Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > Offshore Super Series (OSS)
Pig Iron Racing thanks OSS!! >

Pig Iron Racing thanks OSS!!

Notices

Pig Iron Racing thanks OSS!!

Old 04-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mbowers,
there was no damage to the hull whatsoever.This is one tough sono***un,congrats to Extreme for building such an awesome boat.The hatch did get torn off during the flip which in turn caused the boats stern to sink.Brad had sealed the entire bow of the boat which kept it from going under completely.I believe the air scoop caused the hatch to get torn off and allowed the engine compartment to fill with water instantly,had this not happened i think the boat would have righted it self.Other v-lite teams may want to rethink the intakes on there boats.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Registered

Bruce
Considering we were running 88mph when we flipped I'd say over revving played a big part of the damage.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:15 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

The engine Hydro locked. All components are toast & maybe even the block. Haven't T&I the drive yet,
but from the outside the housing looks good;
the prop isn't even dinged.
Brad has (is) removing everything from the boat
(mud was found in every possible crevese);
the hatch is at the fiberglass shop; the seats are at the upolstery shop; electrical & wiring is being started today,
so things are moving in the right direction.
We maybe running with the bare minimum for awhile,
theres not enough hours in the day to do everything that needs to be done. BUT- I've called for help!
We're hiring our summer crew alittle early this year so we can give her a
test run in Havasu. By the time Cumberland rolls around
we should be back & running fast.
Doug you in??
Old 04-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Registered

OH!! I forgot a really important Thanks!!!

Thank you to WD40. We used 3/4 of a case the night the boat was pulled & it helped so much. With out WD40 giving us the product at the race site, it would take twice (if not more) as much time to T&I everything as well as saved allot headache for us.

Thanks again to OSS for aquiring a great sponsor that was good enough to supply us with product that is in high demand for racing. Someone has their thinking cap on & crystal ball working!
Old 04-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by heater63
mbowers,
there was no damage to the hull whatsoever.This is one tough sono***un,congrats to Extreme for building such an awesome boat.The hatch did get torn off during the flip which in turn caused the boats stern to sink.Brad had sealed the entire bow of the boat which kept it from going under completely.I believe the air scoop caused the hatch to get torn off and allowed the engine compartment to fill with water instantly,had this not happened i think the boat would have righted it self.Other v-lite teams may want to rethink the intakes on there boats.
Thank you for the info.
Mike
Old 04-05-2009, 03:49 PM
freezeframevideo.net
Commercial Member

Received 819 Likes on 605 Posts

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
Old 04-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Great pictures as always Jeff.

Sorry I wasn't there to help with the boat when they pulled it Brad/Nancy, I went to the awards ceremony to look silly accepting Billy's trophy for him. I wanted to say something but got treated like a ha, no big deal. Ended up leaving my Mercury Racing jacket and blue tooth at the bar. :-( I'm just glad to be working with WHM and Ray, I never realized how much I liked going to the races until I got laid off. Anyway, if I can run down to the shop and pack that motor for you I'm just up the street.

Also how's the drive? I didn't notice any obvious gimbal damage but did not venture close to the Stoli-o-matic alarm system to look.

PS. There's a recently available drive mechanic here with a quarter century experience (Oh gosh, am I that old?) looking for work. ;-)

PM if you need my number or call Scott