Notices

OSS joins APBA

Old 12-29-2010, 08:19 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,736 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Originally Posted by skaterdave
pete, although i sound negative, the statement is accurate.

All I can say is the sport has endless bounds of negativity. as well as egos, sore losers, poor winners, etc. Is what it is.

with gas prices going up, and the economy still in the dumps we can sit here and watch what happens , give our expert opinions. and not spend a dime!
Old 12-30-2010, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Dave what you are missing is the original starting officers of OSS are long gone. The remaining racers like the way OSS handles the racing format. Its not for everyone just as P class racing is not for everyone. For those of you that dont like getting paid at the race site, having great safety and a professional staff working for you please dont come. OSS will not be doing joint races with SBI this year. Biloxi will be OSS's first race of the season on the weekend of May 14th. I know of at least 4 SVL teams that are going. Typhoon,Time Bandit,Pirates and Octane. I have not contacted any one else yet. I called these teams just yesterday to confirm.

Waterboy, The reason I see OSS struggling for sites now is that another org has offered races at a reduced price to get sites for themselves. Thats business and Im not complaining. This has hurt OSS in this economy but will not stop them. OPA has set the bar on how to do a race for the smallest amount of money. Is that good or bad for the racers? You know the saying : You get what you pay for!
MD
Old 12-30-2010, 06:32 PM
Registered

Mark, "Waterboy1" Who and why would you see fit to be the one and only organization fit to run Offshore racing. I am eagerly awaiting this answer. Dont get quiet on me now! Spill the beans on why OPA or SBI should run the show. And you can only pick one organization to run it. Man up now that you have an opinion. I dont want to here about barbecues or about friendships. Thats for local club racing. Let me know about racing at a level where national sponsorship is available. Not my friends local shop. Let me know about how the Org. you pick can get us to that next level. Business plan?,Sponsorship?Real TV? No conflict of interest, financial backing and towns better off for having us.
MD
Old 12-30-2010, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
Mark, "Waterboy1" Who and why would you see fit to be the one and only organization fit to run Offshore racing. I am eagerly awaiting this answer. Dont get quiet on me now! Spill the beans on why OPA or SBI should run the show. And you can only pick one organization to run it. Man up now that you have an opinion. I dont want to here about barbecues or about friendships. Thats for local club racing. Let me know about racing at a level where national sponsorship is available. Not my friends local shop. Let me know about how the Org. you pick can get us to that next level. Business plan?,Sponsorship?Real TV? No conflict of interest, financial backing and towns better off for having us.
MD
Randy,
I should have known better to give my opinion on this.I think you would agree that offshore powerboat racing was at its best under the APBA Offshore LLC.Competition model,technical rules,competitive racing,marketing,televsion,sponsorship,manufacture r support and fan interest were all there.The bottom line is that the introduction of OSS destroyed that.The facts speak for themselves;OSS never could accomplish what it set out to do. They actually caused the sport to go backwards.I am sure the new staff of OSS has good intentions.I just wish that OSS,SBI,OPA and POWERBOAT P1 could mege into one organization.You have to admit that OPA has accomplished alot over the last few years even though it is considered to be a regional sanctioning body focusing on the bracket classes.Multiple competing sanctioning bodies have had disastrous effects in other forms of motorsports;most notabley in indy car racing.The battle between IRL(Indy Racing League) and CART(Championship Auto Racing Teams) all but destroyed indy car racing...and the greatest race of all time:The Indianapolis 500.They finally settled thier differences,and indy car racing is slowly on the rise again with a new series sponsor in IZOD ,and televsion coverage on VERSUS.I guess we can agree to disagree on this one.You know I have the utmost respect for as a racer and a consider you a great friend.Eddie and I always talk about some of the great battles we have had with Typhoon over the last few years.I sure hope we can continue our friendly rivalry in the future
Old 12-31-2010, 07:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a Director in region 1 of the APBA it is very refreshing to be able to have and talk about Offshore again and for teams to be able to set new records and achieve Hall Of Champions! Jo
Old 12-31-2010, 08:39 AM
Registered

Mark, I agree with the statement of having one org running offshore. I also agree that it was at its hight in 2002 with APBA. Well here we are in 2011 and still the org's cant merg. We go threw this every year where us racers talk about it and nothing EVER changes. Maybe just maybe OSS joining APBA is a step in the middle ground. P1 is in,OSS is in,I believe POPRA is considering, what would happen if OPA joined? Isnt that getting us all to our common goal of one org. Everyone gives a little of there power up to a common APBA banner. Yes we can get back to one org. Its called APBA.
And no I am not mad at you. Just challenging your statement.
MD
Old 12-31-2010, 11:25 AM
Racer
Racer

I wish the O.S.S. the best but I really don't see anything changing but the stickers.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
MD
I say OPA should run the entire show. This is my opinion.

1) What you call local club racing has more boats in attendance than OSS.
2) OPA talks and delivers. ie. Rulebook for SVL
3) A particular team was in the midst of procuring sponsorship to campaign a boat in OSS for 2010. They wanted some insight on the organization and the racing so read those wonderful threads posted by the OSS racers on SOS. Great job and show of professionalism there.
4) Organized and you know what you're getting. Anyone, even if they never saw a boat before can make a single phone call and be brought up to speed on the requirements.
5) They have rules that are actually in print.
6) I'm not certain, but highly doubt, that OPA classes vote on changes, agree and fail to document them.
7) Great race sites.
8) They have tech and enforce it
9) Barbeques. I love a barbeque and everyone has gotta eat.
19) TV

Like I said, this is only my opinion but could possibly be swayed. My second choice would be SBI.

Exactly what is it that OSS is offering to make me change my mind. This is your opportunity to sell to every racer out there why they should leave their current org and join OSS.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:46 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Lauderdale Boats, you sure do have a lot of information for someone that has never been to an OSS or OPA race.

You are free to race where ever you like. What will you be racing in 2011?

For me, I will be at any race that OSS has in 2011, the rest of our schedule will be filled by sites that we like to attend.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by Lauderdaleboats
I say OPA should run the entire show. This is my opinion.

1) What you call local club racing has more boats in attendance than OSS.
2) OPA talks and delivers. ie. Rulebook for SVL
3) A particular team was in the midst of procuring sponsorship to campaign a boat in OSS for 2010. They wanted some insight on the organization and the racing so read those wonderful threads posted by the OSS racers on SOS. Great job and show of professionalism there.
4) Organized and you know what you're getting. Anyone, even if they never saw a boat before can make a single phone call and be brought up to speed on the requirements.
5) They have rules that are actually in print.
6) I'm not certain, but highly doubt, that OPA classes vote on changes, agree and fail to document them.
7) Great race sites.
8) They have tech and enforce it
9) Barbeques. I love a barbeque and everyone has gotta eat.
19) TV

Like I said, this is only my opinion but could possibly be swayed. My second choice would be SBI.

Exactly what is it that OSS is offering to make me change my mind. This is your opportunity to sell to every racer out there why they should leave their current org and join OSS.

Lets look at it this way, NASCAR was not originally elected to "lead" or run oval car racing in the USA. Back then almost each and every city town down south had its own track and organization to run things the way they felt they needed to be run.

NACAR just did it better and the "racers" and teams made the choice by racing with them and the smaller organization fell to the side.

Bottom line, do it better and win the racers.

Pretty simple formula

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.