01 42 on boat trader >

01 42 on boat trader

Notices

01 42 on boat trader

Old 01-27-2011, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by n20michael
According to the salesman the motors are freshly rebuilt, I didnt ask about drives, I thought #6's where pretty much bulletproof? What could potentially be wrong with them? I figure 8-10K if it does need exhaust, and they are accepting offers, COULD be a pretty good deal, what do you guys think?

Michael
The drive's are almost bulletprof but if they were not serviced will be a time bomb, I would need to see some kind of paper work on the motors or a 50 or so hour warranty, you could send the oil out to be tested to get some feel for how they are and a comp. and leak down test. I have a hard time thinking somebody took the motors out to rebuild and didn't clean the bilge. So if you add it up like this, Motor (2) rebuild 20-30k if nothing is wrong and you have a hook up,if the blowers need to be rebuilt tack on another 3-5k trans and drive rebuilds again if nothing major wrong 7-10k clean and fix paint 3k, new cockpit 5-10k depending on what you want, I would want a full sunpad. Hope the rigging is still ok but I bet any top shop will want to redo that too, got no clue on that cost but say 20k for rerig and all the other little stuff that pops up. Then with the year of it how are the fuel tanks? Thats why I said it needs to be 100k with a trailer to make it still a good deal if it turns into a basket case. I saw that boat when it was new and it was one of the coolest boats of it's time. I would bet my cost are low but I do most of the work myself so don't know the going rate. I would not take on that much work because I wouldnt be boating for 2 years. If I had the money I would lowball them on the boat then send back to OL or Nortech and have them do it. Either shop it would be better than new when you got it back, they have 10 years of learning and better stuff now.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good points!! And a real eye opener, when you look at it in those terms even 100K is more than its worth! My initial thoughts where to yank the "Fresh"? Blower motors out, sell them for a reasonable price (20 or 25K? For the pair) and put the money into a pair of 850 or 1075's and have a nice boat for decent money. BUT, as you say, if you have to fix a pile of stuff it COULD add up quick!

The idea of getting it cheap and shipping it back to Outerlimits makes the most sense in my opinion!

Thanks!
Michael
Old 01-27-2011, 09:27 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I would just try and get more info on the boat before a person makes any hard moves on the boat. Just my .02s.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOWRIDE-388
I would just try and get more info on the boat before a person makes any hard moves on the boat. Just my .02s.
+1. If anyone is interested go and look at it. It amazes me the people that want to buy boats and wont even take the time to actually go look at them. Just my .02.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:40 AM
Registered

If I was ready to buy I would go and look at it and do some of the test I talked about, but the price listed, 30 pictures and no write up in the add screams call us so some fast talking sales man can try and sell it. I like the adds that give you all the info you want to make you call. But they must be so busy selling boats thats all they had time for. Fountain40 you work at OL just by looking at the pictures how much do you think it would cost back at the factory to get that boat back to 8 out of 10 ? I love the OL boats not trying to hate on them but thats one of the most beat ones I have ever seen.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:18 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

The cost of that boat is pertaining to the motors. With the look of the bilge, who knows how long that's been sitting.

There's a major difference between rebuilt and refreshed. Who knows what parts they put in, or if someone put a washer or a bolt down the carbs. You need documented response here. Those motors are awfully high powered to just go in blind, you could wind up with the costs quickly escalating.

This boat could however just be a diamond in the rough, though I hightly doubt it. That looks like oily grunge...that thing need some serious R&R, If someone got the price down and put some coin in it, you'd have a gorgeous example.

Looks allot like my previous 42...had a very similar graphics scheme.

I'd get a marine survey, and check the motors out, or see if they start...if the hull's good, get the price down, and find yourself an excellent mechanic to start on a few things, and you could get away with a gorgeous boat...

GL to whoever does it!
Old 03-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

She's coming home to Cali (and AZ for a few months)
Old 03-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't wait to start cleaning it up. It's missing the switchable mufflers. Any suggestions on which ones it came with or which ones to put on?
Old 03-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Registered

congrats. Keep us updated on all the speculation that was made in the above thread. I hope you got a diamond that just needs some TLC
Old 03-12-2011, 10:43 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

We run HPI mufflers. They work great. Have not had any problems with the loto law. Knock on wood of course.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.