Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > OPA/The Jersey Boyz
OFFICIAL RESULTS: 2013 Great Race on the Sea ~ War on the Shore (Long Beach) >

OFFICIAL RESULTS: 2013 Great Race on the Sea ~ War on the Shore (Long Beach)

Notices

OFFICIAL RESULTS: 2013 Great Race on the Sea ~ War on the Shore (Long Beach)

Old 09-04-2013, 04:53 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bwd
Hey Dee, do you have the shot from the class 4 finish?
Hey Brian, the Class 4 finish was close but was NOT a photo finish. I am still working on photos
Old 09-04-2013, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the video!!

Last edited by jp2snowman; 09-04-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:51 PM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand in the mayhem of the permit givin up , picture wise, it wasn't that close. It just needed to be reviewed. It was a good show! Good for us we were ahead when the flag was thrown. There was a reason for that btw. :-) Bash away Johnny. lol see you in 2 weeks. We snuck one by this time but we have no doubt you all will bring your A game to the Solomons. BW
Old 09-04-2013, 07:52 PM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jp2snowman
I like the video!!
What Vid?
Old 09-05-2013, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In speaking with Daddy PTM, and to offer another insight, it would be interesting to hear the Helo pilots' and the Safety/Rescue Professionals' recollections as they were just behind/over us during that scoot for the finish line. We both agree it's almost a moot point as neither of us were (nor are) in contention for a top 3 finish; however, there does lie another perspective(s) not queried. Concurrently and for note, we respect the final rulings of the scorers.

It would be of educational value to understand the placement of the finish in relation to the shoreline when an outside buoy does not exists. I would agree with Dee to keep the hammer down for an extra few seconds to assure lap completion as the "outside marker" may not be apparent.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:02 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucididee
Tim I don't know what you are trying to get at?
It was a simple question what I thought would have been a simple answer.
See post # 5.
Where is the imaginary Start / Finish Line drawn from? 90 degrees from the pillow to the beach ? Or 90 degrees to the beach from the Chief Scorer's Line of sight ? I would hope it is not off the pillow unless you had a scorer in a fixed position on the beach. As you know the boat moves with the tide. Therefore I would hope the decision is made with the line of sight 90 degrees to the beach with a fixed reference point on the beach background. Another words, you can't go wrong with the S/F boat as being one side of the finish line and the pillow is only used as a navigation marker not a scoring marker.
Just my thoughts.
P.S.
Was the Bat Boat visible from Sam's position ?

As far as the photo being watermarked , I made no mention of that and would not even be the that last person to care a less if it was watermarked. I only stated the composition as it was chosen to be the image posted with the decision making of the change of order which is not at 90 degrees to the pillow or the beach.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 09-05-2013, 11:06 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by bwd
What Vid?
He might be referring to this Video: http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/op...56b7#h61333500

Old 09-05-2013, 11:48 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES
It was a simple question what I thought would have been a simple answer..........................
I do understand tides and also the fact that the S/F boat is constantly moving. As well as when the tides changes the turn and S/F pillows can also be slightly adjusted as well. I'm pretty sure we all understand this. However, you question does NOT have a direct answer, when Mother Natures waters are the course OPA must rely on the other scorers on the boat for there view. From the angle I was postioned and Sam was position both photos show Miss PTM finishing ahead of Grinch, as well as your video showing the same result.

Where is the imaginary Start / Finish Line drawn from? From the Chief scorer's line of sight. Hence why OPA has to limit the amount of people on these boats so that they DO NOT get in the way of scorers line of sight. (Unfortunately, we have had complaints of members of the Media from captains of the boats that have volunteered there vessels for the events, and have to reevaluate the OPA process for Media assignment on the water.)

Was the Bat Boat visible from Sam's position ? I answered that question already and said the Sam was the Scorer that that informed Toni, the Chief Scorer, of the finishing position on the course via his camera. My photo only reiterated Sam photo find.

My photo had NOTHING to do with the call/change by the scorers. I just happened to shuffle through my photos and find what I had. I see you have the video, do you not have the same photo from when you were standing behind Sam? At the time I was to post the order change, I had to go with what I had to work with (anticipating that the public would be requesting an image for them view).

You're statement of " I only stated the composition as it was chosen to be the image posted with the decision making of the change of order which is not at 90 degrees to the pillow or the beach." Was NOT the photo that was used to determine the change in the finishing order. It was NOT the official image that was used to determine the final ruling. If you do not like how this was handled, please contact another OPA representative with your suggestion as to a better handle this if this does arise in the future again. At the time I was to post the order change, I had to go with what I had to work with.

