2014 National points OPA >

2014 National points OPA

Notices

2014 National points OPA

Old 05-19-2014, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts
Default 2014 National points OPA

Whats the deal with points with this new race added to the schedule (LOTO) I would assume that we will be able to drop one race this year if LOTO is a points race. Just want some clarification on this now. If I am incorrect on this and we cant drop a race then many teams season will be over due to not being able to ever have a chance of regaining the points lost on this last minute race added to the schedule.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think OPA's timeframe for the announcement was adequate. It was out there before the first race even happend and that was sooner than some races have been announced in the past.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:12 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Randy, Please tell me in what sport a team can actually plan not to attend a race/event and still expect to be a National winner?

If you remember or are unaware of ......... back in 2010 (with Sunny Isles on the schedule) teams were allowed to drop a race. The same year the AC race was cancelled with teams only receiving 50 points for that race. Where is the fairness that #540 Boat Responsibly attended EVERY race on the schedule, then had to drop 50 points, and loose the National title by 18 points to #512 Specialized Racing?
(Results from 2010 http://www.oparacing.org/results_2010.html)

As well as that same year, the Class 4 National Champion did NOT even show up at the National title race. Where is the support to the race promoters and their event?

Are you saying that only teams should be able to drop a race when they are a greater distance for NJ/NY/MD teams? For the Michigan teams they are approximately the same distance from LOTO as they are NJ.

(This is me speaking strictly from a personal opinion)

Last edited by Lucididee; 05-19-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:17 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
Whats the deal with points with this new race added to the schedule (LOTO) I would assume that we will be able to drop one race this year if LOTO is a points race. Just want some clarification on this now. If I am incorrect on this and we cant drop a race then many teams season will be over due to not being able to ever have a chance of regaining the points lost on this last minute race added to the schedule.
Assumption is wrong. I have been advised that there will be NO dropped point races.

Keep this in mind, even though Typhoon attended all the national races last season .... Tug It was only 40 points behind you. dropp

If points would have been allowed to be dropped last season, the High Points champion would not have been Cleveland Construction it would have been Wazzup II. Take a gander and see for yourself http://www.oparacing.org/results_2013.html

Last edited by Lucididee; 05-19-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:47 PM
Registered

I am just stating my opinion here, I don't speak for anybody else but me.

I totally understand the need for boat count. I also understand that OPA does its very best to put on 7 to 8 races a year like its normal.

From an owner or racer point of view its really tough when races are added to schedules at the last minute. Some of us have regular jobs and can only get away a certain amount of time and its tough to find more vacation time when there is none to have.

Anyway the idea of being able to drop a race has been around for a long time and part of it is to allow teams to drop their worst finish which in turns should make the standings closer. That's the theory. Another reason is to allow a team to miss a race anytime during the year and not be out of the National hunt.

Other teams pick races based on their strengths, for example rough or calm water.

My fear is that if teams start missing these early races they would be less willing to participate in races that are far from their home base.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by SVL4
Anyway the idea of being able to drop a race has been around for a long time and part of it is to allow teams to drop their worst finish which in turns should make the standings closer. That's the theory. Another reason is to allow a team to miss a race anytime during the year and not be out of the National hunt. .....................My fear is that if teams start missing these early races they would be less willing to participate in races that are far from their home base.
I would agree if in fact it was a worst finish scenario. A finish means you attended the race

Again, why penalize a team that does attend all the races?

On a bigger perspective, if boats don't show up to the sites, then the site will NO LONGER EXIST. There really is a bigger picture.

Bring into the HOME BASE aspect of it, well, this is the approximately the same distance for the Michigan teams to LOTO as it is NJ/NY/MD.

When looking at the schedule for last season to this season, there is ONLY 1 National race that is different. (In 2013 it was East Tawas for LOTO and in 2012 it was Atlantic City for East Tawas)

As well as, well, um um um........ SVL boats kinda took themselves out of the race with incidents on the course.

============================================

Instead of wanting to throw-away a race.............. why don't you guys come up with possibilities on how to create bonus points.

Last edited by Lucididee; 05-19-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:08 PM
Registered

Dee,

Using your logic of not penalizing boats that attend, why would 50 points be given in the cancelled races. 50 points is easier to make up than 100!

The boats that did not go to NJ because they were not ready or simply because they did not want to go or could not go only loose 50 points which again its a lot easier to make up.

Again, To win a true National championship in my eyed you have to beat all the teams all the time, not win by default. To me winning by simply attending races is not winning on the water but rather on the highway.

I will race whenever Kevin allows me to and be happy about it.

Wil
Old 05-19-2014, 02:29 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by SVL4
Dee,

Using your logic of not penalizing boats that attend, why would 50 points be given in the cancelled races. 50 points is easier to make up than 100!

The boats that did not go to NJ because they were not ready or simply because they did not want to go or could not go only loose 50 points which again its a lot easier to make up.

Again, To win a true National championship in my eyed you have to beat all the teams all the time, not win by default. To me winning by simply attending races is not winning on the water but rather on the highway.

I will race whenever Kevin allows me to and be happy about it.

Wil
A complete penalization would be to award teams NO points when a race is cancelled.

Again this is my opinion (and have always felt this way), if you want a National title, you should be at EVERY race. You should not be able to pick and choose the race(s) you want to attend. If you don't support the sites, there won't be places to race

We could go on about this topic forever.............
Old 05-19-2014, 03:25 PM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dump the points system and race to win every race you can go to. Just my opinion.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

If that's the case then Biloxi counted as a points race for the teams that went? I just want to get this straight. I was told one thing and now into the season it has changed. It cant work like this changing on the fly. What next ? Double points at some races to get people there? ALL this should be in stone at the beginning of the year IMO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.