Winnipesaukee noise restrictions? >

Winnipesaukee noise restrictions?

Notices

Winnipesaukee noise restrictions?

Old 02-11-2011, 05:47 PM
KN
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winnipesaukee noise restrictions?

How do they measure noise restrictions? What decibal level does a boat nead to be under. If I remember corectly bolt on mufflers are illegal is that correct? Do you think a boat with twin stock 454 Mag's (385hp) would be louder than the decibal aloud.

Thanks
Old 02-28-2011, 10:29 AM
Registered

The decibel level is 82 ,I believe.Bolt on mufflers can be used because they have never checked in the three times I have been tested.If you have a straight exhaust , you will most likely need mufflers.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Registered

I was checked a couple of times a few years ago (had stock HP500s with regular exhaust). The first time I failed (84db). 2nd time, I stuffed steel wool in the baffles. Had to do 3 passes with the average 82DB. First was 78, second 81 and third was 83 (as the steel wool disintegrated). They never caught on, and I passed.

The way the process goes, an MP can stop you and based on his / her judgment, can order a DB check. They make you make 3 full power passes at a very close distance (20 - 25') to the MP boat and put 1 MP on your boat. More of a PITA than anything else except that you can't use your boat until you pass.

Last edited by bajadude; 02-28-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:49 AM
Registered

What about the 150 foot rule, so they make us break a rule to enforce a rule. makes sense. Not
Old 03-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that's crazy. On Lake George, NY they put the decible checker 1 meter from your transom at idle. The limit is 90. My 96 Scarab with 330 HP 7.4 rang up a 95.1. The AT is in the 99 range with my 525 EFI. Got tickets both times.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gotta love lake champlain
Old 03-10-2011, 01:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DMAX
What about the 150 foot rule, so they make us break a rule to enforce a rule. makes sense. Not
I mentioned that very thing during the test and said that I felt uncomfortable going 70+ so close to their boat. Every pass they kept waving me closer

The did this off Timber Island which required almost a 90 degree turn at the end of the run to avoid a jetty. On one run, I got really PO'd and cranked the thing so hard, the MP almost flew out of the boat

Don't know if they changed the procedure, but it was ridiculous, unnecessary and dangerous.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:25 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep your drives tucked in and your motors will be turning slower and the boat will be wetter and lower your DB's by a few.