Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Northeast US
Snow Falling Time For A Winter Project >

Snow Falling Time For A Winter Project

Notices

Snow Falling Time For A Winter Project

Old 12-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

Thus the need for overhead cam motors but for some reason marine engine builders are stuck in the dinosaur age. You guys haven't seen the mind blowing technology these guys are using lately????

- dual 4 barrels
- roots bulldozer superchargers
- distributors
- pushrods

Then for job security they cool it all with salt water to ensure that you will need everything replaced within 3 seasons.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
Thus the need for overhead cam motors but for some reason marine engine builders are stuck in the dinosaur age. You guys haven't seen the mind blowing technology these guys are using lately????

- dual 4 barrels
- distributors
- pushrods

Then for job security they cool it all with salt water to ensure that you will need everything replaced within 3 seasons.
So true!!! When someone offers affordable DOHC heads and turbo-ready marine manifolds in the aftermarket, EVERYTHING will change.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

- dual 4 barrels
- distributors
- pushrods

Nice touch with the "BULLDOZER" superchargers Adam....
Old 12-21-2011, 05:05 PM
Can You Hear Me Now??
Gold Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SS930
Why would I not like it? I'm not at all upset and I'm just giving my input since you seem to be asking for it. My sarcastic reply (which Adam knew I was joking around) was only because his post pointed out the obvious! Of course he it's far cheaper to run a stock 454 that 1500!!! I don't think many of us got into this sport for the economy of it!

I have all the receipts, build sheets, and dyno sheets from the previous owner. He paid someone more to build those engines and rebuild the drives than I paid for the boat. The life expectancy is hard to nail down with big power engines, but they have the potential to last a long time (or an hour like any other engine) if they are maintained and not abused. I choose to not beat the snot out of them because I don't have to run them hard to hang with most people in the area. Every so often I open them up to have a little fun, but there's little need to run WOT when you have that much on tap. When others are pushing their boats at 70-80 mph, my engines are pretty much loafing along. When I switch props I expect to pick up at least 10 mph in the midrange, which will drop the R's down further. If I had 600's I would probably treat them the same way, but I wouldn't be cruising at 70, I'd be cruising at 45 while letting you guys run on ahead.

Regarding the upkeep, I do all my own work so it's basically the cost of the parts and machine work. Tearing down engines is not something I have a lot of time to do, but I don't really mind doing it. The nice thing about BBC's is they are simple engines to work on... But obviously not everyone wants to, or even has the time or mechanical aptitude to do their own work.

Would I have paid all that money to build the engines that are in my boat? No F-ing way! If I were going to build something from scratch I'd probably end up with a real EFI version of something similar to what you're building if I had the drives to handle them. Maybe something a little more exotic. If I started with bravos I would stay under 700 hp or sell the boat and by something with the drives I wanted to run the power level I want to run (it's far cheaper to start off with the basic package you want than to convert everything IMO, but more on that below). But since I got the package I did I'll run them and enjoy them for what they are, but I know full well that they will always require a lot of up keep and will not be as cheap or as reliable to run as Adam's stock 454 analogy.

You have to remember that while big power engines are CAPABLE of making a lot of torque, as you mention it's probably only utilized a small fraction of the time. Only pushing them every so often, running the kind of number we're taking about here should not be an issue for #6 drives, especially in a boat the size of mine. Yes it costs more to rebuild them, but they are pretty much required with 1000+ hp engines and far more reliable than bravo based drives. They offset the cost of spitting a bravo every 20 hours real quick, not to mention have a significant performance advantage. With 800hp engines in a 42' boat, I think you're going to find it more costly to keep buying Bravos than it would be to upgrade them to something more stout, but it will take time for you to realize that cost difference. The alternative is to baby the **** out of it to make them last... which gets you back to your/Adam's point of 'why bother' if you HAVE to baby them.

EDIT: Another critical factor here is resale... selling a big power boat with bravo drives is a real tough sell. Likewise, people are willing to pay a premium for stout drives knowing they wont have to cough up $5k for a bravo every season at these power levels.

At the end of the day there's not much sanity in this type of boating... all but a few of the more privileged on here have to realize this. It all boils down to your priorities and budget regarding the basic three (fast, cheap, and reliable). There's no right answer here, you have to decide for yourself what your desires and goals are. I will say the base you buy into determines a lot of what your options are going forward, which is why I spent as long as I did to purchase my last boat. It basically summarized the overall package I wanted and offered me a decent platform within where I wanted to operate. I wasn't looking for the 'prettiest', biggest, fastest, nicest etc, but it was almost exactly what I was looking for in a overall package (power package, staggared, boat size, condition, and amenities) at a price point I was willing to buy at. I knew going into it that the engines in my boat were going to take some time and money to run. Obviously your priorities and mine (or anyone else's will differ) since I trailer my boats and maintain my own stuff. There are no right or wrong answers here, just individual preferences.

Again, I'm not offended or upset with anyone's posts on this topic, I'm just giving my two cents since you seem to be asking for it... nothing more.
I pretty much agree with most of what you said her except doesn't Sick Stinger do your work for you Oh yeah and supply the parts too Don't kill the messanger ont this one
Old 12-21-2011, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The person behind the scene suppling your info in general has the gist of things correct, but doesn't always have his facts straight... Haha!

