Notices

21 Skater on Lake Michigan?

Old 03-02-2007, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 21 Skater on Lake Michigan?

Hello all,

I just moved to Chicago from TN and am looking forward to some great boating. I'm interested in knowing average water conditions on Lake Michigan around the downtown area during boating season. I have a 21 Skater that I've been running on rivers in TN for almost a decade now that I would hate to have to sell to handle the bigger waters. I'm living in Minooka and will be boating primarily on the Illinois river and hopefully taking trips to lake Michigan atleast twice a month. Will my little Skater handle it or do I need something bigger? I'm not too concerned about hitting real high speeds on the lake because I can probably satisfy my need for that on the Illinois river.

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

There are some summer days where you will see kayaks on the lake and small bowriders. However, there are other days where no one (OK, a few crazy people) will go out.

If Lake Michigan is your primary focus, you will need a bigger boat! There are other spots for your boat, that are not so rough (Chain of Lakes, Illinois River, Fox River, Lake Shelbyville, Lake Geneva, Lake Mendota) if you have a trailer.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:59 PM
Registered

Do you think I'll be alright if I only plan on hitting the lake 2-3 times per month and sticking to the river for the rest of the time? I wish I could have seen the conditions on the lake in boating season!
Old 03-02-2007, 04:49 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by unstableconcepts
Do you think I'll be alright if I only plan on hitting the lake 2-3 times per month and sticking to the river for the rest of the time? I wish I could have seen the conditions on the lake in boating season!
If you stay flexible on your boating scedule. There are times when you will have 3 days in a row of bassboat water. But, if the lake kicks up the day you want to go out, stay on the river. The bigger your boat is, the easier it is to plan something and stick to your plan. You will learn the wind directions that are favorable for where you boat. You will also have to keep a close eye on the weather if you venture very far from your home port. If you decide to visit some of the Indiana beaches and the wind shifts Northerly,even a 5mph wind out of the North will give you a very rough ride home.
I'm not rying to scare you. the are a lot of days that you can have fun with a boat under 23'. It just seemed like when my boat was that size, I was working all of those days.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:48 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Payton is right. Winds out of the N, NE will generate some big waves, while winds out of the W, SW are not too bad.

If I were you, I would launch at Diversy Harbor, which is very close to the inner breakwall. Once you are inside the breakwall, you have a little space to run if the waters are rough. You can also go through the lock and tour the city by water...very nice view!

There is a spring run called the loop cruise (www.chicagoloopcruise) that is at the end of April. This cruise generally attracks boats in the 20-30' range. I will be doing it for the first time this spring. Should be a nice way to learn the area and meet some new people. Registration is free. Right now, they have ~100 boats registered for the event. It can be cold this time of year, but hey, it's Chicago!

Welcome to the niegh
Old 03-03-2007, 06:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

oops... that's 'neighborhood'