Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > Offshore Super Series (OSS)
2008 OSS  Offshore Worlds Cancelled. >

2008 OSS Offshore Worlds Cancelled.

Notices

2008 OSS Offshore Worlds Cancelled.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MANITIE
Pete...that was the deal breaker from the start....the fee's,
from talking to Ron P. its seems thats what is stopping some of the OSS racers.....but Bruce responded the best in a post he put up a week or so ago about why JC charges his fee's.....

All racers are invited....we all paid to race....again..it would be great if we did not...and even better to get paid to show up....but thats not happening anywhere.....

Last year Evil Ed put up the Cleveland Construction money and a few of us added to that to get the racers in OPA to Key West....I think we ended up bring down 7 or 9 teams....this was also a last minute thing.....if you really want to barry the hatchet.....the first thing that our sport needs is for some to stop throwing it at SBI/APBA....and work on raising the money to get the 8 or so teams there...

Ron P is well aware of how hard and how much time gose into putting on a race....not to mention 3 days of racing with 80 boats.....we all have been around...its not easy....

Let give a little credit were credit is do....Key West is a big event....and a week long event....why not work on ways to get the other racers there and pay the fee's.....if not so be it....we are never going to make everyone happy...we all know this....

Maybe a little off the subject, but what is the thery for hull, crew fees? Why not just a entry fee? I never have under stood why? I have never raced anything other than a boat that have these fees? Why is a p-class so much less than a big boat?
Old 09-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aqua.....the entre fee's on spec racing is higher....and the prise money paid out is higher....and spec racing they pay 1st - 5th place and I beveive the there is bonus money for everyone boat they enters over 8.......in P-Class the prise purse in less and only pays out 1st - 3rd.....its in there rule book....but I have not followed the Spec payout for awhile....I'm sure some of the guys on here could fingure out how much prise money would be paid out if 10 SVL showed up....and if you guys are serious....I will figure it out myself..

Last edited by MANITIE; 09-16-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pete B
The offer was approved by the Conch Republic, JC was the one that said "NO".

The deal breaker was the 2009 registration fees!

?
Old 09-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,735 Likes on 3,794 Posts

I'm only responding to you post about OSS approaching the Conch and they said no.
But, The Conch republic said YES.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MANITIE
Aqua.....the entre fee's on spec racing is higher....and the prise money paid out is higher....and spec racing they pay 1st - 5th place and I beveive the there is bonus money for everyone boat they enters over 8.......in P-Class the prise purse in less and only pays out 1st - 3rd.....its in there rule book....but I have not followed the Spec payout for awhile....I'm sure some of the guys on here could fingure out how much prise money would be paid out if 10 SVL showed up....and if you guys are serious....I will figure it out myself..

Yes, but why is there a hull, crew fee? In all orgs?
Old 09-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Registered

Pete....I'm responding to AB saying "OSS met with the Conch Republic Powerboat Racing organization in Key West and attempted to put a deal together, that would allow OSS boats to compete this year in Key West for a Unified Worlds Championship but the offer was rejected".

But says nothing about that all race teams are invited to the SBI/APBA/UIM World Championships...

Last edited by MANITIE; 09-16-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Registered

Aqua.....we all pay crew fee's and equipment fee's....nothing has changed in the last oh..20+ years...
again....instead of trying to fight something that 80% of the racers are agreeing to ....maybe try to raise the money to get you guys there....again...all the orgs are following the rules and paying....

And this is only a sugestion....if OSS wants to set a new rule with no equipment fee's or membership fee's I think your Org would be a great place to start next year...I think OPA started a great example of only $650 equipment fee's and 150 crew member fee's....and no entre fee's to any team with prize money....

All the Orgs can do is set by example....

So are you in to try to rasie the money to get to Key West that you will show.....
Old 09-16-2008, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aqua Banshee
Yes, but why is there a hull, crew fee? In all orgs?
JC collects equipment and crew fees for the entire upcoming year. He doesn't care about any other orgs or where you plan to race. It is good to be JC he collects from everyone. He doesn't have to compromise and he doesn't everyone must pay full dues.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Racer
Racer

If KW is the only "Worlds" this year, why would SBI want to negotiate? I'm sure the Conch would say yes to anything that brings more $ to the bars, but they don't own SBI. So why go around the owner? Has he cut deals on fees for other Orgs in the past?
Old 09-16-2008, 01:51 PM
Registered

Gino,
Time will tell if the no or low fee program is sustainable. Would it work without outside contributions? Those OSS fees pay for things like safety staff and people to set up the race course plus many other important race functions. No or low fees means less staff and more dependence on volunteers.

Last edited by MOBILEMERCMAN; 09-16-2008 at 02:05 PM.

Quick Reply: 2008 OSS Offshore Worlds Cancelled.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.