Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > OPA/The Jersey Boyz
Purse Question for 2009 (New Thread turning Right) >

Purse Question for 2009 (New Thread turning Right)

Notices

Purse Question for 2009 (New Thread turning Right)

Old 12-04-2008, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could be wrong...but when I talked to Smitty around May or so...I think he has talk to them...I still think it comes down to politics....just because we are bracket racing...why would Merc not sell the OPA racers there equipment on the same program as OSS....and give us contingancy money to teams that are using there equipment...along with SBI/APBA..and support all the race sites...If were buying there equipment and parts and if Merc is nutral to all the politics...why would they not support all racers using there equipment...

This has come up before...but it was pretty simple...it was only OSS that would get any assistance from Merc...

But again...this may not be a bad thing....one company having a monopoly on all equipment is not always a good thing...

Randy how many mercury drives are being used in OPA..from a bravo to a bravo XR to #6's
and beween drives and engines that mercury builds...what needs the most maintance...

And there is nothing wrong with it if thats what Merc wants to do....but then there comes a time that you need to get other companys in the game....Like ILMOR, IMCO and Wiseman have done.....

Mercury has been good to me from day one....and I'm not trashing them at all...there equipment is great and proven...but OPA racers money and yours are all the same...and in the end we are all racers...using ther equipment and promoting Merc...but at the same time...I'm a small team that has only been doing this for 9 years...I hate to add up and see how much money I have spend on Mercury equipment and parts and service over those 9 years...I feel I have given Mercury good money over those years...and they have given me good products...but to say why should they support teams like me and the rest of the OPA racers using there equipment makes no sence at all..

Last edited by MANITIE; 12-04-2008 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:36 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys I didn't want my post to be about Mercury, they were only one example of who we should try to form relationships with. We have a great show and spend alot of $ on things as a group. Hotels, Parts, Gas, Appreal, Printing, Beer, Energy Drinks, Trucks, Trailers, etc...

At this point, Mercury is already one of Offshores biggest supporters. I just want a piece of the pie.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sean H
and when he spins it around, he does advertise both sides better... (sorry dean)
Sean....I think Tyle and Dean just wanted to see who was behind them and at the time this seemed to be the easies way to do it....
Someone told me that Dean is getting a rear camera and monitor for X-MAS...

Last edited by MANITIE; 12-04-2008 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Registered

To get back on subject....Dean...I think companys like Lucas Oil and others use todo alot with APBA...like if you used there product and put a sticker on you boat they would give you product on were you finished at every race....but not money...

For racers to get any money back ,it would have to come from a high dollor product that we are purchasing and promoting of theres...

As far as the Organization to get money...thats a lot differant...because they are selling our Organization and billboards on the sides of our boats.....But we as racers can also help...

I think in todays economy we should consintrate on getting our Organization and getting them as much money as we can...if our Org is taking in good money on sponsors then it will be passed down to the racers...

But we are very lucky....in our sport which most consider it a hobby...to have $25k prise purses at each race is very, very good....and not have to put up entre fee's to pay out the prise money....we are very fortunate to have some great race sites putting up the money along with GEICO....and as we grow...OPA's staff is going to need to grow...
We are very lucky to have staff members that do alot for us that get nothing for it....

This is just a suggestion and I know Smitty is always calling us and asking us for our opions...everytime I talk to Smitty...I ask him if he needs anything....he always says...no were good....maybe we really need to tie him and Augie down and really see waht we can do for them to help our Org.....

Just some idea's...again they may be stupid but be gental...

1.maybe do a donation trailer or auction at every race site...
We have some great venders like Freeze Frame, Throttle Up, ect. to donate some products or any local company at our race site to give us some free product and promote them in return...even free dinners at local resturants at our race sites...and put out the word to have a acution for these items on a Sat or Friday or even race day and auction these items off for donations and use it for extra assistance for the teams and help out to take care of our staff.....
2. Or even have a big car wash in front of a big store like a wallmart or home depot in our race towns for donations...and have some boats on display...it will promote the site and the place of bussniess...

There are many options we can look at....but the more we can cut the cost down for racers the esaier it will be to retain race teams and promote our Org

Just a thought again..

Last edited by MANITIE; 12-04-2008 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:08 AM
Racer
Racer

Gino you are absolutely correct. The sponsors should be for the OPA. A strong organization is what will benefit us all the most. The OPA can then use the $ to maintain race sites and support its members. Discounts and Contingency money is really very cheap, or even profitable, for most suppliers so it is something we need to pursue.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:28 AM
Registered

I think one of the things we loose site of is, what can I get today or this year...vice thinking long term...
Can you amagine if we held a yearly Auction at the same place of business year after year...it will grow...and get bigger and bigger just like our race sites do....we need to start tieing ourselves into big companys and do all we can to promote there company and be abe to show them a benifit to there buissness....if we do that they will invest more and more each year....

Even 2K to 4k today can be 10 to 15k in a few years...

Last edited by MANITIE; 12-04-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Augie I may be wrong but I think the Merc. truck at the worlds has a better chance of selling drives and parts based on multiple days of racing and the need to replace parts immediately to be able to race the next race.
Jim Gorlitz or Rick Macky at Merc 920-921-5330 please call them and ask. I would also love to see there truck at OPA races as well.
MD
Old 12-04-2008, 03:01 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Randy, if they weren't there that day I would have been finished! I think it's a great thing to have Merc at a site.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

If the OPA wants me to talk to them I will. Just have Smitty give me the green light. Lets not forget I am a OPA racer.
MD
Old 12-04-2008, 04:39 PM
VIP Member

Green light. I am sure Mercury is feeling the crunch, so dont get your hopes too high. That truck costs a fair amount of $ to move around. Most of the racers probably aren't even aware, that Mercury has a program where you can all register in, and buy direct.

Great threads buy the way guys. Great to see such positive stuff. Smitty

Last edited by Wazzup Racing; 12-04-2008 at 04:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Purse Question for 2009 (New Thread turning Right)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.