Notices

Why???

Old 01-01-2007, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Why???

first let me say we spent many years in the local than p-classes , before we stepped up to a spec class . I know that one has to tread lightly on this subject as not to buise egos . everyone gets hung up on comparing hardware hey I used to do that also , there is no doubt that there is some impressive stuff racing p-class , but it is an entry level class moving to a spec class takes it to another level of competition ( P- class was designed to be a place that people that had an interest in racing could run whatever boat they had to have fun and try it out before making the comitment of a full fledge race boat) by that I mean closed canopy that you can't really go out pleasure boating in with friends , I also realize that there are alot of closed canopy boats racing P ( which while legal and I can understand that some fof these teams just want to run relatively close to home and not comite to a full nation season ) but that in it self is a deterant to people entering p class ( people see full out super cats or super V boats and don't want to take there open cockpit pleasure boat out against them) to take a step back we showed up in 2003 in marathon with a phantom and the other the other ( P-3 teams ) flipped out but in fairness we were a minority then ( many more canopy boats now) I don't have the answers but we need more entry into offshore and that starts with the run what ya brung classes( P- class) as intended,
the P- classes will always have bickering as to classing boats but the goal should be when one gets more serious instead of bickering about inherent inequities in P class they should "move up" into a spec class.
In reality many new P teams every year and a handfull of them would move into spec classes . So the real question is 2 part
1 how to attract more entry level teams ( to at least try it like the old local class) OPA with no entry fees is on the right tract
2 make it more feasible or attractive to have a small percentage of them move into spec classes
sorry for the rambleing Larry
( note we spent much more on engines running p-class than now however because you can't simply put more power in you have to comit much more time to set up and tuning the boat )
Old 01-01-2007, 10:52 PM
Racer
Racer

Everyone here has a good point, my question is why fix something that isn't broken? Our boat is supervee legal to a point. We would have to pull the 525's get them tagged or sealed , which is an expense. And then go through the inspections, and travel to places that would really be tough on our respective businesses. OPA has made racing affordable for a lot of teams and welcomed us with open arms, when we ran our open 32' activator OSS didn't want us and SBI was too far for us. OPA races are within a fairly close distance to us and have all been great places to race. With
the spec classes all I hear about is how everything is fair and level. If you believe that i've got a bridge for sale. But thats another thread in its own right. If we have issues and or questions, Smitty took the time to explain them and was always more then fair. OPA is growing and we like the whole program. As far as canopied boats like ours scaring off the open boats? It ain't happening. A 28' open skater(Catcando) took us to school, maybe we scared them so bad we couldn't catch them lol. If you guys like the spec racing, more power to you, I support you 100%, It's just not for everyone.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Louie brings up a great point about areas also. With most racers being self funded or lightly sponsored and virtually everyone having a "real" job, it is very difficult to travel the long distances involved in national racing. If the bodies are to come together under one banner then a regional structure MUST be put in place. This is in part the reason for SBI/APBA's success-most of their races are within a day's drive and many are within a few hours at best. OPA has done a great job of maintaining boat count and spreading things out some but you can still drive the distance between the furthest races (aside from the Worlds) in a day, trailering.

And I have to disagree with you Bruce, offshore is looking pretty good in some places, just the national picture is a little foggy right now. But unless and until more money comes into the sport so there can be more than a select few fully funded teams with full time employees, a national series is gonna have issues.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Registered

All of you guy's have brought good points. I am a good example for this. I have been wanting to get into racing for a couple of years now and didn't know where to start. I own my own buissness and for me its easier to come up money than time for a hobby. After looking at all the different orginizations I feel that OPA class racing would best fit my profile. They 're schedual has a good amount of races within a short driving distance of Jersey and the people involved seem to be easy going and nonpolitical. I think that puts less pressure on a newcomer to the sport. Now the hard part is finding somebody with the time and energy to do the work end as I don't have the time to drive to and from race sites or do the maintenance required to be competative. This year I plan on attending as many of the local races as I can it doesn't look like I'll have a boat ready for '07 but I still want to get out and meet the people involved.

