Notices

Why???

Old 01-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Why???

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
These are just questions on how to help people. There is no right or wrong answer. Its all good feed back and wish more people would post that have boats. It sounds like the traveling time is a big problem for most. I will tell the board at OSS that they may want to try and keep more races in the N.East or at least in the Atlantic Ocean. If more people respond that this is what it would take maybe its something they should look at. Lou if you feel that OPA is good for you then by all means keep at it. I am just wondering if there are people that want to get in a canopy but just cant and why.
MD
Randy, Communication is always good and will make what we do better in the long run. When I started fooling with race boats years back my father told me it's a sport of kings, well the only throne I have is made outta porclein. So we tow our own boat and race it and tow it home and fix it and repeat. I don't regret a minute of it. We are all lucky to have families that know we are nuts and put up with us, lol, sometimes I even think they enjoy it too. Time will tell on who can race what and where, but one things for sure you and your team have always given a 1000% to the sport and will always be an asset. 2007 here we come!
Louie
Old 01-03-2007, 07:49 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The question really is what will it take for someone to invest more time and money into racing with OSS? (Since OPA doesn't yet have a spec class) For me it would take the chance for TV exposure, huge purses and serious manufacturer support. In my opinion, if someone dedicates so much to racing they should be able to make money at it if they are reasonably successfull. Not paying to put the race on. I live in St Clair and I can tell you the impact of that race is enormous to the city.(Thank you Ed Smith) What we should be discussing is how to get Detroit, Cleveland, New York and other mega market cities to raise some serious $$$ and tv coverage. If you have $100k purses racers will race where the $$$ is.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

I believe Hagen is attempting to do just that. It takes a great show on TV to get people excited and to put on a great show you need a action packed fleet of boats. And in my opinion that would take 10-20 boats for that class to create that kind of excitment. If everyone sits and has the lets see what happens attitude no one will show. I think if Hagen is willing to take a shot at this sport and put up big money to move it forward we should all take this oppertunity. This may never happen again in our sport. People dont have to run the whole OSS year if they cant get the time but do as many as possable would be a start. You are all family to me and if there is a desire for any of you please call me and maybe we can help in some way by brain storming together.
MD
Old 01-03-2007, 02:52 PM
Registered

We are a new race team that had to make the OPA or OSS choice. We bought a bare 30'phantom. We have chosen to run OPA for the following reasons
1. no entry fee's
2. we live in the north east
3.We have no racing experience and feel OSS SVL would be out of our league at the present time.
4.It will take alot of set up time and experience to get our older phantom competative in OSS SVL we would wrather get this experience closer to home and without paying entry fee's.
5. the cost of a new 525efi vs P class motor
If all goes well and we get some experience and are ready to step up we will spend the money and race some OSS races in 2008. We are setting the boat up to OSS SVL specs except the motor so it will be easy to make the move.
Hope this might give you guys a Greenhorns view at making the choice we are very new to this but want to make a go of it.
Scott and Eddie
Old 01-03-2007, 03:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sd11856g
We are a new race team that had to make the OPA or OSS choice. We bought a bare 30'phantom. We have chosen to run OPA for the following reasons
1. no entry fee's
2. we live in the north east
3.We have no racing experience and feel OSS SVL would be out of our league at the present time.
4.It will take alot of set up time and experience to get our older phantom competative in OSS SVL we would wrather get this experience closer to home and without paying entry fee's.
5. the cost of a new 525efi vs P class motor
If all goes well and we get some experience and are ready to step up we will spend the money and race some OSS races in 2008. We are setting the boat up to OSS SVL specs except the motor so it will be easy to make the move.
Hope this might give you guys a Greenhorns view at making the choice we are very new to this but want to make a go of it.
Scott and Eddie
You have many good reasons. If I could change your mind on anything, it would be to buy the 525efi now. There are some low hour 525s for sale from OSS racers moving up to a new class. You dont need a brand new one. It'll be more reliable and trouble free. And will hold its value over a custom motor.

The extra money (maybe 10k) you lay out now, will save you a hell of a lot more on custom build motors and headaches down the road. Just my 2 cents speaking from experience.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Registered

LOL hey Bruce I just emailed you about your motor for sale. We hear ya on the 525efi thing its what we really want to do but we have so much damn cash to spend on this pig to get it race ready. we are keeping our motor options open though a 525 would be great and make more sense in the long run
Scott
Old 01-03-2007, 04:51 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SD,

Welcome to the OPA, you will never have more fun!
Old 01-03-2007, 05:46 PM
VIP Member

More racers = More fun. Welcome Guys. Call me tomorrow, 732 920 3945 Smitty
Old 01-04-2007, 05:38 PM
Registered

Very interesting reading and a great thread! Many well thought out points of views and ideas. I raced some in 2000 in P-5 Class, was just about when P class started as an organized enter level class. Had a daughter, then a son and had to get out of racing for a bit. Plan to get back into it in 2008. Looking forward to race in OPA and P-Class. I like the OPA no red tape, no hypocrisy, no hidden political agenda way of doing things. Doesn’t seem to be any feuds in that sanction. What was intriguing for me in P-Class, where many factors:
  • Run what ya brung
  • Fairly inexpensive & cost is really up to you! (like drag racing/bracket racing: More Speed=more $$$) but your really racing brackets and the bracket=speed-money
  • Had a vast array of boats, great mix!
  • No egos really, just FUN times and some bragging rights!
  • Plus as a fan of the sport first and racer second, I could relate to P-Class open cockpit boats to my own boats and friend's and family’s boats. Kind of like how some like NHRA Drag Racing Pro Stock Class, you can relate the car’s body type to your own street machine (not like a funny car class so much and definitely not like a dragster)
  • I kind of like to see the guys who tow their own boats to the race with their family and their SUV’s and all and make it a family weekend sport and a family trip/vacation at the same time.
  • It seems to be more related to the “Average Joe” every day man’s sport.
  • Kind of a grass roots racing run what ya brung.
  • Race your boat on Saturday and take your boat on a cruise with family on Sunday.

Just my .02 cents as an offshore race fan foremost and a racer second. Like I said, very interesting thread here and great input & points of view!

Johnny
Old 01-04-2007, 10:35 PM
VIP Member

Johnny, I dont know if we have ever met. I love the way you think. I wonder sometimes why we do the things we do. It is all because we are bigger fans than we are racers. Well spoken. I hope you find the time to join us. As a racer or a fan, makes no difference. Smitty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.