I'll be the first to admit Mike has spent plenty of time helping me out working on the boat (and it's always been most appreciated!), but I'm having a hard time recalling him suppling the parts in that boat! With that said, he did give me a couple of spare fuel pumps which was super cool of him as well. Either way, I am suppling the parts and I'd be doing all the work if Mike wasn't nice enough to lend a helping hand as much as he has. But again, mike has certainly been generous when it comes to working on the boat, there's no doubt about that!
Old 12-21-2011, 05:50 PM
10M
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We can tell....your avitar expired and hasnt been renewed! If you ask nicely, she MAY let you! Hahah, congrats!
Holy F I didn't even notice that! Have been busy as hell, I dont even know my name anymore.

Craig where the phuck is all the snow??????????????????
I'll take the blame, I'm riding a 137" sled with a paddle track this year expecting a lot of off trail powder riding. Therefore we will get zero snow.

Also, ironically my DD is a civic and my boat has stock 454s, how did you guys know? I think its time to trade them in for a ferrari and a set of 1075s

Last edited by 10M; 12-21-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:44 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SS930
Why would I not like it? I'm not at all upset and I'm just giving my input since you seem to be asking for it. My sarcastic reply (which Adam knew I was joking around) was only because his post pointed out the obvious! Of course he it's far cheaper to run a stock 454 that 1500!!! I don't think many of us got into this sport for the economy of it!

I have all the receipts, build sheets, and dyno sheets from the previous owner. He paid someone more to build those engines and rebuild the drives than I paid for the boat. The life expectancy is hard to nail down with big power engines, but they have the potential to last a long time (or an hour like any other engine) if they are maintained and not abused. I choose to not beat the snot out of them because I don't have to run them hard to hang with most people in the area. Every so often I open them up to have a little fun, but there's little need to run WOT when you have that much on tap. When others are pushing their boats at 70-80 mph, my engines are pretty much loafing along. When I switch props I expect to pick up at least 10 mph in the midrange, which will drop the R's down further. If I had 600's I would probably treat them the same way, but I wouldn't be cruising at 70, I'd be cruising at 45 while letting you guys run on ahead.

Regarding the upkeep, I do all my own work so it's basically the cost of the parts and machine work. Tearing down engines is not something I have a lot of time to do, but I don't really mind doing it. The nice thing about BBC's is they are simple engines to work on... But obviously not everyone wants to, or even has the time or mechanical aptitude to do their own work.

Would I have paid all that money to build the engines that are in my boat? No F-ing way! If I were going to build something from scratch I'd probably end up with a real EFI version of something similar to what you're building if I had the drives to handle them. Maybe something a little more exotic. If I started with bravos I would stay under 700 hp or sell the boat and by something with the drives I wanted to run the power level I want to run (it's far cheaper to start off with the basic package you want than to convert everything IMO, but more on that below). But since I got the package I did I'll run them and enjoy them for what they are, but I know full well that they will always require a lot of up keep and will not be as cheap or as reliable to run as Adam's stock 454 analogy.

You have to remember that while big power engines are CAPABLE of making a lot of torque, as you mention it's probably only utilized a small fraction of the time. Only pushing them every so often, running the kind of number we're taking about here should not be an issue for #6 drives, especially in a boat the size of mine. Yes it costs more to rebuild them, but they are pretty much required with 1000+ hp engines and far more reliable than bravo based drives. They offset the cost of spitting a bravo every 20 hours real quick, not to mention have a significant performance advantage. With 800hp engines in a 42' boat, I think you're going to find it more costly to keep buying Bravos than it would be to upgrade them to something more stout, but it will take time for you to realize that cost difference. The alternative is to baby the **** out of it to make them last... which gets you back to your/Adam's point of 'why bother' if you HAVE to baby them.

EDIT: Another critical factor here is resale... selling a big power boat with bravo drives is a real tough sell. Likewise, people are willing to pay a premium for stout drives knowing they wont have to cough up $5k for a bravo every season at these power levels.

At the end of the day there's not much sanity in this type of boating... all but a few of the more privileged on here have to realize this. It all boils down to your priorities and budget regarding the basic three (fast, cheap, and reliable). There's no right answer here, you have to decide for yourself what your desires and goals are. I will say the base you buy into determines a lot of what your options are going forward, which is why I spent as long as I did to purchase my last boat. It basically summarized the overall package I wanted and offered me a decent platform within where I wanted to operate. I wasn't looking for the 'prettiest', biggest, fastest, nicest etc, but it was almost exactly what I was looking for in a overall package (power package, staggared, boat size, condition, and amenities) at a price point I was willing to buy at. I knew going into it that the engines in my boat were going to take some time and money to run. Obviously your priorities and mine (or anyone else's will differ) since I trailer my boats and maintain my own stuff. There are no right or wrong answers here, just individual preferences.

Again, I'm not offended or upset with anyone's posts on this topic, I'm just giving my two cents since you seem to be asking for it... nothing more.

WOW BIG Daddy someones been buzzzzy typing 2day

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAPPY HOLIDAYS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
Old 12-21-2011, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

Rhr post some pics of ur rig with ur best bow ornaments. We gotta see what you midwesterners are working with
Old 12-21-2011, 08:22 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rhr post some pics of ur rig with ur best bow ornaments. We gotta see what you midwesterners are working with
p.m. me your direct BIG Daddy i just sent D@gcabin a boat load

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAPPY HOLIDAYS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
Old 12-21-2011, 10:25 PM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Dog cabin is a load

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.