OL epoxy boats >

OL epoxy boats

Notices

OL epoxy boats

Old 08-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OL epoxy boats

How is your paint holding up? I know from being in the body shop business it hard to get paint to stay put. Im having trouble thinking paint on the bottom with no gell coat is not a good thing.. I like the idea if i get a nick on the bottom its easy fixed... what are you guys doing with paint chips etc on the bottom with a epoxy boat? i know many boat are built this way (skater) just curious how it holds up..

Thanks
Jeff
Old 08-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by customryder
How is your paint holding up? I know from being in the body shop business it hard to get paint to stay put. Im having trouble thinking paint on the bottom with no gell coat is not a good thing.. I like the idea if i get a nick on the bottom its easy fixed... what are you guys doing with paint chips etc on the bottom with a epoxy boat? i know many boat are built this way (skater) just curious how it holds up..

Thanks
Jeff
Stop thinking as their bottoms are still done in gel.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Enough 4 Play
Stop thinking as their bottoms are still done in gel.
You are correct Gary and the paint holds up fine everywhere else.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Registered

thank you, did not know that... did not think you could gel over epoxy... guess so.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by customryder
thank you, did not know that... did not think you could gel over epoxy... guess so.
They do not put gel over epoxy. The 1st thing that is put in the mold is the gel.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The Gel and / or primer ( depending on if the customer wants gel or a painted bottom ) is applied first, and then the Outerlimits laminate schedule takes over. I am not going to get into the details, but I can tell you that neither gel or paint is applied directly to the epoxy. The paint holds up very well on these boats, and the finish is excellent, since most of the shrinkage occurs in the oven when the boat is "cooked", and then the entire boat is blocked by hand to eliminate the waves and imperfection that you may see on other manufactures attempt to epoxy hulls.

The craftsmen in the glass shop have been working with the epoxy and carbon long before it was used in the performance industry, you can not replace the knowledge that these guys have. They all come from the polar opposite of performance boat building, however, they are so different on the surface, but they both share the common goal of strength and weight savings.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by animalhouse
The Gel and / or primer ( depending on if the customer wants gel or a painted bottom ) is applied first, and then the Outerlimits laminate schedule takes over. I am not going to get into the details, but I can tell you that neither gel or paint is applied directly to the epoxy. The paint holds up very well on these boats, and the finish is excellent, since most of the shrinkage occurs in the oven when the boat is "cooked", and then the entire boat is blocked by hand to eliminate the waves and imperfection that you may see on other manufactures attempt to epoxy hulls.

The craftsmen in the glass shop have been working with the epoxy and carbon long before it was used in the performance industry, you can not replace the knowledge that these guys have. They all come from the polar opposite of performance boat building, however, they are so different on the surface, but they both share the common goal of strength and weight savings.
I was thinking some of the bottoms were painted thanks for clearing that up... I can stop "thinking" now.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by animalhouse

I dont understand about 80% of the stuff regarding composites and layup, I DO however appreciate that the end result is one the finest products in the marine world [-: