Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats the Times Hearld for you
Old 07-28-2007, 07:37 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Donzilla
Yeah and Wahoo is now Yahoo!
Last year it was talk offshore that couldn't get it right, this year its the paper. May be we hit up Yahoo! for some sponsorship??????

St Clair is insane right now. Must have been 25,000 in town last night all the beer tents were packed and you could hardly walk down street at 12:30am.. They closed the entire down town to have a party!!
Old 07-28-2007, 02:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wahoo ATV
Last year it was talk offshore that couldn't get it right, this year its the paper. May be we hit up Yahoo! for some sponsorship??????

St Clair is insane right now. Must have been 25,000 in town last night all the beer tents were packed and you could hardly walk down street at 12:30am.. They closed the entire down town to have a party!!
Dean maybe you should just go with Yahoo it is catching on. Wish we were there!
Old 07-28-2007, 10:53 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Scott heads north to race
By BILL YARBROUGH Jr., [email protected]
07/28/2007
Email to a friendPost a CommentPrinter-friendly
Edwardsville skipper takes on the Motor City
Call him the Motor City Madman.

For the first time this year, Edwardsville's Dave Scott and the Budweiser Select Offshore Race Team will compete in an Offshore Powerboat Association (OPA)-sanctioned race -- the St. Clair River Classic, hosted by Geico.

It's been a while since Scott and his crew raced in northern waters, and the team is looking forward to bringing offshore powerboat racing back to the Michigan area.

Not only is the race itself exciting for the team, but Scott is also proud to be able to give his sponsor some added exposure in a fairly new area.

"This race wasn't originally on the schedule, but I think it will be great for us, the sport and our sponsor to gain exposure in an area that doesn't get to enjoy our sport very often," Scott said. "It's always fun for us and the other teams to interact with spectators and help broaden the fan base for offshore racing.

"We have a huge presence in areas such as south Florida, but to be able to take it to Detroit is a great opportunity for all involved."

In 2006, Scott and crew won their ninth national championship on Lake Mead in Las Vegas. They also brought home the checkered flag in seven regular season races.

The team won its class at the Lake Rescue Shootout, with a speed of 178 miles per hour, and took second at the OSS World Championships in Destin.

Scott and the Budweiser Select Teams' most recent win of 2007 came during the Suncoast Offshore Grand Prix in Sarasota, Fla., and now the team looks forward to the next race in Michigan.

According to Scott, it will be a fast race, and they are planning to run the 44-foot MTI Extreme Boat in OPA's 'Xtreme Class.'

After the debut of the new 50'-foot Mystic in Sarasota, many thought the team would be running it again at the River Classic -- but according to Scott, the boat is busy that weekend.

"The 50-foot Mystic will be getting a much needed paint job," Scott said.

The St. Clair race consists of two long drag strips, prompting the OPA to check all boats for RPM and working limiters, and prop calculations will be enforced.

Because it is such a flat-water race, OPA plans to enforce the restrictions pertaining to each class to "ensure parity" among competitors.

Scott couldn't agree more.

"If you're going to win, you must do it with dignity," Scott said. "We want to win, but we definitely want to win fair and square. Johnny (teammate Johnny Tomlinson ) and I have talked a lot about the setup for this race. Without giving away too much, I think we have it all figured out while staying within the limitations."

Festivities for the St. Clair River Classic began Thursday as the boats began to arrive and will continue throughout the weekend.

Timed speed runs will take place on Saturday, and the first race on Sunday will begin at noon with two races to follow.

The Dave Scott Budweiser Select Offshore Race Team is one of the most successful offshore race teams in history, having earned seven world championships and nine national championship titles since 2001.

The team is also theproud owner of six offshore speed records. Dave Scott and throttleman Johnny Tomlinson have more than 32 years ofc ombined experience in offshore powerboat racing.

ŠEdwardsville Intelligencer 2007
Old 07-30-2007, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.thetimesherald.com/apps/p...707300301/1002

Big crowds hit St. Clair
Powerboat race, Riverfest combine to draw crowds 30,000 strong to small city

By CRAIG DAVISON
Times Herald

ST. CLAIR- Tony Marcantoni was up past 3 a.m. Sunday installing a new motor in his powerboat after losing one Saturday during testing.

Even after all that work, a propeller blade broke, ending his race on Sunday. However, he was still happy to be in St. Clair.

"This crowd, these people are awesome," said Marcantoni, 43, of Canton, Ohio. "This is huge. Every racer was excited to be here."

The offshore powerboat races capped off a weekend of music and fun in the first year that the St. Clair Riverfest and the River Classic Offshore races took place on the same weekend.
Marcantoni said many racers like St. Clair because spectators are great and it draws a bigger crowd than larger cities.

"(St. Clair) put offshore racing on the map," he said. "You have to thank everyone that does this."

Racer Bobby Walinske of Harrison Township said the location, with ample viewing for spectators, is what makes the race great.

"As long as it's here, we'll race something," he said.

St. Clair police Chief Donald Barnum said at least 30,000 people came to the city over the weekend.

Big crowds
Barnum said some of the largest crowds came out Friday, when Uncle Kracker performed and rumors spread that his friend, Kid Rock, might show up.
While the streets were packed with people and the side streets were crammed with cars, festivities were peaceful.

Barnum said after the races finished Sunday that police had made only two arrests for disorderly conduct.

"This is the largest event the city has ever experienced," he said. "For it to turn out like this, our hats are off to (organizers)."

Family event
St. Clair residents Ed, Vicki and April Adams usually take part in only one day of festivities during the race. This year, however, they spent the whole weekend at the festival, enjoying the music, attractions and races.
They said it was nice to see something that brought people to St. Clair.

"St. Clair is such a small town," April Adams said. "People come down and see what a nice little town it is."

The event was enough fun that they know where they'll be for next year's race and festival.

"It's a nice family weekend," Vicki Adams said. "Next year, we'll be down for sure."

Be sure to click on the link for a few good pictures
Old 07-30-2007, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That picture with the freighter is classic. I think it worked out perfect this year with the freighters, one came on to the course just as the first race was about to start, they delayed the start and then if my memory serves me correct there were no freighters on the course during any of the races. The town really did a great job, they had so many volunteers. Some friends that came in from OH, said that when they parked the car the attendents, said wow you are from OHIO, THANK YOU SO MUCH for coming to St Clair, that really made an impression on them.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:41 AM
Registered

I spent the weekend in St Clair and it was probably one of the best races I have seen organized in a long time. About the only bad thing I could say about it was the local road construction was a bit hindering but it sure didn't dampen anyone's spirits. The midway/drypits were probably a half mile long and packed the entire weekend. The shoreline was lined with huge crowds of people. I have heard there were 25,000 in attendance but I would have said more with the length of the course. There were beautiful homes on both shores throwing huge parties and watching the races. I would easily say there were twice the estimates that watched. Great Job OPA and Pro Series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: St Clair in the News

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.