Prop question for 28 (hard to plane) >

Prop question for 28 (hard to plane)

Notices

Prop question for 28 (hard to plane)

Old 07-13-2013, 07:48 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1997 Pantera with twins also turning 30 pitch Bravo 1. I have high x dimension also. I have no problem getting on plane in any conditions. I usually just throttle to 3500 RPM with drives in all the way, tabs netural. In a few seconds I am on plane. Had 28 pitch Bravos before the 30 and just saw an increase in top end. Not really any change in take off. I did add weight to the nose though for better balance about 200 lbs. of lead glassed in.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jimjomack
I have a 1997 Pantera with twins also turning 30 pitch Bravo 1. I have high x dimension also. I have no problem getting on plane in any conditions. I usually just throttle to 3500 RPM with drives in all the way, tabs netural. In a few seconds I am on plane. Had 28 pitch Bravos before the 30 and just saw an increase in top end. Not really any change in take off. I did add weight to the nose though for better balance about 200 lbs. of lead glassed in.
I have to slowly bump my throttles to get on plane or the props will blow out. If I try and smoothly throttle to 3500 the boat will sit still turning the props. Are you drives spinning in or out?
Old 07-16-2013, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Prostreet144
Looks like I will do drive spacers in the fall. Im may step down to some 28's if I find a good deal on a used pair to make the boat a little more friendly for cruising.
I have one 1" spacer with all necessary hardware that was used for a few hours if you're interested.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Jimjom where and how did you glass the weight in? How did it change your ride?
Old 07-20-2013, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Used lead shot at very front where bow hits water line. Used resin mixed with the lead then a few layers of glass on top. I then foam filled entire hull front to back. There are no open cavities. This helped a lot in ocean as it keeps the nose driving into waves. Keeps waves from pushing nose up. Also helps keeping boat level when jumping wave to wave.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Also My drives turn outward.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Prostreet144
I have a 28 twin big block pantera with bravo 1's outback spinning 4 blade bravo 30P props . I was told by the orginal owner that the x dimension was raised compared to the normal 28 pantera (has raised engine hatch and carbs/air cleaners are stuffed pretty tight against the hatch). My problem is that it is a real pain to plane. It is a touchy procedure to get it on plane without blowing the props loose in calm water. I got caught in some rough water this past week and it was impossible to get the boat to plane without blowing the props loose, I mean impossible. You almost have to see it to believe it. I was thinking of buying a set of 28 bravos as im not worring about loosing top end but am unsure exactly how much these would help. I am thinking that the 28's may break loose easier trying to plane compared to the 30's. What do you guys think?
mine is a pig in the hole as well and i'm not trying for hole shots but just a smooth take off. I've tried different tab positions and get the same result, the bow won't tip over until after 3500 RPM. I HATE waiting for the boat to "catch up" to the RPM's... spinning 28's with twins and bravo1x drives.

Last edited by jimishooch; 08-07-2013 at 12:04 PM.