Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The rebuild of the Pantera coloured 509

Im betting on a hurt piston or 2
Old 01-10-2007, 02:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tomcei
Tomas, What size are your carbs? What kind of boost were you running?
The carbs are Holley 800's (I'm going to recheck that but I'm pretty sure), boost is about 5psi.

Originally Posted by MikeFormula
Hey Tomas Wallin, I think that the milky ness is pretty normal if your motor runs really cool. As long as the oil is clean and normal I think it's ok. I think it just the condensation building up under the valve cover. I was having the same problem in my 22 classic Donzi with a worked 454. The oil looked great every time I changed it, but there was some chocolate milk type stuff under the valve cover. I went with a higher (180) thermostat to burn off the condensation and it worked. Just throwing in my 2 cents.
Since there is no water thermostat in the engine I cannot go that route, but I'm thinking of an oil thermostat (like the one on b-stubb's pic) or an oil cooler with built in thermostat.

Originally Posted by littledcsrodshop
Tomas , Have you tore your motor down yet & ifso what kind of headgaskets where on it ? Also was the block oringed & the heads reciever grooved ? The reason I ask is I am putting my Supercharged 511 back togather & I have been doing as much research as I can on my headgaskets because I don't want to deal with the normal leaky copper gasket situation. If I was starting from scratch I would just run a MLS Cometic gasket & be done with it , However since my shortblock is still togather & the block is already ringed I cannot run the MLS so I will be going another route. I have been talking to Dean Gellner from Gellner engenering & I think we have the problem solved. Let me know if your engine is grooved & oringed & ifso I will be glad to pass along any info that I have on the subject. Talk to you later , Scott
The head gaskets are Fel-Pro Loc Wire

Originally Posted by tomcei
tomas, this helped me get rid of condensation.
Works great, but grab your wallet
Yes, I have been keeping that in mind for a while now and will probably realize it now...

Originally Posted by B-Stubb
Im betting on a hurt piston or 2
All pistons looks real good, doesn't seem to have been any detonation or anything so I'm guessing the rings are ready for retirement.

I still haven't got the pics out of my cam...

Last edited by tomas_wallin; 01-10-2007 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Registered

Some pics of the 1st side pistons and heads
There was a little bit of water in some of the pistons on this side... Don't really know how it got there since the exhausts look really fine.
Attached Thumbnails The rebuild of the Pantera coloured 509-sm_dsc01105.jpg   The rebuild of the Pantera coloured 509-sm_dsc01113.jpg  
Old 01-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Registered

2nd side
Attached Thumbnails The rebuild of the Pantera coloured 509-sm_dsc01124.jpg   The rebuild of the Pantera coloured 509-sm_dsc01119.jpg  
Old 01-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Registered

The 1st side pistons have much more carbon (or burnt oil) on them than the 2nd side for some reason.

Here's the #3 piston, valves and cylinder wall (the 80% leak down one)

The moisture marks on the wall is probably WD-40
Attached Thumbnails The rebuild of the Pantera coloured 509-sm_dsc01108.jpg   The rebuild of the Pantera coloured 509-sm_dsc01115.jpg   The rebuild of the Pantera coloured 509-sm_dsc01111.jpg  

Last edited by tomas_wallin; 01-11-2007 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tomas_wallin
Some pics of the 1st side pistons and heads
There was a little bit of water in some of the pistons on this side... Don't really know how it got there since the exhausts look really fine.
If there was water on top of the pistons I would guess it would have been coming from the headgaskets leaking if everything in the exhaust is ok & you wern't getting any reversion.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:08 PM
Registered

If there was water on top of the pistons I would guess it would have been coming from the headgaskets leaking if everything in the exhaust is ok & you wern't getting any reversion.
Yes, but the head gaskets looked fine, altough I only ran it one short turn after the incident with the broken water pump belt when the engine ran dry and got a bit too hot.

Edit: The head gaskets did not look fine, clear signs of leakage between cylinders.

Last edited by tomas_wallin; 05-23-2007 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tomas_wallin
Yes, but the head gaskets looked fine, altough I only ran it one short turn after the incident with the broken water pump belt when the engine ran dry and got a bit too hot.
How hot is a bit too hot ??
Old 01-10-2007, 12:37 PM
Registered

How hot is a bit too hot ??
Kind of like this hot:

Altough I'm pretty sure that there was some water flow the whole time because of the pressure from the pickup. It was really steamy in the engine compartment and some water in the bilge when we opened the hatch.
Attached Thumbnails The rebuild of the Pantera coloured 509-sm_post-9-1158168069.jpg   The rebuild of the Pantera coloured 509-sm_post-9-1158168094.jpg  
Old 01-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Registered

Yeah I would have to agree that is a bit too hot.
It would be hard to tell exactly when the water got in there , whether it was before or after it got hot. I am not shure how much water pressure if any would be running through the engine with the belt gone. ( someone else will probably know that better than I do. ) I am shure you plan on having everything checked out while it is down but I would make shure that I got those heads cheaked out good ( since it got pretty hot. ) I don't really know any other way that the water would have gotten there besides either reversion , Intake gaskets leaking , Headgaskets leaking , or letting go. Unless the heads have issues due to the heat. Which if I had to gamble I would say that the water was probably comming in from the headgaskets , or poss. the intake gaskets. Although I would lean towards the headgaskets because the leakdown & that it had been there before your last run. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by littledcsrodshop; 01-10-2007 at 01:02 PM.

Quick Reply: The rebuild of the Pantera coloured 509

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.