Notices

Hey KoolAid Man

Old 05-30-2006, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hey KoolAid Man

Frank

So I went out today and here's what I found but let me first tell ya this 4 weeks ago before the boat was brought up here and ran at all I had a machanic change the oil and was suppose to check and top off ALL the fluids....well let me tell ya that didn't happen

Here's what I found today

Port side Tranny is absolutely BONE dry and I mean no fluids at all on the dip stick, I did however see a drop of fluid more toward to top which was brown in color.....but really I mean no sign of fluid...question I have is do you have to start the engine to bring up the fluid levels??? Also, just directly across from the tranny dip stick there looks to be a small pin that looks similar to (and don't laugh to hard at this description) but one of those thing you stick in a chicken when you're cooking in that pops up when its done(a pop up timer). Yup I just used a cooking comparison to a 454 big block...feeling like quite the idiot right about now. I can press it down but it feels like it is kinda spring loaded and as soon as I take my finger off it pops back up. And if I look at that on the other tranny it has not popped up at all and stays down.

Starboard side Tranny has just a little bit of fluid

So based on what you told me Frank......in addition to fact that is where the smoke was coming from I believe it is the Transmission. Who would you recommend to pull my engines and do the work...is there anyone close that's good?

Thanks again and if anyone would like to chime in (as long as it's not giving me crap about checking my own fluids....I've already learned my lession the hard way) that would be great. I've already got a couple of suggestion on guys to fix it but I'd like a few more to weigh out my options.

Brian
Old 05-30-2006, 10:01 PM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kool-Aid Man
BZ

The guy in Lockport...does this guy do it full time out of a shop or on the side? The reason I ask is because when I pull the boat out of the water I will put it in my cousin's Crane yard which is right off Route 83 just north of Archer which is obviously 5 mins from Lockport.

But like you said if Frank is a great resource and what I really need to does is figure out what is exactly wrong.

By the way I did have some Bud Lights in the Kooler for ya...guess it will have to be next time.
He is an independent but has one of the best shops on the south side. I can't remember the exact address but it's about 150th and archer....pm me if you need his help he works on a referral basis.....BZ
Old 05-31-2006, 12:00 AM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brian, 1st you need to know what kind of tranny you have. It might be a Borg Warner 71, or a 72-C. That little tag that I referred to in my last post, the one right in front of the dip stick, will have the serial # of the tranny, and the model # also. Once you know the model #, you can start looking for the correct trans.
Since the engine is gonna have to be pulled out to get the tranny off, I would recommend installing a new coupler in the bell housing. There not that much, I believe you can pick one up on the board here from Fred at "TRICK Marine, for a few hundred bucks.
Even if the coupler looks good, it's not worth the chance of having to go through all this again maybe next season if the coupler lets loose.
Sorry I missed your call today, got home late, and I did'nt want to call ya so late. Call me on the cell wednesday morning. 708-870-2572.....Frank
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 05-31-2006, 08:23 AM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Brain,
You can give Tom Houston a call at Houston Marine on the South Side of Chicago. Phone 773-972-0631 Tell him Mark and Pauly sent you.

The Little buttons you are taliking about are spring loaded vents. I would have them check the vent on the other trans as it should be bouncy. Make sure it's not stuck or clogged.

Another option is Mel Riggs in Eldorado Wi. He has a guys up there that rebuilts tranmissions and has been doing them for years for Merc. 920-872-2728

Good Luck. It does sound like the trans is gone.
Mark
Old 06-01-2006, 08:37 AM
Registered

Well you all aren't going to believe this....I took the advice and filled the tranny fluid levels and sure as sh*t when I shifted it into gear I had both forward and reverse. Now that just a test as I as was tied up to my moring but if you recall what I said before I was getting absolutely nothing...nada..zip..zero whenever I shifted into gear.

I realize I still could have a problem but I've got my fingers crossed and will be taking a full test run this afternoon. Also I was looking to figure out what kind of tranny I have and it just said Velvet on it when I was expecting to see 71 or 72C...can anyone explain.

BZ...saw your post and hopefully if all goes well I'll come out for a while on Sat.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:38 AM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good News Brian. Hopefully you didn't hurt anything by running it dry. You will need to figure out what happen to the fluid though. BUt sometimes when you changed the fluid the trans will show full until you run it them it has to be topped off again. Maybe nobody topped it off.

Good luck
Mark
Old 06-02-2006, 09:47 AM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good news Brian, maybe you can save it. Did you find any trans fluid in the bilge? I thought maybe you had a line leaking or a fitting that loosened up.
Ther'll be a number where the tag says "model" it should start with a 10- something like 002, 004, that's the number you need.
Got any questions, ya got my cell #, I'll have it with me all day.

Frank
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 06-05-2006, 12:15 AM
Registered

Kool-Aid Man
How did things go this weekend?
Dan
Old 06-05-2006, 08:56 AM
Registered

Went Great!!!

Straightjacket is a rockstar in my book...took the time Sat. to go over my engine, tranny, Impeller and all...............and hands down hooked me up to get the damn thing running.

Thanks again for everyone's input over the past week or so...you all have been great....it one of those things to glad to be associated with such a good group of people.

Look forward to seeing you all on the water
Old 06-05-2006, 01:25 PM
Registered

Thats great, hopefully the rest of the summer will be trouble free.

Quick Reply: Hey KoolAid Man

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.