Please leave the scoring to the official scorers. All matters where discussed with all parties has to what transpired behind so-to-say "closed doors" before it was made public. All I do is relay the information to the public and the the racers.

As I am sure you will be in Solomons for your 3rd OPA race of 2013. I ask of you to please refrain from any more questions on scoring matters and to direct all questions to the OPA Chief Scorer. I am sure you will be able to answer any of your questions on Saturday. She will not be able to do answer these questions on Sunday as she will be on duty and has to tend to scoring matters.

Again, if there is an issue with the 2 two teams in which the final positioning was changed, they may contact OPA for ALL documentation and pose any questions they may have.

Last edited by Lucididee; 09-05-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,075 Likes on 284 Posts

Just next timer put the red flag AFTER the Start/Finish Boat....or I'm going to keep racing to the Start/Finish boat.....you got it easy this time Brian
Old 09-06-2013, 02:07 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

However, you question does NOT have a direct answer,
Apparently it does have a direct answer. You stated it right here:
Where is the imaginary Start / Finish Line drawn from? From the Chief scorer's line of sight.
That was the simple answer to my simple question.

Here is what that Line of Sight looks like. The RED line is 90 degrees to the beach or 12 o'clock. The Green line is the approximate view of the angle of your camera.
Someone may ask, how do you know you are looking straight into the beach? It's simple. Look for the building you cannot see either the east or west side of it. In your shot you see the east side of the buildings which puts you east of the boats and east of the yellow pillow.
Pic from Video:

90 degrees to the beach:

From the angle I was postioned and Sam was position both photos show Miss PTM finishing ahead of Grinch, as well as your video showing the same result.
To say the Video shows the same results as your still image, I would really like to know what you are looking at for the inshore point of the S/F line ? You have already established it is the line of sight from the scorers position. Now in any race I have been to or even scored at, that line of site would be 90 degrees to the beach or say 12 o'clock. Not 2 o'clock or 10 o'clock but straight line into the beach. Once the boats pass you there is no way you can tell who has the lead unless perhaps you were on a Tuna Tower.

(Unfortunately, we have had complaints of members of the Media from captains of the boats that have volunteered there vessels for the events, and have to reevaluate the OPA process for Media assignment on the water.)
I have attended 3 events this year. 2 of those events I have contacted and no such complaints exist. The 3rd I shot from land as well as on the water where as "I" secured an additional patrol boat when an assigned patrol boat broke down and a back up boat was needed. I would certainly be interested in where these alleged complaints came from. Every one of the boats I have ever been on over the years have always invited me and other Media Photographers back for the following year. Now suddenly (you) feel the need (to reevaluate the OPA process for Media assignment on the water.) ??? Seems like a power trip reaction to something that has had no issues in the last 41 races in the last 10 years I have been shooting OPA.

My photo had NOTHING to do with the call/change by the scorers.
Perhaps you shouldn't have posted it then with an "Official" announcement.

I see you have the video, do you not have the same photo from when you were standing behind Sam? At the time I was to post the order change, I had to go with what I had to work with (anticipating that the public would be requesting an image for them view).
And how does that make sense to post an image that had NOTHING to do with the call with the official announcement and labeled "Photo Finish"?

In fact I do have an image of the finish and it was taken at 90 degrees to the beach where I presumed the Finish line was to the "Line of Sight" from where the Start Finish boat was positioned.

As in past practice, I would be asked for images I have taken for OPA's review on a number of matters.

In this case obviously due to it being 6th and 7th place, proof given it was close enough. Sure glad it wasn't between 1st and 2nd place.

Please leave the scoring to the official scorers. All I do is relay the information to the public and the the racers.
Be real, You do a lot more than just relay information and most people already know that. Scoring IS up to the official scorers. Photography for a news outlet is up to me. And if the news organization wants a shot across the Finish line I better damn well know where that line is not to mention the Racers should be aware of it as well. You stated to me at the 1st race of the year that you made a commitment to have a Press Release after every Race. 6 races have gone by now but how is it there have only been 2 Post Race Press Releases put out ?

As I am sure you will be in Solomons for your 3rd OPA race of 2013.
Being as you are keeping score of how many OPA Events I am attending,(not sure why this matters?) Solomon's will be my 4th race in 2013 . Please try to be accurate.

The scorers decision is final and everyone knows it. No argument there.

Future races such as this should clarify what constitutes the Start /Finish line.

Solomons??? That one is easy. The S/F Boat and the Pier. Simple enough. Cheers !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.