Whats up with this 39

Notices

Whats up with this 39

Old 07-12-2006, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Whats up with this 39

Hey guys,
Found this sitting in our marina for sale. Any history? Its an 85'. Needs alot of work to bring back. Any one know whats the deal with the outside engine mounts bolted to the side of the boat and not the stringers! But, it's still around with no major stress cracks.
Asking price is 54,000 I beleive.
Jr.
Attached Thumbnails Whats up with this 39-l_boat.jpg   Whats up with this 39-l_dsc02724.jpg   Whats up with this 39-l_dsc02725.jpg  

Old 07-12-2006, 06:55 AM
Registered

Default Re: Whats up with this 39

more
Attached Thumbnails Whats up with this 39-l_dsc02728.jpg   Whats up with this 39-l_dsc02746.jpg   Whats up with this 39-l_dsc02747.jpg  

Old 07-12-2006, 06:56 AM
Registered

last one
Attached Thumbnails Whats up with this 39-l_dsc02748.jpg  
Old 07-12-2006, 10:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

About the time of this boat, Ross had a deal with a guy on Harsen's Island by the name of Bill Beardslee. Ross was going to build the boats under Bill's company umbrella (and $$). Bill lost interest and I bought everything he had. One complete demo boat and 3 or 4 in various stages of manufacture. Sold them to a guy from Miami by the name of Martino. Some of these boats were several years old but given '85 or '86 MSO's. All were in perfect shape- nothing wrong with any of them.

The thru-side mount was how they made them. Wide tunnel/narrow sponson made width in there a premium. I don't recall if there was an outboard stringer or not. They used a big stainless carriage screw. A couple had a reinforcing plate on the outside.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even the boats through the early 90's had the plates mounted on the outside and also on the inside of the sponsons. Not an issue. I run twin 1100's in mine and it is solid as a rock.

I had talked to the listing broker a while back. I cannot remember the #'s but it was higher than 54k. If you are really serious about the boat the best person to have look at it is Dave from Wesco Racing Engines. A lot of those old OE's that have not been properly maintained and stored will have major stringer and rot issues.

If you are looking for a great riding and handling boat you just found it. Get on top and let her rock.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by The Menace
Even the boats through the early 90's had the plates mounted on the outside and also on the inside of the sponsons. Not an issue. I run twin 1100's in mine and it is solid as a rock.

Refresh my memory- is there an outside stringer on your boat?

The Express is big and heavy and takes real power to go fast but they'll crush waves like a big V. I wouldn't want to have to re-stringer one though. Maybe if the hull was free...

One other thing to look out for. Ross made a few boats with a resin that was supposed to be state-of-the-art at the time. Manbe AME or something like it. Anyway, something wasn't quite right and several of the decks kind of "melted" Supposedly, the boats were to be re-decked. It would probably be pretty apparent if it had one of the problem decks but you may want to be observant of any unusual bracing or other patchwork under the deck.

Never buy a boat without a survey from a competent, HIGH PERFORMANCE surveyor. Cheap insurance.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hull is a 1996 and a Dr. from NY had the boat built. My hull does not have through hull bolts on the outside but in the tunnel. The 46 Skater is layed the same as mine with the bolts on the inside tunnel.

The ride is unbelievable.
Attached Thumbnails Whats up with this 39-imag1005-large-.jpg  
Old 07-13-2006, 10:05 AM
Registered

I wasnt Looking to buy, I guess i was more curious about the motor mount set up. The boat is not in the greatest shape, it would take alot of money to make nice again.
Jr.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi OE friends !

Still working on my 1989 - 39`boat,got a nice place to keep
my OE now,the Yanmars will dump in very soon,BUT, I`v
got a leek in port side fuel tank,and what`s the best way to deal with this problem?

502 Magnum .
Old 07-13-2006, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
I wasnt Looking to buy, I guess i was more curious about the motor mount set up. The boat is not in the greatest shape, it would take alot of money to make nice again.
Jr.
Is it here in Ohio?

Quick Reply: Whats up with this 39

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.