Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Outerlimits
42 Legacy Opinions >

42 Legacy Opinions

Notices

42 Legacy Opinions

Old 08-03-2019, 02:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going to chime in! Just loving the Nortech 43, couldn't be happier! This was Jeff's 3rd 43 he built and has a lighter layup, vacuum bagged/kevlar/vinylester mixed. I've put right around 100 hrs on her since December running the Catalina Channel. This picture was from the June 15th Fun run. I too was looking at a 42 Legacy vs 43 Nor-tech. What you have to know is every boat is a custom build...paint scheme, engines, interior. However, what remains constant based on the vendor/make/model is the overall hull cockpit, cabin, dimensions, shape, specs etc. What I found out for myself after getting this 43 is that it was much more impressive than the videos I watched on FPC of it running. I agree that for sure the OL hulls are lighter and more deeply stepped for a faster ride at the same power levels vs. the Nor-tech. I haven't driven an OL 42 Legacy yet, but hope to soon as there's one here that we ran with over to the island in June which at that time I did see that he could gain some space with the 1075's vs 700's stock with heavier hull. I'm going through the top ends now and looking to throw some complete brand new 700sci factory long blocks in, which are a great value vs. rebuild. Then a stage 3 Whipple tune will bring them up to right around 950 on 91 octane according to several Joe at Baca Marine has dyoned. The Nor-tech to me has a significant advantage in cabin space, headroom, and interior materials/fit/finish/quality I've seen countless older OL's with sagging headliners and interior material that's literally falling apart. I know most of that is just how an owner takes care of their boat, so nothing against the mfgr, but from all the pictures I've seen, a lot of the OL's have deteriorating interiors whereas most of the Nor-techs I've seen age very well in the cabin. The cockpit interior I went through completely to replace the worn out foam and update the styling with the diamond stitch pattern and upgraded all the speakers so had to cut into the panels and get to the wiring. Was easier to remove, fix and reinstall. It was a good thing because I was able to repair some wood rot and minor water leaks at the belt line/cleat pockets/horn/etc. as well as the hatch hinge mount areas that had rotten wood....replaced with King starboard so that will never happen. All in all I cant say enough about the rough water handling of this hull and the power delivery of the 700's at stock levels. In reality, running engines above 5400 rpm works the valve train and reduces engine life and a comfortable run across the ocean while providing a good adrenaline rush is right in the 70 to 80mph range which is at 4k rpm on my this setup with 18" x 32 pitch x 18 rake Mercury cleavers. And the cabin space cannot be beat at 6' 4" headroom at the head/sink/refrigerator/kitchen area and then tapers down to right around 5' 7" at the very front by the V birth, which is really nice! From what I've experienced in a lot of ocean conditions out here on the west coast, this hull at 9' beam and the cabin space is above all the other hulls. The only hull larger and more spacious is the 52 Nor-tech. When the new power upgrades are in place, we will see what she can do alongside the other guys out here in different sea conditions. One thing is for certain, I was the first boat to the harbor patrol at the Catalina Fun Run. I started in the 2nd pack of boats and stopped 2 times to wait for group to leave and then for the helicopter to catch up and get in position. There were several boats running hard to catch up and they were getting serious air trying to catch me while I was able to stay balanced at 50 to 30 on the tabs and 9 to 13 on the drives, according to my Smartcraft. Not saying the Nortech is the fastest boat out there, but one thing for sure, the space, speed, overall control that I have with this hull can run with the best of them. Now with the bump to 900 to 950hp, It will get very interesting to see how it stacks up with some of the faster/lighter hulls in the same class. The smaller 35 range hulls with more power could not overtake me in moderate conditions, and I always run smooth and focus on not beating up the equipment.

Last edited by Mauryloomis; 08-03-2019 at 05:03 AM. Reason: picsa
The following users liked this post:
endeavour32 (11-20-2019), H20W8STER (02-18-2024), Plum_Crazy (08-19-2019), SUPERSTITIOUS (11-21-2019), Sydwayz (08-03-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 06:27 AM
Registered

Received 830 Likes on 350 Posts

^^Wow that is a gorgeous 43 you have there!
Old 08-03-2019, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 415 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by IGetWet
^^Wow that is a gorgeous 43 you have there!
Agreed, BEAUTIFUL!!!
Old 08-03-2019, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by underpsi68
Agreed, BEAUTIFUL!!!
Thank you guys! It was a process that has been very rewarding!
Old 11-20-2019, 07:10 PM
Registered

Endeavour32, have you found a 42 yet? Or going another route?
Old 11-20-2019, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

I've tried buying few Outerlimits, since I started my search. The problem is, NADA doesn't have any values for them, so nobody will finance them. At least I haven't found anyone, and I work with one of the best guys for financing performance boats. Even one of the major dealers in LOZ said they are hard to finance, they blamed Outerlimits for this problem.

I've got my eyes on a different brand, if/when it happens, I'll report back.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:23 AM
Registered

Gotchya. Good to know. Thanks for the update. Everything works out for a reason.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavour32
I've tried buying few Outerlimits, since I started my search. The problem is, NADA doesn't have any values for them, so nobody will finance them. At least I haven't found anyone, and I work with one of the best guys for financing performance boats. Even one of the major dealers in LOZ said they are hard to finance, they blamed Outerlimits for this problem.

I've got my eyes on a different brand, if/when it happens, I'll report back.
have you called the factory? There’s no way everyone is just writing checks for them. They sold a 41 this week, significant deposit but I believe he’s financing the rest.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd

have you called the factory? There’s no way everyone is just writing checks for them. They sold a 41 this week, significant deposit but I believe he’s financing the rest.
If I find another one that I like, I am going to call the factory, and see what they recommend.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
If you are going with a 42, look for one with 700's!!! Maintenance isn't much difference than a 525 boat with top ends at 250 hours and you're still going to be running 105-110. When you step up into a 1075 boat, you will gain an extra 10mph but have to do valve lash every 20 hours, top ends at 80 (if they make it there), and they are NOT fresh water cooled, which to me makes a huge difference because I boat in salt. The newer models that you could go with 700's would be the SL41 and SL44, but they didnt make many with 700's. If you get into a 46, you will need to go with the 1075's because I dont think they made them with 700's. To me the utimate setup would be a 46 with 6's and some turned up 700's.
No love for 1075s. Can they have reliability added?

Why is the valvetrain so junk? What are the cam specs?

Do sunny F4s compare favorably to NT and OLs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.