Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Pantera
Where is the Boats Unlimited Special now? >

Where is the Boats Unlimited Special now?

Notices

Where is the Boats Unlimited Special now?

Old 12-13-2006, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the Boats Unlimited Special now?

Does anyone know if Dr. Merola still owns the race 28' 3 pack (with mini rear bolsters) and tripple Merc o/bs?

If not, does anyone know where the boat is now. Jo thought he'd heard it went to NJ.

When I was younger, I used to see this boat all the time up in Alex Bay. I was always crazy about it.

Here's a couple of photos from Panteraboats.com
Attached Thumbnails Where is the Boats Unlimited Special now?-merola.jpg   Where is the Boats Unlimited Special now?-merola2.jpg  
Old 12-14-2006, 12:14 PM
Registered

Default Re: Where is the Boats Unlimited Special now?

I used to work for Rick Merola at Aqua mania I helped rebuild that boat (it sat in a barn for about 10years) the motors were whipped and it was in sad shape. It got put back together and sea trialed a couple times but it was never the same. it needs some serious reworking and new power. Last I heard it did get sold. give Rick a call at aqua mania on the week end (thats the only time he is there) I cant remember the number off the top of my head but you can get it off the web site www.aqua-mania.com
Old 12-14-2006, 12:22 PM
Registered

If anyone does run across that boat if it ever comes up for sale again be very careful and go over it with a fine toothed comb there are some "hidden" issues with it and it has a sketchy past . Some how when Rick owned it it went from being a 1978 model (as per what Jo has told me) to a 1982 model when it was up for sale at aqua mania. I do know the hull was completly gone through at Pantera back in the early 90's to take some of the weight out of it because it was a heavy layup. But no one could ever explain how the HIN was changed. I think there were some shady deals made with that boat.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:29 PM
Registered

I worked on the gas dock at Hutchensons in 1988 right after high school. Compared to most of the boats I saw, that thing was just mean looking, but I had heard that the boat had a history (to be kind).
Old 12-14-2006, 01:00 PM
Registered

It was a mean boat back in the day. From what I have been able to put together the boat had been "stolen" twice and once the insurance checks were cashed and everything was settled it would mysteriously return unharmed without even a scratch. I think this was alot of the reason it was hidden away in the barn behind Aqua-Mania for so many years collecting dust. Until one day we had to clean the barn out and pulled it out then Rick decided we should put it back together and try to sell it. I had seen many people come in to look at it and everytime they were told the history of the boat the story changed.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:14 PM
Registered

Boats (and especially race boats) are just total sh-ee-it magnets aren't they?

Cool story. Anyone know where the boat is now? I'm not looking to buy it, just curious.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:25 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Can't believe it finally sold. It was for sale foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Must have been on ebay a dozen times over the past couple years.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:06 AM
Registered

it would be a tough boat to sell. it has 5 man standup bolsters so its not an ideal family boat and it has a center helm with a tricky throttle and shifter setup which makes it very tough to drive. It was built for racing not for pleasure cruising. He was also asking WAY too much money for the condition of the boat.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:23 AM
Registered

Hey BigD are you from A-Bay? You still live up there?
Old 12-15-2006, 01:04 PM
Registered

I lived up there year round until last year. I still have a cottage in Fishers Landing that I use in the summer. I moved to Naples (southern tier) south end of Canandaigua lake.

Quick Reply: Where is the Boats Unlimited Special now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.