Notices

The Start of Something Great!

Old 07-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Start of Something Great!

Hello Racers and Race Fans,

In this letter you’ll hear some disappointing news, some good news and some great news. In the end, I hope you agree that this can only be viewed as a huge forward movement for the sport of Offshore Powerboat Racing.

Let’s start with the bad news. Unfortunately I must inform you about the cancelation of three races. Kenner – was not able to secure the needed sponsorship to bring an OSS race to town. I’d like to thank our race producers in Kenner for the monumental effort they put forward, it’s a shame it didn’t work out. Orange Beach – The race committee actually cancelled this race back in April feeling the economy in Orange Beach couldn’t support the event this summer. There was a small group of people trying behind the scene to keep the race alive but they weren’t met with enough support to make it happen either. Finally, the October race in Jupiter Florida was recently cancelled due to the economic climate in Florida and the lack of willing sponsors. Once again, thanks to everyone in Orange Beach and Jupiter that spent countless hours attempting to bring the OSS Race Series to their town. The National Championship race in Lake of the Ozarks is definitely on – September 25 – 27.

Everyone involved with this sport, be it a racer or a fan has been asking for unification for a long time and this seemed like a good time to investigate the possibilities. After several discussions with Ed Smith (Smitty) from OPA we’ve collectively come up with something that is very exciting and should certainly help move this sport in the right direction. Here’s what we’ve come up with. OSS will replace the Kenner race with a race one week later in St Clair MI (Aug 1&2). This will be a joint race with OPA run by the Blue Water Offshore Racing Association. This will be an OPA and OSS points race. We expect to have 60 boats at this race. From there, we’ll do another joint race in either Patchogue NY on Aug 22 & 23 or Point Pleasant NJ on Sept 12 - 13 to replace the Orange Beach Race. This will also be an OPA and OSS points race. Then on September 26 & 27 the Lake of the Ozarks will host the 2009 OSS National Championship Race. This will be an OSS points race but not an OPA points race, however, some of the OPA teams will be joining us in LOTO to show their support of our collective race series. (This is not an OPA points race only because OPA has a race one week prior in Cambridge MD and some teams may not be able to do back to back races.) As a final race (Worlds to replace Jupiter FL) OPA has been invited back to Ocean City MD in Oct and they’ve invited OSS to race there too. Details will be worked out over the next few weeks and we’ll keep you informed as to our progress. This race in Ocean City MD will be the final race for OPA and OSS in 2009.

As you can see, during 2009, OPA and OSS will keep their respective identities and race together. Once this season is over, it is our intention (with the approval of our teams) to drop the OSS and OPA names and come out with a new unified race series name for 2010 and beyond. For next year, we’ll take the best of our collective race sites and make a single fantastic series with more than 50 boats at every event.

Nothing worth doing comes easy and I’m sure that there will be a few bumps along this road to unification but we are determined to move down it for the betterment of Offshore Racing as a whole. We hope you agree and will support our efforts.

Ed Smith – OPA President Ron Polli - OSS President
Attached Thumbnails The Start of Something Great!-ossbluesmall.jpg   The Start of Something Great!-logo.jpg  
Old 07-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Registered

one word.....AWSOME!!!
Old 07-02-2009, 06:21 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,074 Likes on 283 Posts

Cool!
Old 07-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Racer
Racer

Great Work Guys!! This is the biggest thing thats happened in OffShore in years!! The Strictly Business Team is looking foward to some Super Races!!!

Thanks, Louie
Old 07-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Ron!

You are right, this is what all Offshore Powerboat Racing fans have been asking for and I'm sure many of the racers will also agree, United We Race. With the poor economy, it has taken it's toll on just about everyone and the unification of some of the races this year with OSS and OPA great news. I think that it will propel the sport and with 50 -60 boats at these races will make these races even more exciting. Great job and looking forward seeing the benefits it will bring to Offshore Powerboat Racing now and in the future. The fans will also get to see race boats that they have not seen race before and the race events will be a bigger show. It's all good and I can't wait for the St. Clair River Classic this year.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

This is the best thing that has happened in a very long time.OPA and OSS working together will improve every aspect of our sport.They said it could not be done;but Smitty and Ron have shown once again that they have the best interest of offshore powerboat racing in mind.The race teams need to get behind this 100%.This is what we all wanted;so lets all work together so that our sport can obtain the media attention and sponsor support that it deserves.Way to go Smitty and Ron!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2009, 09:43 PM
DriverofDonzi
Gold Member

TWO THUMBS UP FOR RON AND SMITTY!!!!!!!!!!

Way to go!

Chris
Old 07-03-2009, 06:19 AM
Registered

Cool

does this mean the ocean city race is on in the fall. Y not keep the name opa, since the opa has such a strong group of teams and support. just my thoughts. Wild Bill
Old 07-03-2009, 06:52 AM
Michigan Mad Man
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by purnell
does this mean the ocean city race is on in the fall. Y not keep the name opa, since the opa has such a strong group of teams and support. just my thoughts. Wild Bill
How about OPS.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by TylerCrockett
How about OPS.

OPS is better than OOPS!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.