Mike T and I went flying today

Old 10-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm boating now because it is
1. safer
2. cheaper
3. more fun for those with you

I got my pilots license in oct 09 and flew all I could. Went strait through to instrument training all the way to check ride then had an "incident". In brief, I was up with an experienced instructor in my bonanza and he/I got us into a spin/spiral during some training. I/we thought it was over. We recovered after losing 3000ft altitude. I went back up the next day and I had lost all interest.

My experience. Flying is a blast........for the pilot. It sucks to be a passenger in a plane most people can afford. Training and staying current is sooooo crucial to coming home alive. Don't forget, you lose your engine you just can't pull over and call home. Weather will kill you. A dumb mechanic will kill you. A dumb instructor will kill you. Bad luck will kill you. I never thought of this until I almost died (38 yo orthopedic surgeon father of a 9 and 11 yo) with an instructor in my plane during training.

Let's take aircraft ownership. Plane cost are nominal. Just like powerboats. They can be purchased for pennies on the dollar now. A 10 year old million dollar Baron can bought for $150k or less. Take a King Air turboprop (a plane you would put your family in). Wonderful safe airplane. Could buy a nice one for under a million bucks......but the fixed operating costs are about $150k/year. Now, I have a friend who was going to buy one and we figured it cost about $2500/hr to operate after the acquisition cost. Not to mention the hours of flying and training to stay current and safe (100 hrs/year if I'm getting in the plane with you). Now I know there are some high rollers on this thread but maybe only 1 or 2% of you can roll like this.

Yes you could buy a cessna 172 and fly on the cheap. If I know the people on this forum, that would last about a day and we would all want a freakin fighter jet (like I did!!)
Old 10-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry Guys, not my airplanes, I just fly them for the corporation that owns them. My boss is going to the Ft Lauderdale boat show to look at a Nor-Tech 39 with twin turbo diesels that is going to be at the show. I suggested he head down and take a look around to better help him decide which boat would be a good fit for his needs. He already owns a 38 foot Shelter Island Runabout. Chris from OP is going to meet us there and show us around.
Just to give you an idea of the cost of just the fuel to get down and back I figure we will burn about 850 gallons each way, so about 1700 gallons at an average of $6.00 per gallon. A little over $10,000.00
Takes about 2.5 hours down and a little less time coming back.
I think it's about $4000.00 an hour if you decided to charter one.

Last edited by sea2jet; 10-25-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Orthobam
I'm boating now because it is
1. safer
2. cheaper
3. more fun for those with you

I got my pilots license in oct 09 and flew all I could. Went strait through to instrument training all the way to check ride then had an "incident". In brief, I was up with an experienced instructor in my bonanza and he/I got us into a spin/spiral during some training. I/we thought it was over. We recovered after losing 3000ft altitude. I went back up the next day and I had lost all interest.

My experience. Flying is a blast........for the pilot. It sucks to be a passenger in a plane most people can afford. Training and staying current is sooooo crucial to coming home alive. Don't forget, you lose your engine you just can't pull over and call home. Weather will kill you. A dumb mechanic will kill you. A dumb instructor will kill you. Bad luck will kill you. I never thought of this until I almost died (38 yo orthopedic surgeon father of a 9 and 11 yo) with an instructor in my plane during training.

Let's take aircraft ownership. Plane cost are nominal. Just like powerboats. They can be purchased for pennies on the dollar now. A 10 year old million dollar Baron can bought for $150k or less. Take a King Air turboprop (a plane you would put your family in). Wonderful safe airplane. Could buy a nice one for under a million bucks......but the fixed operating costs are about $150k/year. Now, I have a friend who was going to buy one and we figured it cost about $2500/hr to operate after the acquisition cost. Not to mention the hours of flying and training to stay current and safe (100 hrs/year if I'm getting in the plane with you). Now I know there are some high rollers on this thread but maybe only 1 or 2% of you can roll like this.

Yes you could buy a cessna 172 and fly on the cheap. If I know the people on this forum, that would last about a day and we would all want a freakin fighter jet (like I did!!)
Wow. I'm so sorry to hear of that. My dad crashed in 87 due to vaporlock in an Archer. I watched from the fbo. Very scary to say the least. He was back up a few days later with a FAA examiner and we were fine (plane was totalled) I have flown since before I can remember and have a few friends that fly for the big guys. Aviation is in my blood and I just can't afford it at this time.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:45 PM
Registered

Soloed on my 16th bday and that afternoon I got my drivers Licenes. I was flying before I was driveing. That's my claim to fameI would like to finish my CFI one day. I find myself often looking at the Cessna P-210s forsale on Controllers web site. One day....
Old 10-25-2011, 09:51 PM
Registered

I am thinking about moving to helicopters when the kids graduate. Now that makes fixed wing aircraft look cheap. I just love to be up there. Problem I found though is it takes total concentration and I worry about my loved ones on the ground too much.

It was a great run in aviation. The nice thing is that the wife loves the idea of me going fast on the water and not the air. She was so worried all the time when I would fly so doing 100mph on the water seems like a stroll in the park to her.

If all goes well, I will have my 42 OL by Dec this year and have to look at it in storage till May.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Orthobam
I am thinking about moving to helicopters when the kids graduate. Now that makes fixed wing aircraft look cheap. I just love to be up there. Problem I found though is it takes total concentration and I worry about my loved ones on the ground too much.

It was a great run in aviation. The nice thing is that the wife loves the idea of me going fast on the water and not the air. She was so worried all the time when I would fly so doing 100mph on the water seems like a stroll in the park to her.

If all goes well, I will have my 42 OL by Dec this year and have to look at it in storage till May.
What did you fly?
Old 10-26-2011, 05:10 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am sitting here looking at my shirt tail from the day of my first solo dated 7-27-83

you guys that have been throught this know the signifficance of the shirt tail

Wow was that a long time ago
Old 10-26-2011, 06:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by nova26
What did you fly?

1962 P35 Bonanza. It was my grandfathers plane that I located and restored.
New interior
New panel

Flew it for about a year, had the "incident" and got rid of it and have never looked back.

Some day I'll get back in. Either a helicopter or Super Cub. I'll never use it as a means for transportation. I'm just not confident enough in non commercial mechanics or myself to do it.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:37 AM
Registered

Mike, you're a great guy. In fact, so much so that I want to warn you to be careful. Having access to those planes and owning two Sutphens, should you decide to stop too quickly, Jeff could become lodged so far up your azz that it could take a team of surgeons to dislodge him. Also beware of excessive leg humping! Be careful pal!

Last edited by SS930; 10-26-2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:59 AM
Registered

Love flying, but have been out of it for a while. Quit when the kids were born and just dont have the means to get back into it these days. My dad still has an airplane, he keeps it at home, has a short runway in the back yard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.