Avoid the pit falls >

Avoid the pit falls

Notices

Avoid the pit falls

Old 03-08-2008, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Avoid the pit falls

GOFASTSOIC started a thread on what to do about creating a team. Maybe some of us could share some of the things that have not worked with teammates. Please no names and lets not hash up old personal war stories.
1) If you do have a financial agreement get paid 1 week before the race.
2) Never let someone pay you after the race.
Discuss prize money,who gets it.
3) Make sure your partners wife is good with the program
4) Make sure your partner sighns an agreement releasing you of any liability
5)Put in writing what happens if repairs and parts are needed. Who owns the parts when you stop racing.
MD
Old 03-08-2008, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

When I raced with others, I usually paid:
1) My membership dues
2) Half of the entry fees
3) My own motel room
4) Half the fees (tolls, gas, etc) to the race site
5) My own food (unless we ate at Carrabba's-our sponsor)
6) I also supplied my own safety equipment Jackest, helmet

It was agreed ahead of time that I was NOT responsible for mechanical issues and bills. I never signed an agreement, but I knew the owner well. Any prize money went to the owner. Hope this helps. Good thread Randy!

Last edited by Fast Shafts; 03-09-2008 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Robert,what years did you race with Carrabba's?I remember the boat well but dont think i ever met the team.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help Typhoon great list of questions.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

remeber too have fun, if it's a pain in the azz, your not having fun...it's supposed to be fun.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Registered

Im shocked none of you have any advise. Most teams dont last 1-2 years before they fall apart.
1) Just how committed is your partner to racing? Is he in for a one time thrill,is he competitive in other things in life, is he somewhat crazy, is he a chance taker, has he always wanted to do this and you have given him his one and only opportunity to be part of the team,does he feel grateful that you even gave him this opportunity.will he be at your shop working on your boat doing setup work no matter how crazy he thinks it is. will he put the team first and not go to that family birthday party. does he understand that this not always fun and hard work. These are all traits that make a great team. There are lots of good teams with nice equipment but its the great teams that win. If your not out to win then finding the right partner is easy. Its painful,hard work and takes commitment few are willing to do.
MD
Old 03-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Registered

you almost make it sound as though your lkooking for someone with blind allegience and obsessive devotion than a teammate. I raced offraod for years, spnt the time in someones shop doing the dirtywork so I could learn setup skills, sacrificed a social life to spend time in the shop, poured every spare nickle and dime into racing, made it as high as winning the baja 1000 and being ranked #2 in the country, then one day I realized that it had become more work than fun. your not going to make a living racing, its a hobby not a job for 99% its supposed to be fun, you may find the occasional volunteer for thats willing to "take one for the team" but fill his backside with enough buckshot, its going to start to hurt and unless he is being compensated to the point that the smile on his faces overrides the pain in his backside he is going to walk. Also when your at the top of your game you naturally attract others that are at the tops of thiers. this acn lead to conflicts whicjh can tear teams apart.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Registered

phragel, That is what I see in successful teams. Yes it is work to be a winner. You have experienced it as I read your post. The hard working teams always rise to the top. Like I posted if you just want to go out to say you are a boat racer and have no gut feeling you are going to push it to win then yes go out and put a friend in the boat and have fun. But I will bet the guy that won the race worked his a$$ off and took a couple of chances on the course that took a set of nuts. Winning is fun.
The other suggestion I would make is about sponsors. They are hard to get an NEVER borrow money thinking there check is in the mail.
MD
Old 03-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Registered

I have had many people ask me about how to get sponsors, I have always told them that sponsors aren't there to help you, sponsors are there to advertise and showcase their name/products. you need to act/present a responsible image..but you dont have to win every race to get them. you just need to be able to show the potential sponsor that your commited and consistant and explain how sponsoring you can benefit him. sponsorship is advertising plain and simple, you are offering exposure for product and or fee. most people dont grasp that concept. Then once you do make a name for yourself really good things can happen, like comming homefrom work and finding a big box of stuff on the porch with a note saying " would you try this out, tell us if you like it, see if you can break it, tell us how we can makeit better" Also think outside the box, I was sponsored by a restaruant..the less I spend on food the more I can spend racing..I was sponsored by a motorhome company..free motorhome to travel to races, just have to hang their banner on the side of the motorhome at the race.. best deal I ever had was from a pwc mfg. for 2 years they would give me one to use and ask me to try and break it riding offshore around san diego, when it broke I would call them, a truck would come drop off a new one and pick up the broken one. were always trying NOT to tear stuff up..imagine how fun it is to try and break stuff, being 30' in the air on a pwc is "interesting" a little painfull but a lot of fun.