Notices

Turn One Rules

Old 08-28-2012, 05:13 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,074 Likes on 283 Posts
Default Turn One Rules

Please dont turn this thread into a Sh!tshow. And Smitty, if youd rather me just call you, ill delete this and call ya, no problem.
My question is, is what I did here(skip to 2:30), Illegal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XxvhWfr9V4

I get that you cant go from lane 10 to lane 1 by cutting everyone off, but why not drop back and dive in on the inside? I gotta be honest, if you have to Hold your lane all the way through turn one and you have lane 10, you lose. When you come out your so far behind you may as well turn in, not like ya can go 80 just to catch everyone.

Thanks for the clarification, Im just a little confused, dont want any problems in Solomons.
Johnny
Old 08-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes johnny what you did you cant do that .
You have to maintain you lane the best you can threw the corner.
And here it is the first complete corner thats the 2 turns that make that complete turn you have to stay in your lane.
I know this to be forsure because i was going to use the drop back move and i was told not to do it or get a penality.

Hope this helps and there should be nobody saying anything about this because thats the way it is like it or not .

And by the way i dont like it
Old 08-28-2012, 05:40 PM
Driver-441
Racer

How bad is the penalty? Cant be any worse than losing, which is what happens if you get the outside lane in C5 and obey that rule lol
Old 08-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

weve never had a mishap that I know of in turn 1, I would like to see the transom rule like was used forever until now, I agree if your 4 boat lengths back and in lane 8 why would you have to hold a lane an troll all by yourself around the outside? or what about 2 boat lengths? I think what you did is what I would do being that far behind
Old 08-28-2012, 08:25 PM
Registered

At the point of the marker(Turn 1) you held your lane. However upon reaching Turn 1, you turned to the inside with the Turn 2 marker being so set back like it is in Solomons. The "unwritten rule" states that you are to maintain your lane through Turn 1. Here's the can of worms. Obviously, before you dove to the inside, you had passed the Turn 1 marker, does that mean that you were "through" the turn????

I'm with Gary in the fact that I was instructed directly that the check up/under will be penalized before the Port Huron race.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion, nobody should be required to hold thier lanes EVER.As Eddie said, we have never had an incident in turn 1 even with 15 boats like we had in Patchogue a few years back.I think the potential of a crazy first turn could be alleviated by lining up the boats by class in lane assignments prior to taking a parade lap.Take a full parade lap around the course...and then a pace lap(the pace boat could display a yellow flag at this point)...coming out of turn 4 on the pace lap... turn the boats loose as soon as possible and before the mid course start/finish line.The teams starting in the outside lanes need to gauge thier speed accordingly in order not to be left behind at the start.Teams wishing not to start too far outside could have the option to fall in behind the rest of the fleet after they cross the mid course start finish/line.Breaking out at anytime during the parade lap,pace lap or race itself should be penalizing accordingly.I also think that this starting procedure would add another element of excitement for the fans.

Last edited by waterboy1; 08-28-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:22 PM
Driver-441
Racer

I agree, the more straight away in front of us before turn 1 the better. I get that they want the hold your land rule because of some Class 6 mishaps and whatever, but I fee strongly that what you do BEHIND the pack shouldnt matter in this case.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:37 PM
Racer
Racer

Default Turn one rules

You would think this is a easy one but its not because mark my words the guy in lane 2 will drop back and cut off the lane 1 boat in the first turn then what how do i know this ask chris with the bat boat we did a move on him like that in orange beach .
I was told not to do that again sternly my feelings were really hurt
That being said can somthing be done to help the outside boats have a little help to get to the inside line maybe without cutting people off maybe so but there has to be some lane holding pattern for some distance .
Maybe doing the parade lap and letting them go at the bottom of the straight would work then boats could have the option to drop back or risk breaking out and moving over and passing before the first corner.
But before this can happen teams need to learn how to line up properly behind the pace boat to get a good start.
Last but not least remember if you do somthing thats not right you may get some form of a slap on the fingers and thats the way it should be take what you get and live with it.
We were DQ in port huron for passing on the wrong side of a marker opps and if it were like the old apba days we would have been fined at the drivers meeting for ricks phone going off what im getting at here is in my opion the opa should give out some form of slap on the wrist if you do somthing wrong they have been a little easy on that in my opion because they dont want to chase any teams away.
Sorry didnt want to turn this into a rule slap on the wrist thing but you know if change up the start teams will be all over the place at the start for a better lane and that could be good shake things up early in the race or we could be linded up after the race to get wacked with the ruler.

The joys of bracket racing.

Last edited by gary cook; 08-28-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:40 PM
Driver-441
Racer

I like Marks idea of a running start. Come around turn 4 at 50, drop the flag and go like hell. Having a straight away in front of you will fix all of these things
Old 08-29-2012, 12:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the approx 2 mile straight away (or however long it is) in Key West before turn 1, it helps out some but we've still dove in with 4 boats (out of 7/8). Although, it was definitely long enough to move around and find your own lane rather than the one you started in. I agree with starting as far back on the straight as possible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.