Notices

Delaware

Old 09-22-2020, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Delaware

Is there any lakes in Delaware for boating? Not familiar with the state at all. I hear it is retirement ($) friendly. Any info you guys may have will help. Thanks!!
Old 09-22-2020, 11:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

No big lakes that I know of. But, lots or rivers, and the Chesapeake Bay. Are you trying to avoid salt water? The upper bay is pretty fresh. No jelly fish and stuff like that.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:09 PM
Registered

Yes I would like to avoid salt. Was looking to have a house with a boat dock. Not sure what that will run me, but would like to stay under $350,000 I'm not opposed to being a block from water as long as there are marina's to keep the boat at. Don't know much about the are. What are good area's?
Old 09-23-2020, 06:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

After looking at the map, most of the waterfront property in DE is on the eastern side, definitely salt water. The rivers on the eastern bay such as the Chester, Sassafras, and Elk do not extend into DE. You can still easily live in DE and boat those waters. Finding navigable waterfront with a pier for 350K won't be easy. You might want to consider VA. Homes prices and taxes are decent. Although, you will find most of the waterfront there to be tidal / salt / brackish water.

I'm looking to retire in the next 5 yrs. too. I want waterfront, but also realize that chances are it will cost more than what my current home is worth. So much for downsizing!

Old 09-23-2020, 10:08 AM
Registered

I'm in the same boat as you, recently retired and don't know where to go. Want to get away from the New York area. Would like waterfront, but don't think it's in the cards for me ($). Will keep looking. Thinking about South Carolina? The search goes on...