Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > Offshore Super Series (OSS)
Views from a Volunteer patrol boat OSS LOTO >

Views from a Volunteer patrol boat OSS LOTO

Notices

Views from a Volunteer patrol boat OSS LOTO

Old 10-02-2007, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 325 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Views from a Volunteer patrol boat OSS LOTO

Let me start out by saying, Where do we go next weekend?

We (My self and Barb) had volunteered a few months ago to be a Patrol boat, had never done anything like this before, so we had an open mind, and wanted to experience it for the first time. Let me add, though I enjoy watching the races on TV, we had only been to one other race before live, that was a few years ago in Milwaukee.

So the week approches, we get the emails telling us about meetings we need to attend, a small flier type of email with an overview and what we need to have on our boat. along with a tentative schedule.

We attend our Friday night meeting @ the TOAD, went through stuff fast and not very clear as to what was expected of us, basically just the safety things, sign this paper and here's your wrist bands. (suggestion here, not all of us knew what to do, infact, basically none of us had ever done this before, so a little clearer duties would be great). Told to be @ BTM the next morning, way earlier than expected, but hey it has to get going sometime!

The BIG DAY: ARRIVED EARLY @7:45 @ BTM, Went through handing out radios, setting Marine radios to proper channels, (Thanks, Coast Guard Auxilliary) getting couse breakdowns as to who covers what, getting our flag, greet and meet, then head out. (Now 9am) Again, we are all new at this, MATT @ BTM, was green also, but did a GREAT job ralling the troups.

We headed to our spot, infront of the Toad/Shady Gators Complex to the north. (We had markers, 5,6,7). Was pretty quite @ first for about the first hour, THEN BAM!!!!, everyone showed up at once. The wind had also picked up, so it was basically chaos untill everyone got settled down and started tying up.

It quickly became more than we could handle due to the area we were covering, so on the radio for help, and on came the calvelry, a/k/a Water Patroll and Coast Guard to help. MUCH appreciated help, for the most part people tying up were VERY cooperative and tried there best to accomidate what needed to be done, The wind created a bit of a challenge so many times groups had to be moved back behind the lines more than once.

We had a "couple" of boats that just wouldn't "get it". So a quick blast of the horn, and the Water Patrol took control, amazingly, they all of a sudden understood the plan!!!!!!!

Once the racing started, most people were in place and the rest of the day was just keeping the "Mobiles" behind the line and enjoying the races. We did stay busy though, so seeing the races, though up close and personal, was quick and to the point. We took our duties seriously (wanted to make sure safetly was the main goal) And feel again, it went well.

As the racing ended the area cleared REALLY FAST, and it was over at the course, back to BTM for the turning in of the radios, FLAGS etc, congradulating everyone on a great job and off we went. (This was about 6pm.)

Back to our Condo for a "Clean up", then took the truck back to ther TOAD for the nightly entertainment. Had a Great night out, food, entertainment etc was fantastic.

We had only "signed up" for the Saterday patrol, so Sunday we headed down by truck to the races. We parked near the dry pits, toured that area and headed to the TOAD to view the races.(by shuttle bus) We walked around, saw the teams, but ended up watching most of the time buy the "Crane", watching the teams taking the boats in and out, getting them ready to race was amazing. You really dont get to see the comroderie, professionalism, and spirit untill you see it up close.

We had only anticipated staying maybe an hour or two, but this turned into 8 hours, went buy like it was 2 minutes...

What a great weekend!!!!!! I have a total respect for what is done behind the scenes now, and can say, what a terrific bunch of people, OSS Staff, Racers, Volunteers, Law Enforcement, Safety personell, etc.... THEY DID A GREAT JOB!!!

Bottom line, if you get the opportunity to volunteer, do it!!!, It was a great experience, learned alot, Was it a lot of work?, YES, Does it cost money?, YES (fuel, etc) but the reward was far better than we ever imagined.

Sign us up for next year!!!!!
Old 10-02-2007, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

thank you for all your help in keeping things in order.
mike stancombe
peppers racing
Old 10-02-2007, 08:32 AM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your behind the scene view. Neat stuff. It was a great race site and wow were there a ton in the spectator fleet! Good job!
Old 10-02-2007, 09:21 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your help Brian, it's people like you that allow us to do what we do.

See ya next year.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:34 AM
Registered

Brian , The bottom line is this, the race doesn't happened without your guys help. Thank you and the rest of the volunteers
Old 10-02-2007, 12:34 PM
Registered

Brian,

Thanks for all of your support and dedication to the event. As one who serves as a race producer it is always nice to get feedback that can be used to help make the maddness that goes on behind the scenes a little smoother. I am the one that holds and develops new safety and volunteer briefings here in Orange Beach and along with Mike Mares and the other members of the saftey and race course teams your comments help us find the areas of improvement that need attention. As one who serves as rescue diver for OSS what you and all of your fellow volunteers come out and do never goes unnoticed. If it were not for all volunteers in every area of the event our show would just be another blip on the map.

Thanks for all that you do,

sam
Old 10-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Registered

Brian,

I can't say thank you enough, you did a great job in a high traffic area. Even though we were short on boats you made us look good. You are first on my list for next year.

Matt
Old 10-03-2007, 03:49 PM
KiloKat
VIP Member

Brian,
Thanks to the volunteered help of yourself and others like you, the LOTO race was one of the most successful offshore events of the year. My sincerest appreciation to you and all of the other people who worked so hard to make this happen.
Dave Scott
Old 10-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KiloKat
Brian,
Thanks to the volunteered help of yourself and others like you, the LOTO race was one of the most successful offshore events of the year. My sincerest appreciation to you and all of the other people who worked so hard to make this happen.
Dave Scott
Alvin said you were the one who said call Anthony he'll do anything.

It was a good time on the front lines for us I hope your bad luck is over. It always happens at the worst times "Home".

Anthony Smith
Old 10-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Registered

Can I just say I'm pumped up now.. Thanks for the run down of your weekend and thank you for Volunteering!!!

I must say that LOTO was a class act and all of the people there were GREAT! Can't wait to be there next year.

Quick Reply: Views from a Volunteer patrol boat OSS LOTO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.