Notices

Entry level??

Old 02-08-2013, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Entry level??

Im still confused on why we dont have a entry level class. I hate the thought of another class but we dont have any way for a low budget boat to try out racing. I thought this was the intent of class 6 but now it has evolved into anything but entry.
Is there room for a pro am class, 25 miles, 60 MPH, go have fun, bring out your baja with stock power and give it a try type of class?
You have to put bait on the hook before you think you are going to catch fish. I just feel we are missing on what could be the biggest class based on 99% of the people cant even afford a class 6 used boat.
Thoughts
MD
Old 02-08-2013, 08:34 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Entry level

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
Im still confused on why we dont have a entry level class. I hate the thought of another class but we dont have any way for a low budget boat to try out racing. I thought this was the intent of class 6 but now it has evolved into anything but entry.
Is there room for a pro am class, 25 miles, 60 MPH, go have fun, bring out your baja with stock power and give it a try type of class?
You have to put bait on the hook before you think you are going to catch fish. I just feel we are missing on what could be the biggest class based on 99% of the people cant even afford a class 6 used boat.
Thoughts
MD
Entry level is there really such a thing BOAT break out another thousand .
A class 6 boat can be put together fairly cheap even if you start with your old 24 baha outlaw.
If you are a offshore boater or fan you know at almost any level its not go to be cheap.
There is allways rent a seat or rent a bat boat then they can go from there either way its going to cost dead presidents.

Just my 2 cent thoughts
Old 02-08-2013, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I have no dog in this fight, but wouldnt it be easier if 6 was supposed to be entrylevel to make it that way? Maybe Im confused but does entry level mean years of racing experience combined with a 95 mph boat with a 70 mph prop? Then again its not my place to say so I will shut up.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Gary...most people now can not even afford a small fishing boat to use on the weekends. Now they would have to take off work and loose money racing.

I do also agree Typhoon but I am hearing talk that some people want a single outboard class and are lobbying for it...im not really sure how that will work out but atleast people could get out and race and maybe take the bait
Old 02-08-2013, 09:29 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
Thoughts
MD
So equipment is a gauge of "entry level", or speed?
Old 02-08-2013, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see Typhoon's point, however, how many boats will show up at each event to run in a pro am type of race and then how do you equalize the boats if someone brings the 25' Baja with stock power & someone brings a 29' Fountain with a blower?

My personal opinion is that bracket racing affords anyone the opportunity to show up at a race and fit into one of our existing classes. Again, I don't feel it is OPA's responsiblity to make every boat competitive, but a newcomer could show up, be classified into a class and race. They may not be competitive, but they would experience what it is all about.

As far as entry level, class 5 and 6 are entry level. All under 30', all single engine. Most affordable way to go offshore racing. Experience has nothing to do with it, as entry level does not mean novice class.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:41 AM
Registered

Factory 1 was great racing...
Old 02-08-2013, 09:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
Factory 1 was great racing...
And expensive.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sbracing
And expensive.
I told you we couldnt keep on agreeing....

I can only compare 2003 when I saw the expenses of a P5 team and a F1 team in the same year. P5 expenses were way more than the F1 team by a long shot

and I'm just talking motor & maintenance
Old 02-08-2013, 09:54 AM
Registered

But to add.... Factory 1 is gone, the last official race of the class was April 1, 2008 in St Cloud, FL....Stick a fork in it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.