Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey twistman post a pic of that 46 OE
Old 12-14-2007, 11:39 AM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by twistman
I guess OCEAN EXPRESS is the only company that has ever had fuel tank issues !. By the way i heard that balsa is also wood.
My Scarab has Aluminum (or maybe stainless) Tanks, Not wood.. My Cat has fuel cells, not wood.. I can’t believe that a wood box fiber glassed shut would be considered an acceptable fuel tank.

It seems that the hull would flex over the years and put stress cracks in the fuel tank (or wood box), and start allowing gas to soak in; witch it did on this guys boat.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:41 PM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by MarkSmith
That is how Skater does it. Not that stupid of an idea.
They us bladders inside a wood capsule, not a "wood" fuel tank.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 2 Trick Rick
They us bladders inside a wood capsule, not a "wood" fuel tank.
My 33' Active cat had Steel tanks, our 33' Image [Motor City Magic] had Aluminum, but our 32' Skater [EASTERN EXPRESS] had the epoxy, Kevlar, & balsa core tanks. EASTERN EXPRESS had 35+ races, winning 1 World Championship & many Checkered Flags with out a fuel tank failure. How much time was on the Ocean Express, if it was New than I would be Mad. My point if it's on a boat it can Fail, give it time.
Attached Thumbnails 29 Ocean Express-ocean%2520express%2520ca%25202.jpg   29 Ocean Express-scanmagic.jpg   29 Ocean Express-scan00153eastern-express.jpg  

Old 12-21-2007, 11:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by h2oboater
our 32' Skater [EASTERN EXPRESS] had the epoxy, Kevlar, & balsa core tanks. it .

Thats the way I was told.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:26 AM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by h2oboater
My 33' Active cat had Steel tanks, our 33' Image [Motor City Magic] had Aluminum, but our 32' Skater [EASTERN EXPRESS] had the epoxy, Kevlar, & balsa core tanks. EASTERN EXPRESS had 35+ races, winning 1 World Championship & many Checkered Flags with out a fuel tank failure. How much time was on the Ocean Express, if it was New than I would be Mad. My point if it's on a boat it can Fail, give it time.
The Ocean is less than 6 years old, so yes the owner is unhappy to say the least.

Epoxy, Kevlar was used in the 1968 Bertram’s also; but not 2 pieces of plywood wrapped with regular fiberglass and used to hold fuel, that’s just unsafe IMHO and I cant believe its done like that.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:06 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

honestly i doubt fiberglass tanks are any more or less prone to problems than aluminum tanks. And as Mark and the Twistman (hows it going Rossi ) said Skater has done it since day one just about. Deans AMT had glass tanks in it and he just sealed them with some kinda NASA super high tech gooo and they worked fine and you know what that thing went through .

Rossi whens that 49 rudder boat gonna hit the water. That boat is bad a$$
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 12-22-2007, 03:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 2 Trick Rick
The Ocean is less than 6 years old, so yes the owner is unhappy to say the least.

Epoxy, Kevlar was used in the 1968 Bertram’s also; but not 2 pieces of plywood wrapped with regular fiberglass and used to hold fuel, that’s just unsafe IMHO and I cant believe its done like that.
Back in 1974 I bought the very first Offshore performance boat sold by Jim Clem,, [Mr Lancer , Awesome, ect, ect, then he was Clems Boatland] a 24' Cheetah hull that was built in California. This hull came with a glass fuel tank, we didn't even make the first race and it leaked. Even Jim said it would not work, and gave me a Aluminum tank to replace it. When I did, I found just one small spot that had bare wood, gas would leak out of the rear stringer by the motor mounts. Back then all this stuff was new so you just learned to improve it, and we did. Today you would hope that these problems would be worked out will fuel tanks, but after reading about other fuel tank leaks, and the new fuels, here on OSO I think not.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:16 AM
Gold Member

"glassdave" Not at dad's shop anymore, I'm am on my own. I am building a new 46' staight shaft rudder boat, my plug is just about done. We hope to be testing in the fall of 2008.

Merry christmas.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:44 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

nice! cant wait to see it, might hafta make a field trip up there this winter. Yo Tizbad . . . . . road trip?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Quick Reply: 29 Ocean Express

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.