Nick S.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:12 PM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by sakoutis3
All of you guy's have brought good points. I am a good example for this. I have been wanting to get into racing for a couple of years now and didn't know where to start. I own my own buissness and for me its easier to come up money than time for a hobby. After looking at all the different orginizations I feel that OPA class racing would best fit my profile. They 're schedual has a good amount of races within a short driving distance of Jersey and the people involved seem to be easy going and nonpolitical. I think that puts less pressure on a newcomer to the sport. Now the hard part is finding somebody with the time and energy to do the work end as I don't have the time to drive to and from race sites or do the maintenance required to be competative. This year I plan on attending as many of the local races as I can it doesn't look like I'll have a boat ready for '07 but I still want to get out and meet the people involved.

Nick S.
Looks like youve found a good spot for some Fountain hunting.
Gonna get that lttle P P chopped off lol. Welcome aboard, now lets get racing.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Registered

Maybe I am missing something (would not be the first time) but isnt is also true that for the most part moving from P-Class toa Spec Class with the expectation of being competative would require the Racer to sell their existing equipment.. a used "Non-Race" Race Boat, which can take a very long time.

A meaningful barrier to entry?.

Gregg Reichman
Old 01-02-2007, 04:01 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Larry D
first let me say we spent many years in the local than p-classes , before we stepped up to a spec class . I know that one has to tread lightly on this subject as not to buise egos . everyone gets hung up on comparing hardware hey I used to do that also , there is no doubt that there is some impressive stuff racing p-class , but it is an entry level class moving to a spec class takes it to another level of competition ( P- class was designed to be a place that people that had an interest in racing could run whatever boat they had to have fun and try it out before making the comitment of a full fledge race boat) by that I mean closed canopy that you can't really go out pleasure boating in with friends , I also realize that there are alot of closed canopy boats racing P ( which while legal and I can understand that some fof these teams just want to run relatively close to home and not comite to a full nation season ) but that in it self is a deterant to people entering p class ( people see full out super cats or super V boats and don't want to take there open cockpit pleasure boat out against them) to take a step back we showed up in 2003 in marathon with a phantom and the other the other ( P-3 teams ) flipped out but in fairness we were a minority then ( many more canopy boats now) I don't have the answers but we need more entry into offshore and that starts with the run what ya brung classes( P- class) as intended,
the P- classes will always have bickering as to classing boats but the goal should be when one gets more serious instead of bickering about inherent inequities in P class they should "move up" into a spec class.
In reality many new P teams every year and a handfull of them would move into spec classes . So the real question is 2 part
1 how to attract more entry level teams ( to at least try it like the old local class) OPA with no entry fees is on the right tract
2 make it more feasible or attractive to have a small percentage of them move into spec classes
sorry for the rambleing Larry
( note we spent much more on engines running p-class than now however because you can't simply put more power in you have to comit much more time to set up and tuning the boat )
AH...And who was the winner in that Canopy vrs open boat? Hmmmmmmmm. I Know.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

These are just questions on how to help people. There is no right or wrong answer. Its all good feed back and wish more people would post that have boats. It sounds like the traveling time is a big problem for most. I will tell the board at OSS that they may want to try and keep more races in the N.East or at least in the Atlantic Ocean. If more people respond that this is what it would take maybe its something they should look at. Lou if you feel that OPA is good for you then by all means keep at it. I am just wondering if there are people that want to get in a canopy but just cant and why.
MD
Old 01-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Registered

Who dosen't want to be in a canopy? Money just for the boat and maintenance is one issue. Then the time off from mostly small self owned companies juggle the family with personally for myself no sponsership money it is not a cheap hobby. I think that pushing everyone to a canopy boat will dicourage the new who would like to give it a try. Nothing bad about stepping up but you still need a place to step in.
JIm
Old 01-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

that was really the point I was trying to make Donzilla. I would in a perfect world see 100-150 + boat in the divisional ranks OPA, great lakes etc. and to set the record straight I like the P-class rules always did ( certainly not perfect but what is ) , out of those a handfull to really get the bug and go to national classes what we need and ( I feel this is what randy was trying to say) is we need more of a incentive for teams to "move up" for lack of a better word.I certainly understand the problems with doing so ( mainly time off work with us anyway) , however ; for the sport to grow that is what has to happen divisional organizations [ local racing lots of boats ) feeding the national classes {fewer classes ( with good number perclass) but with less overall boat count} , just my 2 cents and as I said perfect world .
note! nothing I say in here is in anyway meant to insult or discredit any race team , I personally respect anyone who has the balls to strap a helmet on and go out on the course and lay it on the line. We all know most tough guys just stand on the dock or bar and tell you how hard they run. I salute those that do it
Larry Kostelac

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.