Fuel cooler- do I need one? >

Fuel cooler- do I need one?

Notices

Fuel cooler- do I need one?

Old 04-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel cooler- do I need one?

Pulled/sold my 575SCi and installing a known/new to me HP500 with 2.3 top mt whipple Dart Pro1 heads, good bolts, head gaskets and custom calibration on Dyno.

Going in a 28 Pantera, single. Fuel system was custom in the previous home for this engine and I have the components to use in my boat- high end billet filter, electric pump, regulator. Will be fed with 1/2" line from 140 gallon tank, regulator will bypass with 3/8" and return for constant fuel flow and a happy pump. Feed to engine is 1/2". Fuel is not flowing near any hot components aside from the obvious proximity to the engine on the way in but the bypass fuel is pretty far from the exhaust etc.

Water temp will range from 55 to 80 with mostly 70+, not a whole lot colder than air temp.

Will a fuel cooler really do me any good? I know merc uses them but the also keep the whole fuel system much closer to the engine and typically use a more marginal system. I will have a fuel pressure gage as well.

Thanks for any input
Old 04-12-2006, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 123 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Re: Fuel cooler- do I need one?

I used a cool can on a pro street car but under hood temps I think are higher due to no water jacketed headers.

Good question
Old 04-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

With a return back to the tank- No need for the fuel cooler.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Registered

There's a T in my assy right before the filter and aeromotive pump- any issues with returning there vs back at the tank?
It would essentiall dump into the feed line to the assy.

I also need to determine the lesser of the evils with locating the assy. Too low and it could get wet with water in the bilge (Rare occasion) to high and the electric pump will be sucking rather than have a head- not pump friendly- will cruise aeromotive site for tips, but input is welcome pickup comes out the top of the tank so its sucking over that hump regardless- I guess as long as I'm downhill from there I'm good?
Old 04-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Registered

Just talked to the previous owner of the engine- he's twisting my arm to just return to the tank, Pepe confirms there is a bung there- I just need to either feed 3/8 AL line through the same bulkhead fitting or punch another hole. Will likely lay the filter/pump/ reg assy sideways across the bulkhead- anyone know how thick it is so i can get the right sized screws? Guess I can pull some other screws for comparison.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:57 PM
Registered

cattitude, post some pics please. I'm going to mount my fuel system in the next couple of day's and this thread has me reconcidering my plan. Are you running carbs or fuel injection?
Old 04-12-2006, 10:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tomcei
cattitude, post some pics please. I'm going to mount my fuel system in the next couple of day's and this thread has me reconcidering my plan. Are you running carbs or fuel injection?
I'll try, but the boats kinda dirty so I'm not real eager to show it off right now. 500EFI with Whipple- the blue paint on the Whipple's trashed too, original owner says it went bad after 3 weeks and was repainted twice- Dustin says it'll last just fine unless you spill fuel on it. I'll have to redo it eventually but likely will wait till fall- boat season and race season (Rockcrawling) coming on strong.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:11 AM
Registered

I'll try, but the boats kinda dirty so I'm not real eager to show it off right now
I can dig it. It's like having friends over and not cleaning the house

My main concern is the location of your pump in relation to the tank, etc., etc. and the return line. I'm not sure if I should run one or not( return line).

My set up is carb with aeromotive pump and regulator (of course filter first) I am remounting this new equip and only want to do it once.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:18 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do you have anyplace to mount a mechanical pump? If so I would look at www.racepumps.com for carb or EFI. No return required and no bypass regulator.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cobra marty
Do you have anyplace to mount a mechanical pump? If so I would look at www.racepumps.com for carb or EFI. No return required and no bypass regulator.
thanks- I'll check it out, seems like theres a block off plate on the sea water pump- is there a cam lobe on that shaft for driving a pump?

CM- good to see you around- I remember yaking when I got my 25 Daytona a few yrs back

Quick Reply: Fuel cooler- do I need one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.