Notices

rounded deck on my '77', lets discuss

Old 12-14-2011, 07:25 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

VC, restomod.
I think it looks great as it is.
But i would definitely throw some new reliable power and a B1 on there. Maybe a nice built 502 or 510... 550hp+ w/ SM exhaust. Would sound nice too.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormrider
VC, restomod.
I think it looks great as it is.
But i would definitely throw some new reliable power and a B1 on there. Maybe a nice built 502 or 510... 550hp+ w/ SM exhaust. Would sound nice too.
that's the tentative plan......500ish cubic inches, ( 502, 496 stroker, 510 or the like). i'm thinking a horsepower per cubic inch or so of reliable bbc power would be attainable without any really exotic parts or machine work.

i have a complete bravo 1 in a 1.65 ratio with all the associated hardware. (gimble assembly, pump, rams etc....) it has almost no time on it and it is in mint condition.

i haven't sold the volvo yet but it is for sale and i have someone interested. i'm just afraid of not being a good steward to this boat as i feel a certain responsibility to do it "justice" because of its place in pantera history.

thanks for all the input guys!

have a good night, rob.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:38 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

"i have a complete bravo 1 in a 1.65 ratio with all the associated hardware."
Not that this wont work, but most of us are running 1.5 ratio, so it'll make dialing it in a bit tougher w/o equal comparisons.

Last edited by Stormrider; 12-14-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

i have a complete bravo 1 in a 1.65 ratio with all the associated hardware.
Not that this wont work, but most of us are running 1.5 ratio, so it'll make dialing it in a bit tougher w/o equal comparisons.
yeah, i know a 1.5 is more common but a 1.65 will work with the right prop.

i bought the whole shooting match for a "song" as a "take off'". if i was to order a new one i would have ordered a 1.5.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:50 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

How hard is it to have it changed?
Would you be better off w/ a smaller prop running higher rpms?
Old 12-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

How hard is it to have it changed?
Would you be better off w/ a smaller prop running higher rpms?
i'm wondering about that myself. i guess the main thing would be to make sure we "cam" the engine to work in the rpm range we will be operating in.

i wonder how big a difference i will see between the 1.5 and the 1.65 as far as prop shaft rpm goes.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:07 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't worry about engine design, you will build the engine with the rpm range you want it to run regardless of the drive ratio.
If you plan on using a 502 at around 500hp you will be able to turn a 28" prop at 1.65ratio or a 26" prop at 1.5 ratio for very similar speeds but each blade on a 28" prop pushes through less water (distance) per revolution to go farther therefore a small amount of less drag and will yield a small but measurable increase in top speed. 1.65 drive will increase the torque at the prop shaft and shaft bearings, with an inexperienced operator you could see more service issues, this is why most manufacturers use the 1.5 or 1.32 as standard with all OEM applications. A small manufacturer(Formula) supplied most all 292 and 353 models with 1.65 drives because of the performance gains afforded by this, my guess is they did some substantial testing. I think you will be as good or most likely better with a 1.65 unless you go huge on the motor like a blown 572" 1000+hp monster
Old 12-17-2011, 09:19 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by IRONMAN
Don't worry about engine design, you will build the engine with the rpm range you want it to run regardless of the drive ratio.
If you plan on using a 502 at around 500hp you will be able to turn a 28" prop at 1.65ratio or a 26" prop at 1.5 ratio for very similar speeds but each blade on a 28" prop pushes through less water (distance) per revolution to go farther therefore a small amount of less drag and will yield a small but measurable increase in top speed. 1.65 drive will increase the torque at the prop shaft and shaft bearings, with an inexperienced operator you could see more service issues, this is why most manufacturers use the 1.5 or 1.32 as standard with all OEM applications. A small manufacturer(Formula) supplied most all 292 and 353 models with 1.65 drives because of the performance gains afforded by this, my guess is they did some substantial testing. I think you will be as good or most likely better with a 1.65 unless you go huge on the motor like a blown 572" 1000+hp monster
thanks for the info ironman! my engine will be an aluminum head, 9.5 to 1 or 10 to 1 compression, naturally aspirated pump gas bbc.

do you think a 3 blade or a 4 blade prop is better for me? ( i know this is a loaded question but, in general )
Old 12-17-2011, 09:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

thursday night i met the original owner of my boat at a christmas party. he's still good friends with the gentleman i bought the boat from. he only owned it for a year and his wife mandated that he sell it after a high speed turn when she was nearly ejected.

i gathered some really cool info from talking with him for an hour or two.

some things he told me:

he met pepe through a boat trader news letter where pepe had the number 1 made black and white boat listed for sale.

he tried to buy the first boat but pepe had just sold it when he called on it.

pepe told him he had number two in the works and it would be ready for sale in a couple months.

my boat was going to be a red white and blue color scheme in celebration of the bicentenial but carl (the first owner) didn't want a red white and blue boat so he asked pepe to do the all white with red white and black interior.

when he went to miami to see the hull and work out the deal with pepe, he met him in a neighborhood where the boat was being built in a two car garage (pre 188 st.). some guys who were unable to speak english were there working on the boat and the only thing they understood was "pepe".

when he picked up the boat a few months later he sea tested it with pepe.

my boat made a couple of trips back to florida over the years.

the cost new was 8,900 with the target trailer.

there was no official option list. pepe built the boat for carl as discussed over drinks.

carl also has met don aranow and reggie fountain in the early days as he had a side business of transporting sport boats back to ohio. he said reggie was a bit of a dick but aranow was really cool. (when aranow owned apache he asked him for a t-shirt upon picking up a boat and don gave him a stack of shirts for his buddies. later, he went to fountain to pick up a 41 foot boat and asked reggie for a shirt. reggie told him it would be 15 bucks and carl told him, and this is a direct quote, "shove it up your ass"!)

carl is a real cool, surley old goat and a wealth of info regarding 70's and 80's off shore boats.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
thursday night i met the original owner of my boat at a christmas party. he's still good friends with the gentleman i bought the boat from. he only owned it for a year and his wife mandated that he sell it after a high speed turn when she was nearly ejected.

i gathered some really cool info from talking with him for an hour or two.

some things he told me:

he met pepe through a boat trader news letter where pepe had the number 1 made black and white boat listed for sale.

he tried to buy the first boat but pepe had just sold it when he called on it.

pepe told him he had number two in the works and it would be ready for sale in a couple months.

my boat was going to be a red white and blue color scheme in celebration of the bicentenial but carl (the first owner) didn't want a red white and blue boat so he asked pepe to do the all white with red white and black interior.

when he went to miami to see the hull and work out the deal with pepe, he met him in a neighborhood where the boat was being built in a two car garage (pre 188 st.). some guys who were unable to speak english were there working on the boat and the only thing they understood was "pepe".

when he picked up the boat a few months later he sea tested it with pepe.

my boat made a couple of trips back to florida over the years.

the cost new was 8,900 with the target trailer.

there was no official option list. pepe built the boat for carl as discussed over drinks.

carl also has met don aranow and reggie fountain in the early days as he had a side business of transporting sport boats back to ohio. he said reggie was a bit of a dick but aranow was really cool. (when aranow owned apache he asked him for a t-shirt upon picking up a boat and don gave him a stack of shirts for his buddies. later, he went to fountain to pick up a 41 foot boat and asked reggie for a shirt. reggie told him it would be 15 bucks and carl told him, and this is a direct quote, "shove it up your ass"!)

carl is a real cool, surley old goat and a wealth of info regarding 70's and 80's off shore boats.
Sounds about right. aronow "cool" and reggie "dick"...I like it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.