Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Pantera
New Pantera 28' w/twin Mercury 300 XS pics. >

New Pantera 28' w/twin Mercury 300 XS pics.

Notices

New Pantera 28' w/twin Mercury 300 XS pics.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Boat has incredible acceleration.

JO

Last edited by JO - PANTERABOATS; 03-31-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you to all for advise.
cleaver 4 blade lab will be here next tuesday,will try and
report back.
the mauritian !
Old 04-05-2009, 11:59 AM

hi.
the props came in today,fitted and tried to go out !
it would not plane or it over rev'd 6000+ before it got going.
result very little improvement.... tank was full as joe suggested.what next does someone have an idea.
ian the mauritian.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Registered

Ian,

I also have a twin 300XS powered 28 (on bracket) that I run in the open ocean. (I am located in the Caribbean). There is some porpoising that changes with conditions, fuel load and trim but it usually easily overcome. I am running the Bravo 1 props and will be testing a pair of Hydromotives this weekend. I will let you know the results.

Things may be somewhat different as mine is an older boat and may have a few more pounds but usually a few degrees down on the tabs and/or tuck in the engines works to eliminate the porpoising.

Getting on plane does take a bit longer than my 28 with transom mounted twins but never an issue. I do not know you experience with this type of set up but feel free to drop me a PM and we can exchange notes.

Here is a picture of my setup which is pretty similar as far I remember (yours was being built while mine was in the shop).
Attached Thumbnails New Pantera 28' w/twin Mercury 300 XS pics.-mercs-bracket.jpg   New Pantera 28' w/twin Mercury 300 XS pics.-stern.jpg   New Pantera 28' w/twin Mercury 300 XS pics.-water-2.jpg  

Old 04-05-2009, 08:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ian e noel
hi.
the props came in today,fitted and tried to go out !
it would not plane or it over rev'd 6000+ before it got going.
result very little improvement.... tank was full as joe suggested.what next does someone have an idea.
ian the mauritian.
Are you adjusting the tabs at all at any point during planing/acceleration?
Old 04-06-2009, 01:11 AM

truetrini.
good to know someone else has a similar boat.
your bracket seams shorter than mine,how deep is yours ?
mine i think is 36 inches.
the other problem i have is that bow is very light,could puting weight up front help ? how much ?
tristar,yes i am using the tab to keep bow down as the bow is so light other wise i spend most of time in the air even at 30 mph.
ian
Old 04-06-2009, 06:01 AM
Registered

Measured horizontally from transom to top outside mounting face of bracket is 26" on mine.

You can go the route of ballast in the bow but it gets tricky because conditions and load will change. I know guys that simply keep extra fuel in the bow and it works for them. A bit of a pain crawling into the bow to keep the fuel fresh with each fill-up but that is the price for performance. Others have a more sophisticated set up with either water or fuel tanks and transfer pumps.

If this is a performance pleasure boat, I would suggest that you try to get it balanced before you start adding weight. A stern lifting prop will help with getting on plane and some of the porpoising … one of the reasons I got the Hydromotives to test. I also have a different set of labbed Bravo 1’s that I will test as well. I will keep you posted.

Have you been able to get it to run without the porpoising? What type of performance are you getting?
Old 04-06-2009, 08:00 AM

truetini.
yesterday with the 4 blade cleaver lab 14.5'' 28, after managing to get the boat to plan hit 75 mph but still a lot of
porposing had to pull back.
what are hydromotives props?
what do you mean by get it balanced?
ian
Old 04-06-2009, 09:19 PM
Registered

Poroising at 75? At that speed you should be trimmed out nicely and running far back on the hull. That is odd. Can't say that I have ever experienced major porpoising at that kind of speed.

Hydromotives are simply a brand of props. You can find info on their website at hydromotive.com. They are quite helpful if you call them as well. They are supposed to provide a bit more stern lift than the bravos.

By balance, I mean try to get the boat set-up correctly prior to adding ballast. You might want to play with engine height as well.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:58 AM
Registered

Sharp looking boat Jo. Great work!

Quick Reply: New Pantera 28' w/twin Mercury 300 XS pics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.