Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boat Club Forums > Northern Illinois Offshore Club
How is the Quiet Storm coming? >

How is the Quiet Storm coming?

Notices

How is the Quiet Storm coming?

Old 05-20-2005, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Re: How is the Quiet Storm coming?

Originally Posted by Quiet Storm
Kaama

How did the dyno go?
Roger, the dyno went well with the first engine (starboard engine). It fired right up and everything went very well. The second engine will be dyno'd today. I chose to sacrifice some top end power, and wanted to err on the smaller size of a cam with very little overlap so they idle very nicely. So, on the dyno we got like 750rpm at idle in neutral, and as low as 500rpm in gear. Peak torque comes in at 4200rpm, and HP peaks in at 5600rpm. I told "rmbuilder" (Bob) that I wanted a cam that I could try, and get as smooth of an idle as possible and yet make peak power up to at least 5600rpm---which is a very rare request, and isn't an easy pick/solution, but I felt he was just the man for the job and he did an awesome job! They are extremely "torquey" and the throttle response is much more crisp than my previous engines. When we were checking the advance with the timing light,---you touch the throttle linkage and the engine would not waste any time getting to RPM very quickly.

With my cam driven water pump set-up Dave was able to get more water to the headers because during idle they were running a little on the hot side and he could only check this with marine style headers on his dyno which is a very good set-up for dynoing marine engines, otherwise it would not have been anything that could have been checked easily or properly with regular style car-type dyno headers. We found that during higher RPM the headers were getting adequate water flow for cooling, but during idle speeds the plunger spring was too tight, and was not cooling the headers enough. Dave was able to trim the plunger springs in my thermostat housings to adjust the water preasure so that they would open with more water flow to the headers. He also made it so that I could most likely eliminate my need for water preasure "pop-off" valves, and all the extra plumbing it took for these, but he told me I won't really know until the engines are in the boat, therefore he re-desinged it with less/ easier plumbing so that if I DID need it that it would be very easy to hook up. We also replaced my stock Merc wiring harness mounts with some custom made mounts Dave made for my ignition box, coil, and plug-in wiring harness that is all bolted to the back of the engine once the bell housing is on---which makes for a very nice, and clean set-up. I will snap some shots and post them on here later of this set-up. Dave (WESCO) is very thurough and checks EVERYTHING! I guess the neat thing I like about Dave's dyno was that he makes it so the engine(s) run identically on his dyno just as they do or will in the boat so that when they come off the dyno you bascially, and literally have "plug-in" ready engines.

Anyway, they are very smooooooth running engines with very little lope during idle which are nice during long idling periods. I wanted really good drivability, user friendly engines for manuvering around the docks, traffic, wind, and water currents, etc---it's just what the doctor ordered.

Hope you don't think I am hi-jacking your thread or trying to steal your glory Roger.

Last edited by KAAMA; 05-20-2005 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:16 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sooooooo what kind of #'s yea,yea , bla,bla,bla they idle at 500... so did my 330's come on Mark what did they make? or are you YELLA? to tell us.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope you don't think I am hi-jacking your thread or trying to steal your glory Roger. [/QUOTE]

Not at all Mark. I'm happy to hear that your engines are getting back together too.

I didn't go for all hp that could have been made by my motors either. I want them to run for a long trouble free time.

Hell, with a little luck maybe I'll be able to make it to all the card stops at a poker run this year.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:22 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Saw Rogers boat last night. The motors look great!!!! can't wait to hear them run. Should really wake up the Marina now.

Mark
Old 05-20-2005, 10:10 PM
(aka) Pure Adrenaline
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=MrCIG] Should really wake up the Marina now.

Good, that will take some of the heat off of me.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:27 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

[QUOTE=Doug]
Originally Posted by MrCIG
Should really wake up the Marina now.

Good, that will take some of the heat off of me.
\

No Doug you are the Marina Poster Child now for loud.

You give us Cigarettes a bad name

How's the motor coming?

Mark
Old 05-21-2005, 06:12 AM
Registered

Mr.Cig. I would be happy to take some of the heat of doug and take my mufflers off! Brian
Old 05-21-2005, 07:47 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm looking forward to the day when we all fire up at the same time.

The blow boaters are going to.......well you know.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:18 AM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Originally Posted by scarrab30
Mr.Cig. I would be happy to take some of the heat of doug and take my mufflers off! Brian

I heard yours a couple years a go with out the mufflers. It is a tad looooooooouuuuuuuuuuddddddddddddd!!!!!!!

Roger I see your working hard this morning

Hurry up and get some work done on the boat.

Mark
Old 05-21-2005, 09:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'll get out of here around noon then its back to work on the boat.

I need a vacation. All this work is killing me.

Quick Reply: How is the Quiet Storm coming?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.