Red Roar 1978 24SE restoration starts

Notices

Red Roar 1978 24SE restoration starts

Old 01-14-2015, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]535648[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]535649[/ATTACH]
I faced the same problem for my passengers. I usually just do the lower unit to trim tab thing. I contemplated mounting the bracket for a transom ladder.

http://www.armstrongnautical.com/marine_ladders.htm

http://www.stainlessmarine.com/?wpsc...-ladder-4-step

but took the easier (cheaper) route and found a three step folding ladder at West Marine that I can sling over the gunnel. It fits perfect over the gunnel but getting the first foot up can be difficult. I'd buy the four step if you really plan a lot of re boarding. I also had Velcro straps sewed on the pad so the ladder is secure underway. Hope this helps.
many thanks that decided one bit i was stuck on with the 3 or 4 question
Old 01-14-2015, 11:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Craney
Go to http://slideanchor.com and take a look at the side step platform
that looks pretty clever to me thanks
Old 01-14-2015, 11:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
30 years of back yard a$$holes sticking any wire they could find anywhere the inspiration of too many beers while working on the boat makes most boat harnesses look like a bird's nest on steroids. .
in my case derek its a 78 so i have 36 years of nightmare solutions, terminal block, PVC tape, non insulated ferrules and the record so far was a point to point wire that changed colour a total of 4 times in a 15 foot length. i took one look and decided it all had to come out. i have most sussed out thanks and i have bought some ground point blocks to create my own earth points and will two wire the lot.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Red Roar
many thanks that decided one bit i was stuck on with the 3 or 4 question
This is what I used. Just a small plastic and steel block mounted high on the transom. Nothing gets in the way. A little pricey but worth it to me.

http://www.iboats.com/mall/image/view/7/1/19853_2_2.jpg
Old 01-14-2015, 12:25 PM
Registered

never a fan of having them anywhere near the prop end of things to get a skier out the water Shawna. maybe just me. not sure why but would prefer something to board on the side.
how do you remove that one ?
Old 01-14-2015, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

With the stern ladders you pretty much need a platform to attach-stow the ladder. I had a side ladder that hooked to the top of the gunwhale. (Gunnell?) But i forgot to remove it one day and the river did it for me.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:42 PM
Registered

never a fan of having them anywhere near the prop end of things to get a skier out the water Shawna. maybe just me. not sure why but would prefer something to board on the side.
those are the issues i am deciding over. what i have sort of got in my head is something that folds, so i win on the space, something that is detachable so i can stow, something that mounts from the side so i am nowhere near the prop, something that clips or plugs into place so if i am a total doofus and leave it in, i might stand half a chance of not losing it before i notice. problem i can see is that i dont have much "meat" on the side to mount plugs or whatever and that if i did i am thinking the ladder would then be stuck out at sea a foot off the boat.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

There is a pin that you just pull and the whole ladder lifts out of a dovetail. the ladder folds in on itself and stores easy under the rear seat. I never use it with the motor running.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SHAWNA
I never use it with the motor running.
people who use boarding ladders with the engine running, even on the side of the hull, should be chopped up by the prop and used for chum. oh right. they probably will be!!
Old 01-14-2015, 10:38 PM
Registered

must be a regional thing as over here they often just engage neutral with skiers and never shut them off. might be fear they wont start again. always gives me the proper willies. hate it. hence why not wanting to be near it if possible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.