static trim tabs >

static trim tabs

Notices

static trim tabs

Old 07-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default static trim tabs

This may seem way out there so hopefully I don't catch too much over this...

so I have fab'd some 12" x 18" trim tabs similar to k tabs. Issue is that I only have the cylinders from my old 12 x 8 or 9 tabs (the plastic ones) and they do not look to be stout enough for the larger design. I would like to try them out to see the difference so I was looking at fixing them to be parallel with the hull. basically having them in the neutral position all the time until I find proper cylinders.

anyone with similar tabs recommend what position would be best for all around.???

Any thoughts are appreciated....
Old 07-15-2008, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 125 Likes on 57 Posts

Are you saying that your boat has tabs at this point. I can appreicate wanting to make your own stuff, maybe mod what you have, but I would shy away from the complete creation unless your a fairly hard core fab dude. Might be better off looking for something used. (IMO)
Old 07-15-2008, 07:32 PM
Registered

Plastic cylinders (Bennet or boat leveler))will not do squat for anything over 50mph. Doesnt matter how big your tabs are if you dont have the power to push them at high speeds. you need real hyd. trim pumps and cyl.

In my humble opinion of course
Old 07-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Registered

I had the tabs machined by our fabricator offshore so they are not backyard stuff, 1/2" alum plate, 1/4" ss hinges ....Not exactly a complex design though I understand the concerns and that is why I am looking for proper rams.
I will post some pics

I am more concerned with how the boat would run with tabs in the neutral position all the time.

I also read a lot of people needing a bit of negative trim on the port. I am not familiar with the throw on the larger tabs, how much would this difference be at the end of an 18" tab??? obv different for each boat but I am looking for ballpark (.5" ,1",???)

the boat is new to me and I have had limited use with the setup now due to water in the transmission. I hope to have the new trans put in by early next week. Right now I am offshore working and the motors are just turning.
thanks for any input
Old 07-15-2008, 10:51 PM
Registered

probably help:

it is a 24 with 454 330 trs
Old 07-16-2008, 07:54 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

No offense, I would just get some real tabs on her.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Registered

Well after looking at the price of rams and proper pumps........ I am probably going to just purchase some tabs.

What size would someone recommend for a 24.... is there such thing as too large of tabs???
Old 07-16-2008, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Check out the Lenco Marines web site http://lencomarine.com/

I've used there stuff for years and have never had an issue even in high performance applications. They will sell just the accuator which is all electric with no pumps to go bad.
Attached Thumbnails static trim tabs-actuatorpage.gif   static trim tabs-highperfdisplaypa.gif  

Last edited by CIG3; 07-16-2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:59 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Just go w/ the length of the 280s.
Get the good stuff, it will help w/ running the boat, and @ resale time.

Just contact kirk and let him hook you up.
He should be good for follow up calls for help too.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Registered

I went from Bennett tabs to Kplanes on my 24 Baja and it made a world of difference at 65-70mph against a quartering sea. Keep an eye out for a used set in the classifieds. Money well spent, but dont expect to get it back when you sell the boat. So, before you spend a chit load of dough on upgrades, be sure you are gonna keep the boat for a while.

good luck

Quick Reply: static trim tabs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.