Notices

OPA P class boats???

Old 01-17-2006, 09:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: OPA P class boats???

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
Prop slip is SO hard to get right. Like some of you have said with 3-6 blades its all over the lot. The other problem is X dimension of the drive height. With those 2 variables and all the combinations they have you would have to be a rocket scientists and you would still be guessing. Back to the original problem, its a good starting point until we can build a better mouse trap!
OPA will not determine slip% for you EXACT boat, just your hull "type".
Here is an example.
Say I have a 28' Pantera (heavy conventional vee), the horsepower and speed get me into the 70-80 MPH range. I want run P4. OPA dictates that ALL single engine deep vee hulls will use a 18% slip number in determining the max speed. I have some choices, I can run a 26" at 5900 with a slip% of 18, puts me at 79.4 mph.
Or I can run a 28" prop with a 5500 rev limiting chip to achieve the same speed. Just that the prop calc must not exceed the max speed of your bracket. You can run whatever style prop you want, it will be stamped with a pitch #, that is what will be used. raised x, lighter layup, more streamlined topsides all contribute to having a more efficient boat. Your ACTUAL prop slip numbers may be lower than what OPA says that hull style should be, but that is why we tweak our boats and try to get them to go faster. The teams that spend the time dialing in the boat and props should prevail over the guy who just trows the cooler and water ski's out and goes racing. And it will still be close!!

Last edited by JohnS; 01-17-2006 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But you dont have a 28 foot Pantera. You have a different creature
Old 01-17-2006, 09:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Bruce,
I don't, but the Manta is a close cousin to it. I'm only using the Pantera because I know the slip calcs for it, and it is a conventional deep vee. These hulls make up the majority of the P classes.
Are you bringin' the ol' girl out next season to run some P class?
Old 01-17-2006, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

I would take the 5900 RPM ALL DAY LONG. Woulnt you?
Old 01-17-2006, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Is there a P5 class rep?
Old 01-17-2006, 09:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JohnS
Bruce,
I don't, but the Manta is a close cousin to it. I'm only using the Pantera because I know the slip calcs for it, and it is a conventional deep vee. These hulls make up the majority of the P classes.
Are you bringin' the ol' girl out next season to run some P class?
How could a Manta be a close cousin to a Pantera? one is a cat the other is a fish

yes...looks like I will be runnin the Pantera again. just to keep it fair, we will be in P-2 this year
Old 01-17-2006, 09:28 AM
Registered

I nominate Randy for P5 representative.

Wil
Old 01-17-2006, 09:32 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Originally Posted by harry turner
Well Talke About Beating A Dead Dog I Looks To Me P5 P4 Are Where The Problem Lies I'm Building A New Boat I'm Building It For A Certain Class And It Will Pass Any Test You Want To Give It Again I Don't Think Avg Speed Is The Way To Go If You Look At Last Years Races P1 P2 P3 Nobody Brock Out I Only Hope We Can Get Things Fixed Now No At The Race Site

Harry
Harry,

It's great to see you coming back out. Another "Obsession" boat? Outerlimits or something else?

See ya soon,

Ron
Old 01-17-2006, 09:47 AM
Registered

hi ron
yes it will be obsession race team it will not be an outerlimits you will just have to wait and see i can tell you its pretty cool

harry
Old 01-17-2006, 09:53 AM
Gold Member

Who is planning in running P4 in OPA this year, my boat can do an honest 80 mph....with my na motor not the blower motor. I couldnt run with my blower motor that would put me in P1 at 100 +.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: OPA P class boats???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.