Red Roar 1978 24SE restoration starts >

Red Roar 1978 24SE restoration starts

Notices

Red Roar 1978 24SE restoration starts

Old 04-15-2015, 10:05 AM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Correct, port or starboard side doesn't matter. My Pantera has two louver style vents on either side. My hose exits out the vent closest to the stern. Mine also has two smaller circular vents on the aft part of deck above rub rail. These are to allow the free flow of air to exit the engine compartment. I would not obstruct either of those but in your case it doesn't seem that was the way it was rigged. It may not be a bad idea to add those two vents. You can see the two vents just above the rub rail. The intake section of the hose should be near the lowest part of the bilge as this is where the heavier than air fumes accumulate. Also as an FYI its better to run your bilge blower with the engine hatch closed. Once you open the engine hatch, wind may recirculate fumes in the bilge without being properly removed. With the engine hatch open, were a spark to ignite fumes, those in the cockpit would be exposed to the resultant explosion and flames. Better to be safe than sorry. The hose is supported by large cushion hangers up under the lip of the engine hatch so it's out of the way.
Attached Thumbnails Red Roar 1978 24SE restoration starts-img_0111.jpg  

Last edited by Ing; 04-15-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Russ has done a superb job in asking silly (never a silly question) and there has been lots of help from all on here. We have been working our socks off. And I am going to try and give some photo updates.

Here is the original instrument console. Ready for a new owner.

And when someone said they were going to cut corners with the wiring, well......

Not sure this toilet was going to last. There must be a better use for the hole

All the bright work was removed and sent for a good re polish or re-chrome

New instrument console designed

New engine arrived

Wiring ready to go in

New chrome. Mmmmm

Toilet pipes capped off. Even had these chromed

Only took leg apart as needed to renew the water pipe fixing and put new pipe on. But leg now greased and rebuilt.

First fix of new console

And new hatch (old wooden one is now fire wood to keep us warm ) Awaiting powder coating.

And the new console taking shape.

Lots more to come. But run out of time.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:32 AM
Registered

So. This lot has to be fitted to the new Chevy

Nice new brass core plugs

It's all ready to transplant.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ing
Correct, port or starboard side doesn't matter. My Pantera has two louver style vents on either side. My hose exits out the vent closest to the stern. Mine also has two smaller circular vents on the aft part of deck above rub rail. These are to allow the free flow of air to exit the engine compartment. I would not obstruct either of those but in your case it doesn't seem that was the way it was rigged. It may not be a bad idea to add those two vents. You can see the two vents just above the rub rail. The intake section of the hose should be near the lowest part of the bilge as this is where the heavier than air fumes accumulate. Also as an FYI its better to run your bilge blower with the engine hatch closed. Once you open the engine hatch, wind may recirculate fumes in the bilge without being properly removed. With the engine hatch open, were a spark to ignite fumes, those in the cockpit would be exposed to the resultant explosion and flames. Better to be safe than sorry. The hose is supported by large cushion hangers up under the lip of the engine hatch so it's out of the way.
we dont have any vents in the sides of the bilge and dont have any in the rear either. we dont have vents full stop. the only vent is the passage way forward to the tunnel that leads to the side vents but if i put the bilge fan outlet down one of those we would block the air coming in and the fan would have to work overtime when on the move as air would be coming the other way. i just cant work out how to vent it without fitting more vents which i dont really want to do.
has anyone got a 24 that doesnt have vents and how was that done or any other ideas.
we have such a short top section at he back i am not sure there is space for a vent
Old 04-16-2015, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That dash looks sweet,what a work of art
Old 04-16-2015, 01:03 PM
Registered

the guy is a guru isnt he
Old 04-16-2015, 01:51 PM
Registered

the dash does look good - but metal? why not fiberglass?
Old 04-16-2015, 02:54 PM
Registered

because, if you know what you are doing and have all the machinery it is far easier to form in aluminium and then when done, powder coat it.
at the moment it is in whats called rough. it allows us to still mess about with it to get the fit right.
should be all done soon and i will post a picture to show you what i mean

Last edited by Red Roar; 04-16-2015 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 410 Likes on 183 Posts

Man I like that dash keep the pics coming.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:47 AM
Registered

Hopefully a video clip

Last edited by Dealse; 04-17-2015 at 12:50 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.