Props for a Pantera 24

Old 06-06-2006, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Props for a Pantera 24

Originally Posted by littledcsrodshop
My 24 was the same way as storm's I never had a porpose
problem. I always cruised with my tabs up all the way , an
then just set them to adjust any weight offsets that I may Have had. In my opinion ( just my 2 cents ) I really don't believe that you are going to pick up speed by lifting the stern
of the boat. In my opinion you will loose some top end. You may or may not correct the slight draging your port tab issue. but you will more than make up the draging of a small tab by wetting alot more of the surface of your boat , which would create a whole lot more drag than the tab. These conventional v 24's will run fastest with the bow up. If It was a step-bottom boat I would agree with a little stern lift. 8 or so % prop slip is great, So my opinion on a 4 blade is that you may pick up a little mid-range & drivability it will probably come at the cost of a mph or two on top end. Forgive me if I missed this but does the boat porpoise when you are in the boat by your self , or when it is loaded down ect.... Can you make it quit by dropping the trim a touch ?
It ALWAYS porpoises in the mid-range unless I drag some tab. 2 people, 4 people, doesn't matter. Trimming the drive down does not help.

There is no way I could cruise with the tabs all the way up, it would porpoise like crazy. Even at WFO in smooth water it porpoises a little unless you drag some tab. With some chop it doesn't. But in the boat snot you definitely have to drag some tab(I've found about nuetral seems to work the best) to keep the nose from skying off of boat wakes coming in from the side.

I really don't care about the port tab being lower to stay level. I am more concerned with top speed/handling in the boat snot. My logic was if the bow didn't want to launch(less bow lift) off of side boat wakes I could run less tab and MAYBE run faster. But, my thinking could be off.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My opinion is if you are wanting it to run better in rough water & have the best handling you might want to go with
a 4-blade bravo. But I believe it is going to cost that last couple of mph on top end in calm water. With the right
labbed bravo prop you may possibly keep your top end where it is while still gaining the better sloppy water caracteristics of a 4 blade. I believe it is going to be hard to get a better nasty water prop & gain top end at the same time. I am shure you will get many opinions on this subject but I hope this helps some. Also I am not shure what a stock 415 hp 502 should
turn RPM wise ?
Old 06-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by littledcsrodshop
My opinion is if you are wanting it to run better in rough water & have the best handling you might want to go with
a 4-blade bravo. But I believe it is going to cost that last couple of mph on top end in calm water. With the right
labbed bravo prop you may possibly keep your top end where it is while still gaining the better sloppy water caracteristics of a 4 blade. I believe it is going to be hard to get a better nasty water prop & gain top end at the same time. I am shure you will get many opinions on this subject but I hope this helps some. Also I am not shure what a stock 415 hp 502 should
turn RPM wise ?
All opinions help! And that very well may be the case. I like the way the boat runs now but I don't like "not knowing" if I am completely dialed in. That's why I figured I'd start this thread to see what others have found. Stock 502 MPI should run 4800-5000 rpm and I THINK the limiter is 5150. I like to run them close to 5000.

I was also told that the 4 blade Bravo 1 did not work well on the 24 and the Hydro was much better, but I can't remember where I heard/read it.

Last edited by onesickpantera; 06-06-2006 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pantera28-650HP
The Bravo prop is no good for that boat, it feels like you're going to roll over.

I don't remember if a readjusted the tab indicator after I installed the new rubber boots on the tab indicators. You may not be dropping as much tab as you think.

Have you pulled the boat on the trailer with the tab set at the same point as you ran it? I'd do that first.
Kirk, I adjusted the indicators so 5 was nuetral. When running in the boat slop I am running the star tab nuetral and the port slightly negative.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:31 AM
Registered

Missed out on a Bronson Hill labbed Mirage 25 last night on ebay by $5!!!
Attached Thumbnails Props for a Pantera 24-labbed-25-mirage.jpg  
Old 06-07-2006, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey noboat , Tmone runs a five blade on his 24 and says he loves it , think it's faster with the 3 blade if I remember right .
Old 06-07-2006, 12:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by talon25
Hey noboat , Tmone runs a five blade on his 24 and says he loves it , think it's faster with the 3 blade if I remember right .
Talked with him this morning and he said his did the EXACT same thing mine does. He put some weight in the bow and it took care of it. He still runs the 5 blade in the rough and the 3 blade when it's calmer. The 3 blade is 3-4 mph faster on the big end but the 5 blade is much more stable. He brought up a good point, the SE models have a shorter bow than the Sports and they have more weight toward the bow.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:01 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by noboat
He brought up a good point, the SE models have a shorter bow than the Sports and they have more weight toward the bow.
Is it really a shorter bow, or just the windshield moved forward... where's jo / pepe when ya need them.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Stormrider
Is it really a shorter bow, or just the windshield moved forward... where's jo / pepe when ya need them.
6 of one half dozen of the other.

My point was the SE model carries a little more weight fore.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:37 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Noboat, I'm not too sure about that.
Eitherway, knowing won't solve your problem.
I think mounting some lead upfront would be a decent move.
Would 100lbs make enough difference?

And I think speed wise your doing pretty good w/ a stock 502 415hp.
I was running gps of 74-75, and the new owner in fresh water is running hi 70s on speedo. I didn't have the speedo working. BTW, my engine dynoed 550+hp at 5800.

Quick Reply: Props for a Pantera 24

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.