Martha's Vineyard trip

Notices

Martha's Vineyard trip

Old 03-29-2014, 08:21 AM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by benjen
Noise is absolutely an issue. I have been in the slip, tied off, and engines shut down and told to leave. I'm like how does that make any sense at this point? Will it be any louder now than tomorrow?
When I bought my Formula, the previous owner had removed the thru hulls and installed the Y-pipe because he "wanted to be able to go to Oak Bluffs". I swapped it back and went 3 or 4 times without mufflers - no problem.

I've been over with the Cafe 4 or 5 times without issue. Two summers ago in one of the Earl's Doomsday runs, it was very loud with about 10+ boats - no issue.

But, I'd have to say, your boat is in a different league than mine - both in HP and decibels. I was at the ramp when you fired them up for the 2011 Borden Light Run. Wow. I loved it.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by 242LS
I'm all set thanks Mike - It's going on the DYNO very soon! I'm planning on the sea trial out of Fairhaven on 4/26 or 4/27.
You have officially overused the word "dyno" (according to your wife)
We shall now refer to it as the torque measuring, horsepower calculating device
Old 03-29-2014, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm just sayin' you never know with those clowns over there. One time it's ok one time it's not. I think in the last few years since the economy has been trash and every slip in every marina on Cape Cod and the Islands is NOT full to capacity it has been easier. BTW the comment I made above was not with my 39' Sutphen, but my 30', which had 2 500 hp engines. Not nearly as loud as my present boat.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:02 AM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by benjen
I'm just sayin' you never know with those clowns over there. One time it's ok one time it's not. I think in the last few years since the economy has been trash and every slip in every marina on Cape Cod and the Islands is NOT full to capacity it has been easier. BTW the comment I made above was not with my 39' Sutphen, but my 30', which had 2 500 hp engines. Not nearly as loud as my present boat.
I agree - it all comes down to money. When they're hurting (along with everyone else), they're welcoming with open arms. When they're busy and don't need our money 'cause some is right behind us with cash and a quiet boat........
Old 03-29-2014, 10:09 AM
Registered

How is Nantucket as a backup destination ? It would be great to get a big group to go over but would hate for people to make plans tow a distance spend fuel $$$ going over to just get sent away

Last edited by Unlimited jd; 03-29-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:54 AM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Nantucket Boat Basin even has a big sign "No Excessively Loud Exhaust", but they did let me in. Probably the same economy thing.

The town dock is good transient dockage, BUT has a 30' limit. Town moorings are an option, but you need reservations pretty far in advance.

Very expensive place, but I love it there.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:47 PM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

"Kash is King" rules all. As I said I do have the mooring option as a back up plan if it is a consolation to the group.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lil red
How is Nantucket as a backup destination ? It would be great to get a big group to go over but would hate for people to make plans tow a distance spend fuel $$$ going over to just get sent away
Nantucket sucks, moorings are brutally expensive, $5 each way on the shuttle, and not much to do. Lifestyles of the super rich and stuck up! Nice thought though Jamie!
Old 03-29-2014, 05:16 PM
Registered

Thanks Shaun! Trying to stay positive and think lol
Old 03-29-2014, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Off season" Nantucket is welcoming to performance boats, but in the height of summer, I don't think they'll be to friendly. I love Oak Bluffs, personally. We've gone in as a group from the Earle's runs and had no issues. I guess it depends on who's in charge that day...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.