn river was even higher than the day before.. WTF... Boat doesn't want to run right either... Decided to call it a day and not bother launching.
( must have jinxed myself by buying the ramp pass that day)
Got home, and wife knew I couldn't sit still till I figured out what was up with boat, so got her blessings to ditch her for the afternoon. Long story short.... no compression in # 3 and #4 cylinders... About 190-195 in the rest. Well, in a nutshell, both heads are now off, and the intake valves on both cylinders are not closing off completely. The valves are concave in shape as well. As if to say, looks like someone tried to knock them through the head until the O.D. started to curl. Not a good day. Pistons and bores look fine..
Not sure whether I was getting water in from exhaust pipes, (one flapper is missing) or perhaps riser gaskets are leaking.
I am assuming I was getting hydraulic lock. Not a good way to start summer...
Old 07-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Rich, I saw you out on Sunday water was not good we got the only beach we could find right across from the oxbow it was are whole crowd so not bad. It`s not fun when you have fool around with engine work in the middle of the summer. I don`t feel so bad with just putting in an alternator this week.

Hope all goes well

Mark