Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > OPA/The Jersey Boyz
What to do before heading to Solomons Island? >

What to do before heading to Solomons Island?

Notices

What to do before heading to Solomons Island?

Old 09-26-2014, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do before heading to Solomons Island?

The wife and I will be flying into Reagan DC Thursday morning to spend the day there before heading out Friday to meet the Batman crew for the races. This will be a first time for both of us there so we will spend the day checking out the sites. My question is where would be a good place to stay that would be a neat atmosphere and have a view that I could maybe impress my bride with?
Old 09-26-2014, 12:13 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Try to get a room at the W Hotel in DC. They have a rooftop bar with awesome sunsets. (Bar is open to anyone though, unless there is a private party.)

Also, for water theme, you could stay in Old Towne Alexandria, VA which is right on the river, and stone's throw south from the Airport. The Gaylord Resort on MD side of the river is nice, but very expensive/gimmicky/touristy; albeit it is on the water too.

Of ALL the monuments and such in DC, the BEST ONE is the Pentagon 9/11 Memorial; and go at night. It's a MUST SEE when in the area.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not come to Solomons on Thursday? We have a great party on Thursday night and would love to have you. What Sydwayz are cool places but Annapolis is always a good time with great places to eat. Most of the crew from that area are headed down on Thursday. See you next weekend.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:16 AM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had a extra day to hang out , I would make my way to the Solomon's. Great food nice people and quaint. When in Rome.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This will be my first OPA race & I'll be staying at the Naval Air Station Patuxent River. Looking foward to the competitiion and excitement. If anyone has a military ID card active or retired you can get a room there too, if that helps out.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I might hit up Washington DC the Monday after.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:03 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Traffic into DC is hellacious on a weekday, especially on a Monday. Plan to arrive in DC around 10AM if driving in.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's exactly what I was planning. I won't be in Solomons till 5:00pm Friday. Never been to Washington DC, figured since it's right there figured I'd drove through.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Try to get a room at the W Hotel in DC. They have a rooftop bar with awesome sunsets. (Bar is open to anyone though, unless there is a private party.)

Also, for water theme, you could stay in Old Towne Alexandria, VA which is right on the river, and stone's throw south from the Airport. The Gaylord Resort on MD side of the river is nice, but very expensive/gimmicky/touristy; albeit it is on the water too.

Of ALL the monuments and such in DC, the BEST ONE is the Pentagon 9/11 Memorial; and go at night. It's a MUST SEE when in the area.
Roof top bar was awesome! Good call...