Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Pantera
change twin's to single?????? >

change twin's to single??????

Notices

change twin's to single??????

Old 08-14-2002, 11:16 AM
JerseyDevil

Question change twin's to single??????

What kind of work would this take, New transom? Stringers?
I'm tring to get more info on the boat.
Not sure of year yet but it 28', without motors and drives.
Thanks Tom

Old 08-14-2002, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know stringers will be and issue, when I had mine built I had to make a decision so Jo knew which to put in. I would drop Jo an e-mail. No one would know better than he and Pepe
Old 08-15-2002, 09:39 PM
GaryMMM

I know that filling in the twin transom mounts and cutting a single is possible without a new transom. However the transom should be checked for any rotten soft spots. Soft spots will become clear once you start cutting. If the transom is rotted, you will need a new one. The old hole should be filled with templated formed bonded layers of marine plywood sealed in epoxy. The inside off the plugs should be fastened to the inside of the transom with aluminum plates. The single cut out must be sealed with epoxy. The stringers usually can be fit with custom motor cradle mounts to fit the single. Maybe a marine surveyor would help.

I do think that twin 377 Viper small blocks would be great and double your reliability (good HP/weight ratio). Before deciding calculate the cost of twins (engines , outdrives and guages) vs. a single (transom work, dash work, big block, XR outdrive and guages). Twins may be best and faster. GaryM